[REWORK] NM, OR (and future DLCs) public research and rework suggestions

Unknown#

[REWORK] NM, OR (and future DLCs) public research and rework suggestions

#1 Post by Unknown# » 23 Feb 2019 04:52

SCS has been getting better and better at accurately recreating cities, towns, road networks, and landscapes of the US. Starting with New Mexico, quality has gone up quite a bit since they've rescaled the map. But, there are some things that are missing, stuff that can be added or removed (if necessary), to the land of the state DLCs.

To kick this off, the section of U.S 70 from the junction where the Lincoln, NM monument is to Tularosa between Carrizozo and Alamogordo. It leaves a bit of a weird, empty space that doesn't look great. Tularosa doesn't have to be a place for depots, it could just be a scenery town (I mean, the Tularosa Travel Center, I think, is in the game after all).

So what could be included or improved in New Mexico, Oregon, Washington (and any future DLCs after) to bring them up to current standards? Do you have an answer? Then you're in the right place.

P.S. Thanks to rbsanford for the idea. I've created this topic after being told off by Kraake. So, here we are. Got anything that can be added or improved upon, just type it in below. Thanks for your time!
rbsanford

Re: NM, OR, WA (and future DLCs) public research and rework suggestions

#2 Post by rbsanford » 23 Feb 2019 07:06

Carrizozo Malpais would be neat as scenery on US 380 just west of Carrizozo. It's this huge field of crystallized lava that the highway crosses:

[ external image ]

I can't think of anything else that would need to be added, really. As they are, NM and OR are chock-full of detail that I never thought would be included, like Philmont Scout Ranch (as a former Scout, this was a nice surprise), and their terrain is done so well that you can identify what each mountain range in the game is based on. Signage at the Great Continental Divide would be great, though, as that's a significant east/west divider, and it's kind of nice to know what ocean your water is draining into.

But if I had to add a road to NM, I'd have to go with that missing bit of US 60 between Socorro and Vaughn. Or maybe NM 602 and 36 to directly connect Gallup and Quemado, a stretch that also includes some nice rock formations, wide open spaces, and lovely mountains.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
angrybirdseller

#3 Post by angrybirdseller » 23 Feb 2019 07:13

US60 going to be squeeze because of map space in Albuquerque coast mining prefab. US70 maybe be different in terms of space it’s 1:20 scale
rbsanford

#4 Post by rbsanford » 23 Feb 2019 07:51

I can see liberties being taken with the 60, like splitting it from Socorro's northern junction instead of a different interchange to the north.

Handy maps and diagrams.

Unknown#

#5 Post by Unknown# » 24 Feb 2019 00:10

How about U.S 180 From Alpine (in AZ) to Deming?
rbsanford

#6 Post by rbsanford » 24 Feb 2019 00:56

That would be a nice road, especially with NM 12 and 32 to hook up to Quemado. Silver City could be a marked town, so that area isn't as empty as it is, and so western NM could have some more destinations. Then NM 152 may also be necessary, to connect to I-25.

Handy maps and diagrams.

rbsanford

#7 Post by rbsanford » 05 Mar 2019 02:14

As for Oregon, the 58 between Eugene and US 97, which is marked on the dev map in grey, seems like a nice potential addition. Here are some highlights of that road:

Roadside view of Odell Lake and Diamond Peak.

Above the ravine of Salt Creek.

High cliffs above Salt Creek.

Rugged mountains above the Willamette River, or at least I think it's the Willamette here. Label your rivers, Google.

Stores in Oakridge.

At the south end of Lookout Point Lake on the Willamette.

A rest stop at the north end of the lake, near the dam creating it.

By Dexter Reservoir on the Willamette, near Lowell Covered Bridge.

Crossing an annoyingly unmarked river about two miles from I-5.

In addition to this scenery, the road offers an alternate route between I-5 and US 97, one that's more direct between Klamath Falls and the Willamette Valley than US 20.

Handy maps and diagrams.

Sora

#8 Post by Sora » 16 Mar 2019 08:47

It may not be marked, but it is signed. ...On one side.

So what we call "beautiful scenery", Oregon apparently calls "business as usual".
Unknown#

#9 Post by Unknown# » 04 Apr 2019 14:59

The junction of U.S 550 and I-5 is a bit off. This is what it actually looks like:

[ external image ]

It's not a big deal, but considering the junction over in Medford, OR that is similar to this, I know it can be done.
rbsanford

#10 Post by rbsanford » 15 Apr 2019 19:33

Well, OR 58 has been confirmed! The blog announcing it mentions Odell Lake, Diamond Peak, and the ravine of Salt Creek. I wonder how many more points of interest I outlined will be included.

Handy maps and diagrams.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”