Blind spot behind side mirrors

Thorium Flakk Inc.

Blind spot behind side mirrors

#1 Post by Thorium Flakk Inc. » 13 Nov 2020 12:52

Y'all,

there's a huge blind spot behind right side mirrors (for left-hand trucks, and then left side mirrors for right-hand trucks) in most of the trucks. And I don't mean in reflections, but physically behind the mirror in the line of sight from the driver's seat. See screenshot as example. Now in same cases you can work around this by panning around as the FOV's center is a circle, not a point, so you see a bit behind it in some angles, or if the intersection you're coming to is clear with lots of visibility, you can check those corners in advance. But not always.

Biggest problem with that is in Scania Streamline / R2009, those mirrors are HUGE, and while they're offering BEST visibility in reflections, they also cover a lot of screen real estate so it's virtually impossible to see anything on any T-intersection you're coming to, from that truck. But it pretty much affects all the trucks, even MAN which imho offers best mirror size vs visibility relationship (and TGX Euro 6 is my fav and "main" truck).

My question... is there a mod or something that can fix this? IRL, you'd lean forward or backward or left or right and with that translate the center of your FOV and thus work around those mirrors. Is there something like that in ETS2?
Attachments
20201113133835_1.jpg
FlyingPigeon

Re: Blind spot behind side mirrors

#2 Post by FlyingPigeon » 18 Nov 2020 05:33

Irl you cant do much either, Also the example you show here is MAN TGX and it’s Know for This issue irl, leaning forward or backeards dont do much help.
Scandinavian truckdriver.
Reinhard

#3 Post by Reinhard » 18 Nov 2020 07:44

If a mod would try it, it would have to sacrifice the "leaning out of the" window function. Because that camera trajectory is the only possible modding solution. I don't know if such mod exists.

What helps is a head tracker. With that you can really lean forward/backward, and to the sides, at least a bit. And still lean out.
Thorium Flakk Inc.

#4 Post by Thorium Flakk Inc. » 18 Nov 2020 11:36

I see. So it's approach slowly and not at 90° :)
Tarso
Beta tester

#5 Post by Tarso » 18 Nov 2020 12:01

I'm assuming the zoom feature has already been tried, it's not a proper lean but it really helps me in some moments i need to look closer at the opposite side mirrors.

I link it to my RMB so when i am moving the camera i can also just zoom to see the mirror closer.
Thorium Flakk Inc.

#6 Post by Thorium Flakk Inc. » 18 Nov 2020 13:31

Tarso wrote: 18 Nov 2020 12:01 I'm assuming the zoom feature has already been tried, ...
I don't need to look INTO the mirrors, but BEHIND them, or THROUGH them if you will. As seen in the screenie, the entire incoming lane is masked by the mirror and I can't see if there's any cars coming down the lane until it's too late. This is just one example, the mirrors blocking view to the road behind them is very common in many T-junction scenarios.
Tarso
Beta tester

#7 Post by Tarso » 18 Nov 2020 13:59

Oh, i see it now, i misunderstood the initial statement, sorry.
Some newbie driver

#8 Post by Some newbie driver » 18 Nov 2020 13:59

Each truck has it's own dead angle due the mirrors. If you use a single truck model constantly, you will get used at which point you have to stop in a junction in order to be able to see the AI vehicles coming.

As Reinhard said, there's no included function to lean our camera except a little one for those who play with head tracking systems.

One button like the internal zoom that will make an slowly front lean while kept pressed would be nice... and another button to map somewhere :(
The Old Fart

#9 Post by The Old Fart » 18 Nov 2020 16:18

Thorium Flakk Inc., I agree with you... very annoying stuff. I have an alternative you can try - it's a mini mod with a new camera (I 'borowed the wheel cam - so activate that) which lets you see along the right side of the truck. It's like a lean-out camera that can look forward and be rotated to look straight back along the right side of the truck. The mod also contains a revised Top Camera which features a view from a higher perspective. If find it useful. If you don't want that just delete the file top camera in the def/units folder.

I've not tried this in 1.39 (i've been away from the game for a while) but it worked fine in 1.38. Feel free to tinker with the files an adjust these as you like.
Here's the link to my mod: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xh6536 ... sp=sharing
Old Fart Trucking - I haul ass, and everything else!
Paranoimia

#10 Post by Paranoimia » 13 Dec 2020 14:46

I recently bought a Tobii Eye Tracker 5, and it helps with this. It's a bit of an expensive solution just for this, but if you're considering a head/eye tracking solution, it will help.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”