How to properly read game.log?

bumbumek

How to properly read game.log?

#1 Post by bumbumek » 12 Jul 2020 08:28

Hi guys,

this one is drilling my mind since forever - is game.log showing errors and warnings for activated mods only, or is it showing issues with all mods gathered in my mods folder, no matter they are activated in mod manager or not? :roll:
Some newbie driver

Re: How to properly read game.log?

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Jul 2020 08:54

At the "beginning" of the game start, it checks some details (don't know which ones exactly) about all the mods present on your mods folder and that's logged into the game log. There could be errors.

Once you start your game profile, the game activates the mods configured for that profile and logs that process. There could be errors too.

Later while you are playing, some condition could be met that involves a faulty mod and causes an specific error that will be logged too.

You need to read the "context" of the game log to understand when the error was detected.

Regards
bumbumek

#3 Post by bumbumek » 12 Jul 2020 11:45

Thanks for your reply! Let me ask more specifically - I have few lines looking like this: <ERROR> [fs] Failed to open file '/automat/70/7081ccabc54d21a9.mat' in the read_only mode. Does this error concerns activated mod or not activated? :?
Some newbie driver

#4 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Jul 2020 12:05

Can't say at this moment without looking the whole log. As I said, it's the context what it said it to me. There's a lot of info on the log, it tells you when it does the initial check of mods (while there could the first errors happen). It tells you when the game loads a profile and it's activated mods (where again some errors can happen). And the log tells you where you had been playing and if some error were triggered in that moment but not on the load time.

The exact nature of the error I cannot tell you now and probably some other people with better understandings of the details of modding would be more useful for that.

As far as with just that line, not the whole game log, that you should share in order to have a proper help in that specific problem; I can just advise to be sure of the integrity of all your mods and game files. That there had been no corruption on their content or that some file would be missing.

Regards
tinusman

#5 Post by tinusman » 12 Jul 2020 12:23

AS `Some newbie driver` already stated:
First/top errors and warning`s are about all mods in the mod folder, checking manifest and so.
some down/later in the log, then the mods, activated and loaded in your selected profile.

That particular file:
/automat/70/7081ccabc54d21a9.mat' in the read_only mode
occers because a .pmd file in a mod, refers to that automat file, that was in the base of the game in an older version, and is nolonger in the base of the game in the version you now playing.

Found that file in 1.28 up to 1.36
it wasn`t in 1.37 anymore
bumbumek

#6 Post by bumbumek » 12 Jul 2020 12:45

Thanks guys! So dear @tinusman, where did you find that file? Which mod was it?
tinusman

#7 Post by tinusman » 12 Jul 2020 12:53

Sorry, cann`t tell you which mod,(it also will be hard to find in a mod .....
maybe `Windows Greb` can help you to find the file
I only found it in the extracted base.scs
This is the file content:

material : "eut2.sky.over.rfx" {
texture[0] : "/dlc/direction_blocker2_dlc.tobj"
texture_name[0] : "texture_base"
texture[1] : "/dlc/direction_blocker_dlc.tobj"
texture_name[1] : "texture_over"
texture[2] : "/system/special/invisible.tobj"
texture_name[2] : "texture_mask"
diffuse : { 1 , 1 , 1 }
}
bumbumek

#8 Post by bumbumek » 12 Jul 2020 13:06

I see, thanks for your reply!
SiSL
SCS Software

#9 Post by SiSL » 12 Jul 2020 13:14

Think of game files as a folder

When you add a mod, you overwrite or add to this folder files and other folders
When you add another mod, you overwrite or add to what's already added another mod and so on...

So when you have too many mods often these warnings and errors becomes blurry because it does not tell you which mod it is, naturally, as it acts like same folder because it turns into a bowl of soup...

That's why when something happens, people can not identify or misidentify which mod is broken... Because one mod may work standalone but break another mod, that another mod does not mean it is broken.
The Old Fart

#10 Post by The Old Fart » 12 Jul 2020 14:04

@bumbumek, post your game.log.txt file and I'll have a look and see if I can figure out which mod it is. I generally see these errors in mods where the modder converts / modifies something from ATS to ETS2, or vice versa, or when they incorporate accessories but do not pack all the relevant automat files into the mod. As SISL said, many mods = mod soup, which can be a nightmare to sort out. Still, a missing automat file is a missing file - we might be able to figure it out.
Old Fart Trucking - I haul ass, and everything else!

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”