Colorado Discussion Thread

ThatWeirdTrucker

Re: Colorado Discussion Thread

#1451 Post by ThatWeirdTrucker » 16 Sep 2020 19:40

This time, when the embargo lifts, I will avoid this forum since they'll be map posting and stuff and I will certainly NOT watch the videos.
JohnMc19

#1452 Post by JohnMc19 » 16 Sep 2020 19:55

@ThatWeirdTrucker i ultimately failed with this on Idaho once I found out Pavel was on stream had to watch it. With Colorado will do my best again, also will look out for the road network map with marked cities etc to see what we get.
Xaagon

#1453 Post by Xaagon » 16 Sep 2020 20:00

supersobes
Global moderator

#1454 Post by supersobes » 16 Sep 2020 20:22

Has anyone identified this location yet? The exit sign is too far away for me to make out what number it is. I'm a bit curious about the sound wall that goes along the railroad tracks. Why is it leaning like that and propped up on wood posts? Is it like that in real-life?
Xaagon

#1455 Post by Xaagon » 16 Sep 2020 20:26

I-25 northbound, exit 97A
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2384851 ... 384!8i8192

I don't think that's a sound wall. It looks like something internal to the steel mill. Not sure what it is.
Some newbie driver

#1456 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Sep 2020 20:35

Not a sound wall at all, nobody protects from the noise of trains a steel mill where there's way higher noise.

Considering the supporting columns, it should be some kind of security barrier to avoid anything from the steel mill to end in the rails (or beyond, into the road) potentially causing an accident. Satellite images suggest that whatever was behind most of that wall was demolished. There0s even a section of the wall that seems collapsed. If you search on old news, you probably end finding that something dangerous has already happened in there. Nobody builds such walls unless forced to avoid something to happen AGAIN.

Regards
supersobes
Global moderator

#1457 Post by supersobes » 16 Sep 2020 20:51

Hmm... Yeah, looking at it in Google Maps, it's definitely not a sound wall. It looks like a sound wall in the in-game screenshots though. Perhaps SCS just reused an asset that was originally made to be a sound wall for that. The interesting thing about the wall is that it seems to be in the process of being removed. This particular section of the wall is there in October 2016, but it's gone in November 2019.
dantastic

#1458 Post by dantastic » 16 Sep 2020 22:16

ALT2870 wrote: 16 Sep 2020 19:23 I knew I forgot to explain one. That is in Steamboat Springs like the blog says, specifically on Mt. Werner Circle.
Since you also posted the google maps location of that area, I do recognize that now! I think we took that road quite often because we stayed in one of the condo units right on the ski resort. Like we walked to the gondola which took us up the mountain to the wedding location.
flight50

#1459 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2020 22:45

ALT2870 wrote: 16 Sep 2020 19:23 It was another instant recognize for me. This confirms Steamboat (like most of us thought) will be marked as that is off US 40 and you can see the Walbert back there as well. I'm curious if it's going to be a scenic style road or there will be a delivery point (construction or otherwise) in base village. I assume the first as it is just a loop in real life but I'm sure Flight50 would be please to see something unique in base village as would I.
I totally hope Steamboat is mapped. Honestly speaking, Steamboat is a little too big to not be mapped . I expect Craig and Steamboat to be mapped along US-40 based on their locations. Dinosaur I'm not to convinced its mapped. Craig and SB has a Walmart so they good. You build it, they will come, lol. There is 9 miles worth of mapping for Steamboat. There are some good depots I'd drop along US-40 for SB. The quarry coming into SB, Steamboat Motors (Car dealership), Safeway, Walmart, Walgreens, Alpine Lumber, City Market as well as getting Eddy's and Tidbit type stuff too. That is plenty to deliver to imo. Add in all the residential housing along that stretch and we have a very nice town in Steamboat. 9 real miles could easily be 2 miles in ATS. 1 mile doesn't give it justice. Cut roads elsewhere but giving us at least 2-3 miles in Steamboat makes it a small city vs a mid sized town.

Craig is 42 miles from Steamboat. That is plenty of distance to have both mapped. There is CO-13 to factor in so if Craig needs to shift West to gain space, that should be cool. There is just as much space to slide Steamboat East if need be but I doubt it needs to shift. With Berthound in the mix, I hope they don't cut corners with it. East of Steamboat there is a lottttt of curvy road ahead and this is where the fun starts. The mappers should have more than enough space to make this route scenic and get it to I-70 without cutting to many corners.

US-40 is going to be a nice ride on the way to I-70. View 1, View 2, View 3, View 4 and View 5. Berthound will probably be one on the best and most fun challenging roads in Colorado. I wonder how many of the below pic switchbacks can the devs manage to get in the game. Obviously they all can't fit but I'd love to see at least half of them. The red highlights might be possible with the yellow highlights in place. Worst case, remove the second from the bottom and take the very middle switch back to the bottom of the pass and then on to I-70. There's really just too many good roads to see in Colorado. Everyone still loves Washington. Well the map led that did Washington is now on Colorado. Imagine what they can do with Colorado with more experience and now the new rock tools. Washington who, lol. I project Colorado taking the top spot for best dlc todate. Texas would only beat it out because of its size and what all is packed into it. Montana will be cool too but I think Colorado with be another bar raiser and stay there for awhile.

[ external image ]
Xaagon

#1460 Post by Xaagon » 17 Sep 2020 04:52

The two photos that disappeared from the blog are posted in the Steam news feed:

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steamco ... 01c4ab.jpg
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steamco ... 49baaf.jpg

Return to “General discussion about the game”