Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Some newbie driver

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#31 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Sep 2020 20:39

Well, we finally have here the first new stuff on this year, the NVidia next gen cards. Your waiting will worth @Reignman; either you save a few more money to be able to purchase a brand new nice card for the future or the prices of the previous ones will plummet as far as the new ones provide 50% of what they promise ad the announced prices.
plykkegaard

#32 Post by plykkegaard » 02 Sep 2020 20:56

The new 3080 card adds 70 to 90% extra on AA titles running 4K with all the the bells and whistles turned on, this is confirmed by reviewers, compared tova 2080
I don't know what it does for games on the Prime3D platform
If anything you get less heat from the card

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#33 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Sep 2020 21:15

There are NO reviews of the cards. Or at least nor proper reviews as per se. I just found a rushed video with just talk and no much real data and proper comparisons to be judged.

There had been a single no-live presentation with just a few graphs. And, of course, that's a biased information cherry picked by NVidia.

In a few days we could see real objective reviews. It's clearly expected that performance will increase (why to release a new gen if not?); but the main point here is that NVidia has preemptive strike at AMD and lowered A LOT their cards' cost. Look if not what happened in previous gen, that some people preferred to stay at 1080Ti and that NVidia had to launch capped 16 series to mitigate that bleeding of customers in the mid-to-low segment. So, even if the reviews demonstrate those NVidia numbers to be bloated (and I'm sure they are), the proposal is still very good and will dump forever the 20 series into the grave of history.

Now we will see what happen with AMD. If their jump into performance is very good they could stand a chance. But if it's not good enough, with the battle in the price that NVidia has faced them, they are going to be in trouble.

At the end we as customers are the winners of this. We had been suffering bloated prices by lack of competition for years. NVidia knows competition is coming and before to loose more ground he has enormously cut the prices regarding previous 2-years old gen (for a given performance level).

For those who doesn't mind to use second-hand stuff is going to be glorious. Market is going to be flooded with 20 series on sales.

EDITED: Because I later found 1 video of 1 person that had tested the card but to say it's a review is too much...
plykkegaard

#34 Post by plykkegaard » 03 Sep 2020 06:38

Sorry I ment a preview rather than a full review

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#35 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 Sep 2020 13:08

Yes, that's the same one I finally found. First I looked at the most usual places I check for news and found absolutely nothing apart from articles about the presentation. For what it seems, that person was allowed to go where Nvidia prepared a setup and several games to test, all of them in 4K.... I'm sure the cards have a very good performance but it's a very shady way of doing things.

I don't understand those companies that still behave like if we are in the past century, when they can easily control all the "official news sources" and the story told to the customers. We are in 2020, in a few days there will be tens of well reputed reviewers will have clear, complete and very objective reviews that people will pay attention. The only NVidia can achieve behaving that way is to be deemed liars if the difference on objective reviews is significant (even if the overall performance is impressive).

Regards
Tails

#36 Post by Tails » 03 Sep 2020 21:19

Nvidia new graphics cards are looking pretty cool I cant wait to see how well it will be. :)
like to explore new areas of maps for both ATS and ETS2.

WOT profile https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4885036
Reignman

#37 Post by Reignman » 08 Sep 2020 15:07

I've been watching the regular R5 3600. The little performance gain you get from the X ($210) and the XT ($240) don't make the cost worth it. I'm going to watch the X though, if that drops below $200 I might have to consider it, but it's only been below $200 once in the past year ($195 in April). But having said that, the 3600 has shot up to $210 in a lot of places lol. What's going on? I'm starting to lose my mind.

If I have to spend that much for an R5 I might as well consider an R7, so I started researching those a little. The best deal is the R7 3700x for $290. Performance wise it's not a whole lot better than the R5 3600, but it comes with 8 cores/16 threads instead of 6/12. Not that anything really requires that many, but it makes multi-tasking a little easier I guess. Still probably not worth an extra $80, so I guess I keep waiting for the 3600 to come back down. I can get an R7 2700x for $220, but all that really has over the R5 3600 is the 8 cores. The R5 is newer and beats it in every category.

Still waiting for a good deal on the GPU, motherboard, and RAM. Despite the Nvidia 30 series being announced, GPU prices haven't dropped yet. And rumors about lower RAM prices haven't materialized yet either. Prices haven't budged. We just had Labor day here in the US and there were no sales for that.

