Idaho Discussion Thread

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Idaho Discussion Thread

#4331 Post by supersobes » 29 Jul 2020 16:18

Indeed. White signs with black text state the law while yellow signs with black text state an advisory. The legal speed limit should only change with white signs, which are part of the regulatory sign category. While it's not illegal to exceed the suggested speed on an advisory, it is unsafe to do so, and you will be found at fault in the event of an accident.

There's also another great point brought up by @flight50. It is not necessary to drive at the posted speed limit at all times. Driving to the conditions is much more important. If you've a long and/or heavy load, if it's nighttime or raining, if there are sharp curves, etc., then driving the speed could cause you some trouble. The speed limit is meant for favourable conditions where the road is dry, visibility is good, and you have a vehicle of average capabilities. Another thing to note is that in states without a specific truck speed limit, that limit was made with cars in mind, not trucks. In some states, you can get a reckless driving charge for not driving to conditions, even if you're under the posted speed limit. I encountered a perfect example just last week. I was driving on a road with a 50 MPH speed limit when I got caught in some very heavy rain. Visibility was very limited, and there was a lot of water on the road because it was falling so fast. Traffic slowed down to 25 MPH because of these conditions; that's half the posted speed limit.
flight50

#4332 Post by flight50 » 29 Jul 2020 16:40

Yeah irl, in heavy heavy rains, I get over to the far right and put on my hazards. I hydroplaned and totaled my ride once back in 2009 and that was enough of a lesson for me. No way I am driving anywhere close to the speed limit in poor conditions. Heavy rain, ice, snow, sleet, hail, flooded roads....I hope to see these conditions come to SCS games someday but I will pass on natural disasters still. Eventually a better weather system should come now with dx11 in the mix. All across NA (I don't know how Europe works) but the weather conditions can be nasty and drastic changes from region to region. Even without seasons now, weather can change the way we play. Hopefully such an update is on the horizon in the next 2-3 years.
ads678

#4333 Post by ads678 » 29 Jul 2020 20:34

I haven't played ATS for a while because I was on the Road to the Black Sea (in real life, not in ETS2 lol). Finally I had a chance to drive in Idaho and explore all the roads. Everything looks great, I love this DLC. Scenery is beautiful, cities (especially Boise) look realistic. The only complaint (again) is that terrible dead end in Salmon. There should be CH-17/ID-21 or US-12/US-93. We can't wait 2 years (at best) until Montana DLC comes out.
flight50

#4334 Post by flight50 » 29 Jul 2020 22:17

@ads678 welcome to the club my friend, lol. If US-12 to US-93 was in from day one or comes for the next update, that solves a lot and doesn't make it so critical to get Montana. Many people are already screaming for Montana before Wyoming and that would be uglier. The anticipation is to get Wyoming next. That's next Summer and if we so happen to get Montana after Wyoming, then that is 1.5 years from now. If next update is 1.39 for the Winter map, that shaves off a 1 year wait but will those roads come before the year is out or before Wyoming at least.

If SCS goes with Wyoming and Texas for 2021, that makes Montana/Oklahoma perhaps on the menu for 2022 and yeah we are looking at 2 years. Whether 1 year or 2 years, adding US-12 to US-93 at the least eases a lot. Everyone says the road to Salmon is beautiful. Easy to say the first 3-5 times. But try doing that route for 2 years until Montana comes and its a different story. I still haven't seen Salmon yet. It and Ketchum are my last two cities to discover. That is on the menu for this upcoming weekend. Each week since release, I discover about 1/3 of the cities. I wanted to take my time.

