Trucks Do Not Accelerate Down Mountains

Should brakes be necessary to maintain speed downhill in ATS?

Yes, I want a challenging mountain driving experience
94%
No, I prefer the current physics engine
6%

Total votes: 36

xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Trucks Do Not Accelerate Down Mountains

#21 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 07 Nov 2020 09:52

supersobes wrote: 07 Nov 2020 00:02 Thanks for the correction, xXCARL1992Xx! :) Regardless of how the intricacies of brake fade work though, the principal idea that you should not ride the brakes down a steep grade remains true. ;)
yes, it doesnt change the fact that the engine brake, a retarder, the exhaust brake and/or shifting into a lower gear is better then constantly using the service brake to maintain speed, auxiliary brakes are made for this exact reason, also wear and tear of the service brake is reduced
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
plykkegaard

#22 Post by plykkegaard » 07 Nov 2020 09:57

Doing 72 mph downhill with mouse steering does require your full attention, I didn't dare to start the recorder, another time maybe

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
akima

#23 Post by akima » 07 Nov 2020 11:11

I 100% agree with the op.

I do think the current physics engine is fantastic and really captures the feel of driving a heavy truck, but this is one area where it could be improved.

I'd really enjoy the extra challenge of having to more intelligently & skillfully manage:
- the gap I keep between vehicles in front
- when I start using the brakes before having to stop
- my entry speed to downhill sections and my use of the various brakes for controlling downhill speed

Right now there isn't too much skill or challenge involved with momentum and braking.

Also: I love the feel of momentum.
Optional Features

#24 Post by Optional Features » 07 Nov 2020 21:19

akima wrote: 07 Nov 2020 11:11 I 100% agree with the op.

I do think the current physics engine is fantastic and really captures the feel of driving a heavy truck, but this is one area where it could be improved.

I'd really enjoy the extra challenge of having to more intelligently & skillfully manage:
- the gap I keep between vehicles in front
- when I start using the brakes before having to stop
- my entry speed to downhill sections and my use of the various brakes for controlling downhill speed

Right now there isn't too much skill or challenge involved with momentum and braking.

Also: I love the feel of momentum.
Yeah, it keeps you on your toes.

My main gripe is I can't hear the jake consistently, and that's my favorite sound in the game haha. I want to roll it from the top of a mountain all the way into town and never have to hit the gas.
akima

#25 Post by akima » 07 Nov 2020 22:17

I haven't driven a truck like this, but it suprises me how powerful the engine brakes are in this game. They can very quickly bring the truck to a near stop in all situations except for steep declines. I too would like to be able to hold the engine/jake brake all the way down a hill. Right now I only have to pulse it infrequently on most downslopes to slow the truck.
plykkegaard

#26 Post by plykkegaard » 07 Nov 2020 22:29

Check you keyboard settings you can control the effect of the engine brake not onlyu toggle, if you have a retarder you can also control this

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
supersobes
Global moderator

#27 Post by supersobes » 08 Nov 2020 01:03

@akima I agree that the engine brakes are a bit too strong in the game. The first stage of the engine brake should be able to hold the vehicle at a set speed on a steep downgrade, but in ATS, even the first stage of the engine brake starts to significantly slow the vehicle. Lowering the value of the the command "g_brake_intensity" helps some, but I think that perhaps SCS should tweak the engine brakes too.
busted85

#28 Post by busted85 » 08 Nov 2020 03:24

With the engine brake it does seems way to strong! If you look at the files near the bottome they have engine_brake: 2.0 and then engine_brake_positions: 3 . I will normally change these to make them closer to what feels better. I change the engine brake to 0.8 and brake positions to 2. But my biggest issue with this is as far as I can tell you will have to do this with each engine file you are using rather it be SCS engine or modded engine and you have to change for each truck also. Hopefully one day this could be moved so you could change it universially for all engines. It get to be a hassle doing it for each truck.
Optional Features

#29 Post by Optional Features » 08 Nov 2020 10:10

In general, I think we can all agree that stopping distances are a little too impressive in game. Not sure if these numbers I found in a video are correct, but a 65 mph stop for a semi irl according to https://youtu.be/42FAvTpbSSg takes over 500 feet.

I'd guess with the brake slider all the way left it's 350 or so, and again, this only makes the brakes weak rather than the truck feel heavy.

Another thing to note, and this is getting slightly off topic, are the squeals and hisses and groans that truck brakes produce as they slow the vehicle. It's iconic to the type of vehicle, but almost completely missing from the game.

A truck slowing down with air brakes, even on a flat road, makes a very particular, and hard to ignore sound. I'd say of all games Snowrunner/Mudrunner probably has the best air brake sounds by default. But this probably a different topic for a different time.

I agree about the jakes too, and perhaps that is part of my issue with mountains. The jakes are so strong, and the truck feels so light that accelerating is the only way to maintain speed.

Typically stage 2 is more than enough for me in-game, when fully loaded I assume I'd be in stage 3 trying to stop.
Last edited by Optional Features on 08 Nov 2020 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

#30 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 08 Nov 2020 10:17

o.0 are truck brakes srsly this much made out of cheese in the US or is this not an emergancy brake situation in the video ?

here they test a european one empty and fully loaded (40t max.) and and the distance is not significantly different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxFktLhr30k

ofc emrergancy brake situation, what i assume is also in your video the case
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”