Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Reignman

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#151 Post by Reignman » 16 Oct 2020 22:24

Some newbie driver wrote: 16 Oct 2020 10:54they inflate the prices on the previous days so at the end the deal isn't so much a deal (sometimes one even will pay more).
I don't know about Spain or Europe, but the worst offender of this practice over here in the US is the fuel industry, but not so they can have a future sale, but just to openly price gouge the consumer lol. Just before every weekend, like on Thursday or something, gasoline prices will go up through the weekend because that's when most people travel. It's usually a lot worse just before a weekend holiday. If you plan to leave town on the weekend, fill up on Wednesday xD.
Reignman

#152 Post by Reignman » 16 Oct 2020 23:16

Reignman wrote: 15 Oct 2020 21:40Same with the 2060 I was watching, it had been $339 for months then suddenly down to $309, where it still is. The RAM price on the G.Skill I had been watching was a little shady. It was $139 forever, then went up to $149 for a few weeks, but then was suddenly $129 on Wednesday. It's still $129 and there's no mention of it being a sale price however, so I'm thinking maybe that'll be the new price for awhile. Newegg usually tells you what is a sale item and how many days remain, but it hasn't done that with the RAM or GPU price, only the motherboard. Which I take as an encouraging sign, if those are the new price points. RAM was supposed to drop by 10-15% in Q3, so maybe that finally happened.
Ok I was wrong xD. The GPU sold out quickly and it's back up to $339. The RAM is also back up $15, so even though it never said those were just a sale price, it didn't last long. So much for an encouraging sign.

I see 2080ti's are still selling for over $1800 too, so not sure who is buying those lol. You gotta be pretty desperate for a GPU and rich to be doing something like that.
Some newbie driver

#153 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Oct 2020 23:23

Yes, that's usual here too with gas stations. But at least they don't say their fuel is "on sale" when really it's not.

And about the prices of the graphic cards; yes, there's plenty of very desperate people out there and the lack of stock of NVidia new gen cards doesn't help prices to move rationally.

Some people say that it was all a move done on purpose by NVIdia to be able to release the new cards at a lower price (mention that will remain in the reviews forever as a "good value due performance/price" but at the end they are going to be sold more expensively as the time passes and the shortage will make people more willingly to pay more. For the moment, NVidia isn't going to sell directly anymore the new RTX3000 series founder's editions (something that after all they aren't interested because those cards are too expensive to manufacture and give them poor benefit %)

We will see on the 28th if AMD is able to shake a bit the market and things become more interesting.

Regards
plykkegaard

#154 Post by plykkegaard » 29 Oct 2020 08:20

Stories about the new AMD cards has emerged
Should match NVidias card but at a slightly lower cost and less wattage usage (and less heat emission)
Interesting :D

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/ ... m-579-999/

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#155 Post by Some newbie driver » 29 Oct 2020 08:51

We will have to wait for third party reviews as usual to be sure of the real numbers, but we have enough details to consider lots of things.

First is that I really didn't expected AMD to close so much the gap with NVidia. I expected them to improve and approach enough to make some noise, but if their cherry picked numbers will be very near to the whole new picture, we are going to see a knives close combat battle in the trench between both companies (literally, we will see blood flowing).

And know it's clear why NVidia increased so much the performance regarding the previous generation. They did just baby steps for years knowing they have no competence, so they can charge us more for less improvement but enough so people wanna change the card on next gen. Very shady, with the 3000 series now we see how much they have hold back. They unleashed all they had now because they know better than nobody else that AMD has something really big being cooked. It can be seen that all that NVidia strategy is a clear proof they had been doing high-level industrial espionage on AMD (all those companies doe to competitors, no saints here, but mother of good, that's too evident :lol:)

And it's expected that Ray Tracing performance should be better in NVidia side, they have more experience now. But as now all the manufacturers give support and in the consoles will be present too; it's expected that a lot more games include that possibility, that it wouldn't be so niche than it has been for so long and both AMD and NVidia will keep improving on that part.

The best of all is that, like on the CPU market, the most benefited from that real competence are us, the consumers. Now it's only a matter to see if Intel succeeds with their Xi cards in a near future and it's going to be the best times to get a good gaming rig.

Regards
WerewolfCustoms

#156 Post by WerewolfCustoms » 29 Oct 2020 09:29

Nvidia launching the 3000 series with such good performance and lowered prices was a good indication that AMD was cooking up something big.
And, indeed AMD delivered. The 6800XT is looking good, but the 50$ price difference isn't that much... I'm way more impressed by the 1000$ 6900XT that compares to the 1500$ 3090. --- That's 3090 performance for 200$ LESS than what 2080Ti used to cost. I did my PC build a couple of months ago and was flirting with the idea of an 2080Ti - I'm sure glad I waited. :) Now will wait a few more months to see how the real-world numbers look, and all the scalping blows over, and I'll get myself a new card.
Some newbie driver

#157 Post by Some newbie driver » 29 Oct 2020 09:53

Yeah, scalping is going to be a problem. Luckily for us, NVidia suffered it first so its possible several retailers improve the process of the release.

I'm a strong defender in those cases of pre-order lists, with randomized start point in the list (chosen at a previously announced time), with limit of purchases and a reasonable window of time after the notification to purchase the card before one is skipped in the queue. There still will be people purchasing just to sell it on ebay afterwards, but they will not be purchasing tens of them neither people should had to flood the webpages hitting F5 to see if they are lucky to find one. And the most important, to be the first would doesn't matter anything, so nobody has to stress to be available at a certain moment of the day to avoid be the last monkey on the queue.

We will see what happens because Ryzen 4th gen could also be affected by that scalping in a few days, specially now we know the new cards will take advantage of being combined with them. All those years denying the urban legend that it's best to pair NVidia with Intel and AMD with ATI (and with itself later), and now its going to be true. :lol:

PS: And today is being (or going to be? don't know the hour) the launch of the 3070. We are going to behold more madness all over Internet. :mrgreen:
plykkegaard

#158 Post by plykkegaard » 29 Oct 2020 10:25

Only thing which will help is not buying from scalpers, or set a higher price at introduction letting the shop earn the extra income not the scalpers

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#159 Post by Some newbie driver » 29 Oct 2020 11:48

No shop is going to sell over msrp "auto-scalping" themselves because that would mean to lose customers and specially to loose any future shipment of that manufacturer for lots of months. Nobody in that business is going to annoy the manufacturers in such a way, it's a commercial suicide. Look the minefield that MSI entered with that filial of them scalping a few 3080's. If there would be other non so "focused" PC parts, it could happen. Something similar already happened back in time when the Singapore floods destroyed 70% of worldwide hard drive factories; the desperation to don't run out of stock made the price skyrocket up to 300% everywhere, not for new delivered ones but for those that where already gathering dusk in the warehouses. But with graphic cards it's a no.

And unfortunately, first world is plenty of too many people with too many money to spent and that doesn't matter at all their actions have consequences for other people. So, scalpers are going to keep scalping because they will keep having customers eager and desperate to pay in order to have what they want now.

Regards
plykkegaard

#160 Post by plykkegaard » 29 Oct 2020 12:31

Its illegal for manufacturers to dictate the consumer price at least in EU, price cartels between retailers is also a big no go

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”