New Volvo Trucks!

rookie_one

New Volvo Trucks!

#1 Post by rookie_one » 27 Feb 2020 13:36

Last edited by rookie_one on 27 Feb 2020 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here
rookie_one

Re: New Volvo Trucks!

#2 Post by rookie_one » 27 Feb 2020 13:37

rookie_one

#3 Post by rookie_one » 27 Feb 2020 13:39

rookie_one

#4 Post by rookie_one » 27 Feb 2020 13:40

Ilmiont

#5 Post by Ilmiont » 27 Feb 2020 16:05

Ugh, now Volvo follows the horrendous digital interior approach.

Overall I decided I quite like the FH 2012 but this is a step too far. Screens, screens, screen, and yet more screens.

Nobody seems to build trucks for driving anymore. Oh well, I suspect we're already long past the point where small fleets are interested in getting new vehicles.

Chances of fixing a current-gen truck in your own workshop? Getting slimmer and slimmer and slimmer.

Chances of finding drivers who want everything to be a screen? Contrary to Volvo's press release, from my (entirely anecdotal) experience, not much better.

The new FH16 grille looks so odd too. Exterior wise in general I suppose they're just more of the same although it doesn't look quite as sleek.

Inside... well, I really doubt this is going to do much to help get more drivers into trucks. On the ground, I know drivers are already fed up with the digitalisation of driving, yet manufacturers seem to insist that everything must go on a screen.

---

But oh well, I suppose resistance is futile. Probably in a few more years, the industry will centralise even more around a handful of big players, with family firms squeezed out altogether, partly from choice and partly from inability to compete at scale and partly from inability to source and maintain modern vehicles. For a long time, older trucks will stick around, and maybe even create a brief period of rapid acquisition by smaller firms, but there'll only be so much longer before emission zones make them unviable to run.

Rant over, I don't like modern trucks, much of the industry doesn't like them either, I'm sad Volvo have done this to the FH. They already took away the manual gearbox, and now they've taken away the instrument cluster. The Volvo I want is disappearing and I'm sad we had such brilliant vehicles and now it's all being diluted at the whim of lawmakers and "driver experience" teams at the manufacturers.

At least there'll always be ETS2, where I'll keep driving my previous-gen FHs, probably for decades to come. But I don't think I'll be buying any of this new generation.
Ilmiont on World of Trucks

EU: 2012 Volvo FH16
US: 2016 Kenworth W900 / 2015 Volvo VNL
felipe_hostins

#6 Post by felipe_hostins » 26 Mar 2020 22:08

Awesome truck!! Volvo`s are my favorite.. Can`t wait to see this new truck in ETS, beautiful dashboard :D
Polarlicht

#7 Post by Polarlicht » 26 Mar 2020 22:22

I like the new version! I guess it's just a facelift and i hope SCS can make those a little quicker, since it's not a complete new truck!?
And i like all the screens.
Some hate them, but most people just want more infotainment and comfort! Those old times where drivers were drivers with a stick shift gear box and
no AC and no satnav, bla bla, are gone, and thank goodness for that!! Thats where we go, deal with it!
And screens are more usefull than a simple gauge!
xXCARL1992Xx

#8 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 Mar 2020 22:24

but when a gauge breaks only the one does, if a screen breaks you can forget to drive at all, same for mirror cams, this is the reason why Scania didnt go full digital even though they could have don it easily
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Polarlicht

#9 Post by Polarlicht » 27 Mar 2020 08:31

Eh, thats like saying i don't go outside because a meteor might hit me...
Too pessimistic :lol:
Last edited by Polarlicht on 27 Mar 2020 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
B787

#10 Post by B787 » 27 Mar 2020 08:39

@xXCARL1992Xx +1 for this :!: Exactly this already happened in my car. From one to the next second everything was black... :roll:

Return to “Real world”