Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

GT182

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#61 Post by GT182 » 10 Sep 2020 21:16

Reignman, like you I only build my own computers. This is the 3th one in 10 years and it's been the worst of all. Just an hour ago I finally got back into my email account after trying for 3 days to get access to it. All because of Windows 10 and the way I had to sign in to it. I'm now a pin number instead of a person. :roll: :(

BTW.. Windows 10 IMHO sucks. All new motherboards sold now only support Windows 10. Believe me, if I could get 8.1 to work on this Msi MAG B550 Tomahawk motherboard I'd do it faster than rain falls from the sky.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Some newbie driver

#62 Post by Some newbie driver » 10 Sep 2020 21:18

Reignman wrote: 10 Sep 2020 20:35I think that's why they offer the low prices. Get you in the store so you buy everything else from them.
And because shipments have a cost, and shipments of delicate computer parts have a higher cost; despite that stupid and dangerous trend that created Amazon with the "free shipment" that has overly devaluated that service, causing it to be done by low-level, low-motivated and barely-payed staff. If Microcenter would charge you the price of the shipment, lots of potential customers wouldn't even consider them to purchase on. And even those who would do it could end regretting it if they packages were treated like a sack of potatoes. So, they prefer not to ship anything and they do right (if they can keep a good network of stores).
Reignman wrote: 10 Sep 2020 20:35They're also selling the 3600XT at the same price as the regular 3600. That makes the X look like a great deal, but I'm still not going to pay $215 for it. I would get the R7 3700X for $290 before I did that. I still refuse to pay more than $180 for the R5 3600.
If the 3600XT is being sold at the same price that the regular 3600 has achieved; as I said you, don't think it twice, take the XT. It could be overprice for the 3600 but not for the 3600XT and this one will be better than any other "only X" ones, no matter the core count. The only one better than the 3600XT is the 3800XT and this one is obviously out of your budget.

Regards

PS: BTW, just remember that XT ones are shipped WITHOUT any cooler (that's why their price could be a bit misleading too if compared with the same basic or X versions)
Some newbie driver

#63 Post by Some newbie driver » 10 Sep 2020 21:22

GT182 wrote: 10 Sep 2020 21:16All because of Windows 10 and the way I had to sign in to it. I'm now a pin number instead of a person.
Nobody forces you to make a crap M$ account to use your Windows 10. Obviously they put the focus on it but you could chose other options in the menu to force a regular local account. Check well all the options in the wizard windows and if you wanna be sure, unplug network during the process.

Don't forget to describe with all the details how you raise your middle finger when they ask you why you cancel and shutdown that M$ account just created. ;)

And BTW, Win8 or Win8.1 were far worse than Win10. They are the same crap at the end but at least Win10 has got enough time to polish the worse parts. Obviously it's full of telemetry bull**** but Win8.1 had several too and no way of properly control. And if you don't trust those controls, there's ways to have a "clean" sleek Win10 without all that bloat.

Regards
Last edited by Some newbie driver on 10 Sep 2020 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reignman

#64 Post by Reignman » 10 Sep 2020 21:23

Yeah I have no idea what's going on here lol. I just saw this price update on Amazon and my eyes almost fell out of my head. $175!!!! I'll take it!!! Been a long time since I've seen it that low. It's even lower than Micro Center ($179.99).

[ external image ]

But then I click the buy link and it takes me to the Walmart page where I see a very different price.

[ external image ]

So I go back and select the "buy from Amazon" option instead

[ external image ]

And it's still not the advertised price xD.

[ external image ]

Just a bit frustrating. I've only been waiting for this price for about 2 months. I'm about to go drop $290 on the R7 3700X in protest and call it a day lol. It comes with a free game Assassin's Creed Valhalla ($60).
Reignman

#65 Post by Reignman » 10 Sep 2020 22:56

GT182 wrote: 10 Sep 2020 21:16Reignman, like you I only build my own computers. This is the 3th one in 10 years and it's been the worst of all. Just an hour ago I finally got back into my email account after trying for 3 days to get access to it. All because of Windows 10 and the way I had to sign in to it. I'm now a pin number instead of a person. :roll: :(

BTW.. Windows 10 IMHO sucks. All new motherboards sold now only support Windows 10. Believe me, if I could get 8.1 to work on this Msi MAG B550 Tomahawk motherboard I'd do it faster than rain falls from the sky.
Uff, yeah that sucks. @Some newbie driver already pointed it out, but yeah you should unplug your internet when you install Windows 10. There's some good tips in this video here on what to do after building a new PC.
I personally don't know about Windows 10 because I haven't used it yet lol. I'm still on Windows 7 with my old PC. But if Outlook is any indication, I'm familiar with getting locked out of MS accounts lol. They keep locking me out of my hotmail account. They keep wanting me to use my phone number as the security option, but screw that noise.
Some newbie driver wrote: 10 Sep 2020 21:18If the 3600XT is being sold at the same price that the regular 3600 has achieved; as I said you, don't think it twice, take the XT.

