Useless 8x4?

Thorium Flakk Inc.

Useless 8x4?

#1 Post by Thorium Flakk Inc. » 14 Apr 2021 10:45

I like hauling heavy cargo. I got the heavy and high power DLC and it's awesome. It's very fulfilling when your 750hp Volvo monster is crawling at 16 km/h on the Stavanger-Oslo road ascent, screaming at high RPM. "This is what I bought you for" :mrgreen:

But I'm a bit disappointed that hauling heaviest cargo with an 8x4 truck, I had to raise the third (midlift) unpowered axle on more than one occasion because otherwise the truck had insufficient traction on ascents. Especially in rain. Especially in rain on gravel (taking stuff out of quarries for example), diff lock or not. You lose momentum for whatever reason and have to restart it? Middle axle up or else the powered ones are spinning in place.

Reason I suppose is that the heaviest of cargoes comes with low loaders that have axles in the front, which takes off the weight and thus traction from the power axles. With owned trailer you can have one without front axles but that thing is super unstable, bends like a reed in hurricane, in curves, and I don't like them.

Similarly, high ratio gearboxes (like eg. Volvo's 12+2) aren't as useful either, for us casual players with no pedals. Since there's no keybinding for "constant throttle", and CC starts biting only at 30+ km/h, the lowest (highest ratio) gears are basically useless. You touch the throttle key and it flies of into max RPM. You can't pin down the exact RPM you want to keep pulling at desired low rate. Too much and wheels start spinning in place, you lost traction. You shift up, the truck loses momentum, you have to downshift again. Repeat. So high ratio gearboxes are out for me as well...

So lately I've been driving only 6x4 trucks, Scania 730, Volvo 750, they all do the job just fine (for heavy cargo) if you know how to drive not needing high ratio gearbox, and not needing the third midlift axle at all, and hoping you won't lose momentum. :geek:

Return to “Gameplay Questions”