SCS General Discussion Thread

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
alecwarper

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#47661 Post by alecwarper » 11 Jun 2020 15:32

First, obviously, the Boise blog must mean Idaho is coming along quite soon! I'm really really surprised by this, but certainly not complaining! I'm a little surprised 1.38's Open Beta hasn't started yet and we've already got the largest city blog, though! I'm guessing 1.38 will be a very minor update, since we just got the last one. Continuous improvement of FMOD, Idaho compatibility, maybe a nice quality of life feature or two.

But on to the meat of this blog, Idaho itself.... WOW! I was NOT expecting Boise to blow me away, its not really that big of a city IRL, and I BELIEVE its even the smallest largest city we've gotten for a state (please correct me if I'm wrong). But I guess that just means all the more reason to do it justice! In reality Boise is probably the best city possible to really go ALL out with the detail and urban areas, as its quite spread out IRL, and there really isn't much else around. That's SO cool that they actually added so much of the downtown in, and I really like that they let you get up close with that large stadium too! its kinda hard to tell from the screenshots, but it looks like they let you get sorta close to the Capital building too, which is quite cool. Other state capitals had their Capital buildings too, but would often be quite distant or obscured. I also really like the Boise paramedics, thats such a nice detail!

Amazing job as always, SCS, you never cease to amaze!

flight50

#47662 Post by flight50 » 11 Jun 2020 15:47

Same here. But Tomorrow is a different day. What if an EOB comes tomorrow. For OB, there would be post in the bug threads by now. I can't remember if they post a bug report for EOB early. Only time will tell. But yes the screen shot look great. They look alive. Several impressive shots. I totally agree with ou @alecwarper. The Boise area is the perfect metro area to go all out. We got Nampa screen shots before I believe. And now Boise and Meridian. We will get a nice drivable area with this dlc in the state's capitol. The blue and white ambulance is definitely an eye catcher. It adds a lot of character.

Some newbie driver

#47663 Post by Some newbie driver » 11 Jun 2020 15:47

Bandit & The Snowman wrote:
11 Jun 2020 11:10
I'm not sure SCS will raise the requirements for the games by means of the graphics update. So you're safe both with your graphics card and RAM. The technical update for graphics was already rolled out with DX11, what will follow with the graphics update is assets, assets and assets. Buildings, prefabs, skybox etc., anything that profits from DX11
Well, I really disagree with that; let me explain:

DX11 was introduced in previous updates yes; but what they did then was "just" (not just, but i'm simplifying) replace the API calls from DX9 to DX11 and adjusting things that should be forcefully changed. Then they added some extra things (we know it for sure, because we were told RttBS could not be run on DX9); but more or less we had the same graphics than before with small changes.

It's just now that they are going to do the big technical update. It's now that they are going to use the capabilities of the DX11 to really do big things that weren't unable to do in DX9. For example, if they are going to touch lighting, potentially we could finally get proper AI headlights, our headlights would not cut through bridges or other obstacles or terrain, more realistic nigh illumination and occlusion, better shadows, get rid of that excessive glow on illuminated zones (that are so bright and white that lose a great part of their detail....). We are playing on DX11, but with a ligting systems conceived for DX9 and lots of years ago. Those are technical changes, all of them; and doesn't forcefully require changes in any asset; although they probably had to do it because new lights will behave weird on the old models full of tricks to cheat our eyes (I'm sure there will be a lots of bugs of this kind to be fixed on the beta and beyond).

And there's lots of other technical changes they had to do and that doesn't are directly involved with changing assets. We lack a proper AA system, HDR, better reflections, particle clouds, longer view range (well, this one indeed requires at least map editions)... And everything of this will require more raw power to be dealt with. Question is, depending on how they do it; that extra resources will be from our GPUs, that actually in most cases aren't sweating at all; so there's room to improve without we having to notice a performance loss. Maybe further changes will be trickier regarding that unless they get rid soon of the mono-core bottle-neck. And in the meantime, of course, they will keep improving the assets; but the hard work to do is still more technical than "artistic".

Next one will not be at all the last of the updates with big changes in graphics. They had a lot of work to do in order to bring those games into the 20's decade.

Regards

Marcello Julio

#47664 Post by Marcello Julio » 11 Jun 2020 15:56

The blog post of Boise today coincidentally was made, when the Washington DLC makes 1 year of your launch!

dk00?

#47665 Post by dk00? » 11 Jun 2020 16:32

I don't know why, but I just can't be bothered to do this world of trucks event. Been getting some miles in the Mack, 26,000 miles in the past 6 days.
Tales of An Owner/Operator 7-27-2019-Heading Home to Albuquerque.
DK's Screenshots(5-26-2019)

-Raiden-

#47666 Post by -Raiden- » 11 Jun 2020 16:38

parasaurolophus67 wrote:
11 Jun 2020 15:01
WOW! BOISE IS FREAKING AMAZING! :DDDD Even the ambulances and firetrucks are different!
I think we need more of those for other cities and regions. Same for other service vehicles, like the school busses.

The Boise previews were quite amazing. I really look forward to both Idaho and Colorado.
I just hope that ATS can keep up pace when it comes to rolling gear, so both trucks and trailers.
SCS-trucksim veteran - ETS2: since December 2012 / ATS: since release in February 2016 / Several 18WoS parts even before that

My Photo Album (ETS2) | My American Journeys (ATS) | My WoT-profile

gandalf7472000

#47667 Post by gandalf7472000 » 11 Jun 2020 16:51

Nemiro just said in the stream. maybe some news will be revealed tomorrow ;)
There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Carl Sagan

flight50

#47668 Post by flight50 » 11 Jun 2020 16:57

News about what....1.38? I wasn't on the stream. That would be a perfect weekend coming for me if it was a beta.

gandalf7472000

#47669 Post by gandalf7472000 » 11 Jun 2020 16:59

Said nothing more, just that."maybe some news will be revealed tomorrow" and sound improvements will come soon
There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Carl Sagan

flight50

#47670 Post by flight50 » 11 Jun 2020 17:09

Hmmm. If he went that far as to say maybe tomorrow......something is coming in the next 5 days for sure in some form of an update. I'd love to get 1.38 open in which both sound and graphic can be targeted. Make one huge bug log. I am cool with another long beta. That gives more polishing time for Idaho as well as fixes before public releases.

Return to “SCS Site”