PS: BTW, just remember that XT ones are shipped WITHOUT any cooler (that's why their price could be a bit misleading too if compared with the same basic or X versions)
The XT is $10 off atm so $239.99. Which is still $50-60 over my budget, but now it's tempting because I'm getting tired of waiting. If I get it though, then I have to get the 1660 Super instead of the 2060, or I have to settle for only 16GB of RAM, which would probably be the wiser option.

I don't know though, I looked at comparisons between the XT and regular 3600 and I didn't see anything that justified paying $50 more for it. Oh and btw, this XT comes with the Wraith Spire Cooler, slightly bigger heat sink than the Stealth cooler. If I have to buy my own cooler, then it won't be worth it xD. At 3.8GHz it requires 30 more watts than the regular 3600. The case I got is roomy with good air flow, plus it'll have 5 120mm PWM fans.

Yeah just looked at a Gamers Nexus review and the title of the video alone isn't very encouraging lol.

"AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT CPU Review & Benchmarks: $100 for 2 Letters"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7x6OvVU90A
Some newbie driver

#66 Post by Some newbie driver » 11 Sep 2020 08:28

First thing first, my fault in one thing: I remember wrongly that 3600XT was rated at 4.7 single core boost speed and that's why I said is way better. The same than with the cooler. My brain mixed the 3800XT and 3900XT with the 3600XT.

Said that, Gamer's Nexus reviews are very objective and "dense" (in the amount of data they throw at us) but I have to strongly disagree with their conclusions and the video title. Yes, it's not a great difference for the extra money when you compare the 3600 and the 3600XT in all those benchmarks he has done. But there's one detail you miss on that video: not a single benchmark he did is single core. And it's weird because I expected GN to be exhaustive as usual and check that out too.

So, when using multiple cores, unless you overclock it, at stock values the difference between normal and XT chips is very low and doesn't worth the extra money as that review says. But you want to play SCS games with that and those games up to date are mostly mono-core (90% or more of its workload) and there is where the single core turbo-clock speed makes a difference between the 3600 and the 3600XT. The announced difference is of 300MHz, notable, but even on the GN review it ends being way higher of 500MHz (and GN explains how they check 4 different mobos to be sure it's not one BIOS on one of them pushing too hard). So, it's behaving as the 4.7 rated for higher XT models and the review end concluding that (and the O.C performance) demonstrates that AMD is selecting the best silicon for those ones (as expected). if he had done any single-core comparison the difference with the 3600 would had been notable even at stock values.

So, at the end, the XT models are the only one which could allow you to narrow the gap in mono-core performance with Intel systems. And specially SCS games are very sensible to those changes due their old internal architecture. So, in general terms the GN review could be mostly accurate, but for single-core loads and specifically for the purpose of playing SCS games doesn't tell you the whole story. If it's price enters at some moment in your radar, don't think twice. Even the value is better than I recall because I was wrong with the lack of cooler. As I said you,. I purchase a 3700X at its moment and if I would had to chose now and couldn't wait the next gen, I would only consider one of the XT models. Of course, as days have been passed here talking and you looking for deals and so on and on... every day more is harder to decide if to purchase or to wait a bit more. As I told you at the beginning of the thread: bad moment to have to purchase a PC. :lol:

Regards

PS: Consider too another detail about the GN review: he's considering a launch price for the 3600XT a bit higher than the one you find now and at that moment the 3600 were cheaper. So the price difference you are finding now is way narrower so the "100$ for two letters" is a nice title in clickbait purpose but not accurate anymore. ;)
plykkegaard

#67 Post by plykkegaard » 11 Sep 2020 13:58

Hmm ok, a little inspired by this thread and the fact that my current build is not really up to the task, I assume the i5 CPU is the culprit as an GTX 970 should be able to handle the game at a decent level - imo the HD7970 gave a better image the first 10-15 before atifacts and CTD made the game unplayable

I have looked through my savings and found an i7 5960, an Asus Rampage V with X99 chippset, and a CPU water cooler
If I can find adequate memory modules I will dare a rebuild and move GPU and discs to the new PC
Oh yes I also need to check the PSUs I have if they can deliver the needed wattage (2 SSDs and 2 hybrid HDs)

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
GT182

#68 Post by GT182 » 12 Sep 2020 16:10

Reignman, I watched the video. I wished I'd seen it before the install. Oh well..... it could be worse. I found out that 8.1 will be supported until January 2023.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about another power outage. We have a new 14kw Generac generator coming soon. Homeowner's insurance is replacing it too.