I did order the case (Cougar MX331-mesh) already and saved $20 on that. Ordered the PSU (EVGA BQ 600W semi-modular) and saved another $20 there too.

Found an amazing deal on an x570 mother board ($129) ...

https://www.newegg.com/msi-x570-a-pro/p ... HNWBEJ1239

Which could save me $40 in the MB department, but the VRAM is awful, and it's being sold by a less than reputable source (Tau) who has a lot of negative reviews. It's $159 at Newegg otherwise. Other than the VRAM it has all the features I want, including a much better chipset fan/location than the other MB I've been looking at, the ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-tuf-gaming- ... 6813119198

Yeah, not excited about that chipset fan location lol, so what was ASUS thinking? A 2 slot GPU is going to cover that completely, so not sure how hot that's going to get. It's the best x570 I can find for around $160 though. I'm getting a pretty big case which will have 5 120mm PMW fans. Since I'm not doing any OC I think I should be fine thermally speaking, so maybe the chipset fan won't matter. There are several MSI MB's in the same $160 price range, but they've gotten bad reviews and I'm not a big fan of all the red MSI likes to use lol.

Other than that, still waiting for RAM prices to drop. I still want 32GB of 3600, which is $138 atm. If that doesn't drop by the time I finally order everything else, then I'll just get the 16GB kit for $75 and hope I never need more than 32 lol.

Same with the RTX 2060. If that doesn't drop to at least $300, then I'll probably get the 1660 super for $230. The RTX 2060 was as low as $285 a few months ago, so there's still hope xD. It currently sits between $320 and $330, and sometimes drops to $310. So we'll see.
Reignman

#38 Post by Reignman » 08 Sep 2020 15:35

Tails wrote: 28 Aug 2020 15:16 Here is the list of hardware I got for my PC build.

Case: Cooler Master H500 ARGB

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB , 3200 MHZ

Storage: Asgard AN series NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 ,850 Watts
I was just looking at a similar case from Cooler Master without all the RGB. It was all black but looked the same, and now I can't remember why I decided against it. And not sure what you paid for any of those other parts, but I see the Asard SSD for around $160. Amazon has the 1TB NVMe (Silicon Power) for about $95. That's the one I'm looking at. And that's a nice PSU, but it was probably overkill on the watts lol. Unless you plan to get one of those new Nvidia 30 series cards soon, or plan to run 2 GPU. Otherwise 600 watts is more than enough to handle any CPU/GPU combo currently on the market. What CPU/GPU did you get anyway?
Some newbie driver wrote: 02 Sep 2020 20:39Your waiting will worth @Reignman; either you save a few more money to be able to purchase a brand new nice card for the future or the prices of the previous ones will plummet
I hope you're right, but prices haven't moved yet. If I remember correctly, the 30 series won't actually hit the market until October, so ohhh boy that means I might have to wait another month lol. Which isn't necessarily good since I already have some parts on the way and most return policies are only 30 days. By the time I get a GPU my return policies will have expired on everything else xD. I couldn't pass up the good deals though.
Tails

#39 Post by Tails » 08 Sep 2020 16:06

@Reignman So far for the GPU I am looking at buying a NVIDIA 3070 but the AMD CPU I am waiting to see what I might get once the new CPU come out this year.
like to explore new areas of maps for both ATS and ETS2.

WOT profile https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4885036
Reignman

#40 Post by Reignman » 08 Sep 2020 16:45

Ahhh ok, you're playing a much longer waiting game than I am then haha. And the 850 watt PSU makes a little more sense now too. I'm shooting for one of those mid tier budget builds, but I'm trying to also leave the door open for upgrades down the road when things become more affordable. I was originally thinking RTX 2080 in 5 years, before the 30 series was announced, so now I'll be looking at that 3070 instead. With a R9 3900x or something, but like you said, depending on what gen 4 stuff AMD releases later this year, and what everything will cost in 5 years.

Are you shooting for 4k gaming or something? What kind of monitor do you intend to get? 1080p is still by far the most popular format, 65% of their users according to Steam (only 2% are at 4k), so I'll probably ride that out for a few years, and then jump up to 1440p at some point. 4k is just too expensive atm, and I expect it to remain that way for another 5 years or more. So the goal is to stay mid-tier and save money xD. I've been stuck on 720p the past 12 years, so I'm sure even 1080p will blow my mind lol.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”