When ever US-12 does connect to US-93, I seriously hope we get 1-2 more forest roads off US-12. There is just way to much space to not do it in the US's most dense forest that doesn't conflict with another city anywhere for miles. So in a nutshell, will SCS go ahead and help us gamers out and we get a bail out from Salmon or are we forced to wait until Montana. If we wait, when does Montana come is the question. Is it 2021 or is it 2022. Added routes in the next update is much much easier to cope with waiting wise than 1.5-2.5 years from now.
SmokeyWolf

#4335 Post by SmokeyWolf » 29 Jul 2020 22:38

That grade coming into Lewiston trucks must do 35 max going down it. According to the sign anyway.
ads678

#4336 Post by ads678 » 29 Jul 2020 23:38

@flight50 I think it's clear now that Wyoming and Texas are the states for 2021 (Pavel kinda confirmed that on stream). So the best chance to see Montana is summer 2022. I hope SCS will add roads to Idaho in the next updates, like they did with Oregon (still waiting for OR-38 though..)
flight50

#4337 Post by flight50 » 30 Jul 2020 01:26

I honestly still don't see Texas as being clear. He said a small state, then said a larger state. But he also said a state that scares him. We all know the small state is Wyoming. We all know the scary state as Texas. But is large and scare describing the same state? We also have to take in the fact that English is not his native tongue and at times, he doesn't speak what he means in English. His words have to be taken with grain of salt. This time next year, it will be clearer for me.

For me, it hard to see Texas for 2021 unless at least 2 map teams is working it or the majority of the team. Now what we don't know is how many people SCS may have hired since last January. We know a 3rd map team was under way but did more come? Pavel mentioned he wanted 25 people on Texas. They'd need about 35 total mappers for ATS at that point. On the Idaho stream, Pavel reiterated they need more people to crank out more. Was that a hint they now have more or do they really need more. Wyoming needs 8-10 itself. We also don't know how much preliminary work was done for Texas.

I'd like more help for Idaho before Texas. Whether that is Montana as a dlc or connecting US-12 to US-93. Last year I was onboard with Wyoming and Texas up until the Xmas stream. Currently I am Montana Texas. I just think they need to be as thorough as possible with Texas and not rush it. Lots can get trimmed out if the don't have time. Nov/Dec 2021 is the earliest I still see for Texas.
Shiva

#4338 Post by Shiva » 30 Jul 2020 01:40

CH-17/ID-21? Atleast ID-21 would be nice, IF it can be fit in. I hope it can.
US-12/US-93? A bit too deep into Montana. SCS would sort of have to plan AND build parts of Montana.
And that, I think, can be the reason that there are no ID-28 ingame yet. I still have hope for that road to come in the future.

Additions for Idaho I would rather see, than connections thru Montana, are:
WA-20/US-2
ID-21 if place and CH-17 IF additional space. But only place for CH-17 / ID-55 connection, would be at this place, ingame.
Why that way? Because the following are VERY close ingame. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.9364 ... m2!4m1!3e0
Anyone remember the forest road ideas I have posted here?
Those close to the Montana border, where 1 route even went a bit into Montana for a tiny bit?
Why ain't those ingame? Well, possibly due to too many map sectors into Montana.
+ that players might have tried to take trailer combos not fitting and then getting angry at SCS.
+ that those would have been quite long forest road sections.

Texas? Nov/Dec 2021 earliest what I see too. I still bet for dec 2021 to january 2022.

flight50 wrote: 27 Jul 2020 21:58 If SCS added restricted hrs for owned trailers, I'd actually go back to them. I hope someday, we get specific delivery times. We definitely shouldn't be able to delivery 24/7.
Even dropping off non owned or fleet owned trailers have time limits when places are open or closed.
Closed = Get back when place opens.
jarryed wrote: 29 Jul 2020 13:58 On steep grades, especially with a residential area at the bottom of the grade a lot of trucks will be required to stop at the top of the grade. They would proceed and be speed restricted to the bottom. These are not recommended speeds.

This does not seem to be implemented into the game yet.

Here is what i'm referring in a visual reference: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0696175 ... 312!8i6656
Speed for trucks going down the grade is 25mph.
Heh, that's the first time ever, I see something like that. 1 more thing learned today :)
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
SmokeyWolf

#4339 Post by SmokeyWolf » 30 Jul 2020 05:37

@flight50 has anybody dev cam into Texas from New Mexico lately?

I see 2022 for Texas.
Skoot

#4340 Post by Skoot » 30 Jul 2020 10:13

I drove to Salmon two times for now and liked the road, so I'm currently okay with no other connection. US-2 from Spokane to Sandpoint and WA-20 sound like fun though.

Return to “General discussion about the game”