As for the AMD Ryzen 5 3600, I bought mine here in Delaware at BB for 169.99 on sale. No sales tax in Delaware. :D
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Reignman

#69 Post by Reignman » 12 Sep 2020 16:29

Some newbie driver wrote: 11 Sep 2020 08:28Said that, Gamer's Nexus reviews are very objective and "dense" (in the amount of data they throw at us) but I have to strongly disagree with their conclusions and the video title. Yes, it's not a great difference for the extra money when you compare the 3600 and the 3600XT in all those benchmarks he has done. But there's one detail you miss on that video: not a single benchmark he did is single core. And it's weird because I expected GN to be exhaustive as usual and check that out too.
Haha yeah, GN usually overkills on the info. You make a good point about the single core performance.
Some newbie driver wrote: 11 Sep 2020 08:28If it's price enters at some moment in your radar, don't think twice. Even the value is better than I recall because I was wrong with the lack of cooler. As I said you,. I purchase a 3700X at its moment and if I would had to chose now and couldn't wait the next gen, I would only consider one of the XT models. Of course, as days have been passed here talking and you looking for deals and so on and on... every day more is harder to decide if to purchase or to wait a bit more. As I told you at the beginning of the thread: bad moment to have to purchase a PC. :lol:
The price is the deciding factor. If I had no choice and had to buy a CPU right now, I'd definitely get the X or XT for a few extra bucks because the regular 3600 is insanely overpriced atm. Having said that though, I'm in no hurry to get the CPU, so I think I'll wait a little longer for the price to come down. I'm standing firm on $180 for a regular 3600. Which is a better deal than $215 for the X or $240 for the XT. That's the difference between me getting the RTX 2060 over the 1660 Super or 32GB of RAM instead of 16, whichever I decide. Black Friday holiday deals are 2½ months away so I still don't think I can wait that long. It all depends on when that 3600 price starts coming back down. It's still selling out everywhere, even at $220 now lol. $40 more than I'm willing to spend. Again, that's the difference between a better GPU or more RAM.
plykkegaard wrote: 11 Sep 2020 13:58Hmm ok, a little inspired by this thread
That's the spirit haha.
plykkegaard wrote: 11 Sep 2020 13:58I have looked through my savings and found an i7 5960, an Asus Rampage V with X99 chippset, and a CPU water cooler
I don't know much about current Intel CPU's as I've spent most of my research on AMD Ryzen. Have you considered switching? From everything I heard, Ryzen is way better than Intel atm. I see the i7 you mentioned going for close to $500 and a Ryzen 9 3900x is slightly cheaper and blows it away in every category.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 2580vs4044

In fact the R5 3600 that I've been looking at is less than half the price of the i7 and it's slightly better too, except it has fewer cores 8 to 6. The compatibility of Ryzen chips makes it easier to upgrade in the future too without having to get a new motherboard. Intel is always changing their socket.

Having said that, because of the skyrocketing price of the R5 3600, I think I'll have to spend a little more time researching Intel CPU's myself lol.
GT182 wrote: 12 Sep 2020 16:10Reignman, I watched the video. I wished I'd seen it before the install.
I know the feeling, but I'm trying to avoid it, which is why I've spent about 2 months now just on the research phase. Exhausting every angle possible to make sure I don't screw anything up, which I'll probably do anyway lol. To be fair, half that time is related to waiting for prices to come down.
GT182 wrote: 12 Sep 2020 16:10As for the AMD Ryzen 5 3600, I bought mine here in Delaware at BB for 169.99 on sale. No sales tax in Delaware. :D
WTF! How is that possible lol? How long ago did you buy it? Because back in July I saw them for around $170 too. Micro Center had them for $155. And BB, is that Best Buy? Will that store ship to Minnesota lol? Let me know what they're charging for an RTX 2060 (not the super).

Speaking of Micro Center, you know things are messed up when they're even selling the 3600 for $199. I can't catch a break. Or maybe it's the PC gods trying to tell me to wait like @Some newbie driver has been telling me this whole time xD.
GT182

#70 Post by GT182 » 12 Sep 2020 19:16

Reignman, I bought my Ryzen 5 back in August... 2nd week. It might have been cheaper to buy it in PA at the Micro Center but seeing I already bought it I didn't even look at their prices.

I know that I'd I'd never use an Intel CPU again. As always they're more more for less of a bang. IMO AMD gives more of a bang... and for less money. That AMD Black 3.9 CPU I was using was the 1st AMD CPU I'd ever bought. And from what I saw it clearly out shined any Intel CPU I'd used before.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”