[REWORK] Wyoming rework tips (originally pre-research)

Linow916

Re: Wyoming pre-research tips

#61 Post by Linow916 » 06 Feb 2020 00:31

Just noting that US 191 from Vernal to Rock Springs has weight restrictions. Vehicles exceeding 20,000 lbs on single axles and/or 34,000 lbs on tandem axles are prohibited from driving through Flaming Gorge Dam, they must instead take WY-530 through UT-44 and UT-43.

[ external image ]
Screenshot found in this video.

Sign location on Google Maps.
Official UDOT document, restriction number (33).
alclark

#62 Post by alclark » 06 Feb 2020 03:14

Someone mentioned gates for roads and highways temporarily closed for weather or emergencies, so I thought I'd contribute some research and locations. Bonus - if you spin the camera around you'll see that at all of the exits where the road could be closed there are truck stops.

I-80 E Exit 370
[ external image ]
Signs with the distance to the closure. This sign is located before the sign shown above:
[ external image ]
Gates open on highway immediately after the exit (note the "Violators Will be Prosecuted Jail or $750 Fine" sign):
[ external image ]
And gates closed:
[ external image ]
Gate at on-ramp open:
[ external image ]
And in process of being raised:
[ external image ]
I-80 W Exit 209 - 2-lane exit:
Road closed in 1 mile signs
I-80 closed exit signs
Highway gates

1-80 E Exit 221:
Road closed in 11 miles sign
Road closed in 1 mile signs
I-80 closed exit signs
Highway gates

I-80/I-25 + Diverging Diamond Interchange:
1-25 closed 4 miles ahead sign
Road closed in 1/4 mile signs
I-25 closed exit signs
Gates for the on-ramp of the DDI
Detail view of on-ramp gate

Return to Cheyenne sign:
I-80 closed return to Cheyenne
wyoeagle20

#63 Post by wyoeagle20 » 22 May 2020 16:54

I grew up in Fremont County and Sweetwater county, but I could name a few from mainly that area that are musts. I don't have the pictures right away, but I think these are musts.
Green River- So much of scenery in that little section, I don't know how to get it all.
West of the tunnels. The river borders some amazing bluffs.
The Tunnels. (I saw some pics there)

East of Green River- The kissing rocks. ( IF you could space these right and have them appear to move like they really do, it would be awesome)

Fourteen mile hill between rock springs and farson.

Farson- The Mercentile store, Post office and old cafe (Now I think it's an embroidery or something. Truck stop on the other corner.

South pass- Wind River mountains to the west. Bluffs to the east. Continental divide at 7400 feet. Drops to 6200 just outside of farson. Drops to 5600 outside of Lander about where the highway comes in. But from that highway oustide of lander to the top. Is a beautiful ascent. Red CanyonRed Canyon Red Canyon. Definately that. Then if you have the winding climb with Guard rail and up to just past the Louis Lake cutoff. This would suck to drive but still great for the game.

Speaking of the Louis Lake cutoff, Making that road connect to the Sinks Canyon\Popo Agie area complete with the logging road and swithbacks would also be interesting if possible.

Lander/Riverton- With the Wind River Mountains to the west and the owl creek mountains to the east and north. They make the climb from that basin toward Moosehaven and Jackson really cool.

Jackson- As you are coming into town. The tetons of course are a must, but not just the well know area. That whole range.

Boysen Reservoir crossing between riverton and shoshoni. Then Wind River canyon with the tunnels between shoshoni an thermopolis. ( The drive from shoshoni to Casper is bland by comparison)

The highway between Rawlins and Laramie has some nice climbs and should have the mountain near elk mountain.

Laramie- Make it have that wedge shape and have the rest area near Vedauwoo and then those bluffs at vedauwoo.
rbsanford

#64 Post by rbsanford » 22 May 2020 18:06

South Pass and the 28 would be perfect to connect Green River and the Wind River valley. It would also be historically significant, since South Pass was where the Oregon Trail crossed the Great Continental Divide.

Those monoclines at Red Canyon are incredible, by the way. That place had gone completely under my radar.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#65 Post by flight50 » 22 May 2020 20:24

@wyoeagle20. Green River is perhaps a scenic town but mannnn scenic it is. I love this view. This mountain over the tunnel has to make the game. That is a sweet landscape element to get in the game.
  • This 14 mile hill. Is this US-191? I am sure 191 makes the game but can you markup a photo or something where this hill part is. If it has some good elevations like it sounds like, the devs would need to know where to start this climb.
  • South Pass. Is this the stretch of US-287 between US-26 and I-80? Can you mark up or indicate this drop off. Sounds like a must have in deed. I hope US-287 continues from Colorado.
  • I am sure Jackson makes the game. Probably even mapped. US-191 continuing from Vernal is a must.
flight50

#66 Post by flight50 » 26 Jul 2020 15:42

Over Wyoming Eagle Butte Mine Yellowstone
alclark

#67 Post by alclark » 22 Aug 2020 02:14

Burgess Junction sign - US-14/US-14A
[ external image ]
Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7668071 ... 328!8i1664

[ external image ]
Bighorn Mountains, WY US14 and US14A by army.arch, on Flickr
Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8079734 ... 328!8i1664

Unfortunately street view is very blurry, but I found some very recent videos of US-14/14A (and other roads), and he even has drone footage.
flight50

#68 Post by flight50 » 23 Aug 2020 15:48

Nice videos of US-14. I am not sure if US-14 allows all trucks though. I don't have my trucker's atlas handy at the moment. It doesn't seem too bad. Based on the signs in one of the videos, it does have run away ramps and brake checks. I just don't know if its a STAA route or limited to some trucks. But the road looks nice and scenic.
plinio.lisboa.br

Devils Tower Trading Post. Devil Tower - Iconic scenery.

#69 Post by plinio.lisboa.br » 24 Nov 2020 21:08

Perhaps this photo may help to build the map of the Tower Devil (Bear Lodge) natural monument and also the historic trading post.
I can already imagine the American flag flying with this mountain in the background.

The nearly 1,600-meter-high Devils Tower sentinel rises above the Wyoming plains.

[ external image ]
Devils Tower Trading Post Road: Co Rd 17. Reference photo: https://www.wyofile.com/tribes-meet-wyo ... e-changes/

Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5882905 ... 312!8i6656
EllieODaire

#70 Post by EllieODaire » 26 Nov 2020 08:07

flight50 wrote: 23 Aug 2020 15:48 Nice videos of US-14. I am not sure if US-14 allows all trucks though. I don't have my trucker's atlas handy at the moment. It doesn't seem too bad. Based on the signs in one of the videos, it does have run away ramps and brake checks. I just don't know if its a STAA route or limited to some trucks. But the road looks nice and scenic.
US16, US14, and US14Alt are all truck routes (outside of Yellowstone at least), though 14Alt is extremely dangerous (grades up to 10%) and WYDot discourages inexperienced truck drivers from taking the route. 14Alt is not listed as an STAA route because it is closed during the winter. Trucks crossing the Bighorn Mountains are encouraged to use US16 when possible since it has the least grade of the three truck routes over those mountains.

WyoRoad US16 trucker's guide
WyoRoad US14 trucker's guide
WyoRoad US14A trucker's guide

Return to “American Truck Simulator”