Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Reignman

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#201 Post by Reignman » 16 Nov 2020 07:38

Wow, the 3600 is sold out everywhere except Amazon which is now selling them for $268 lol. Mental is putting it mildly. It's left the X and XT in the dust and is now creeping up on it's predecessor the 5600X xD. I can also get a R7 3700X for $305 or a 3800X for $340. Impatience is driving this madness.

GPU's are getting worse too. The EVGA KO 2060 was $330 most of the summer, but now it's over $360. There's nothing below $340 except for the single fan blower type cards, which I think are meant for mini and ITX builds.

Nothing make sense anymore. Retailers were supposed to spread out their holiday deals this year because of covid, but apparently that doesn't apply to PC parts lol. Next week they'll drop everything down to it's normal price and call it a big sale.

I said I'd never pay more than $170 for a 3600 but it doesn't look like I'll ever see it back down to that price again. Not anytime soon anyway. But it probably doesn't matter because now I'm focused on the 5600X, even though I realize I probably won't get one until 2021. Which is probably fine too because the 3060 rumors are looking to be true, so I'll be waiting anyway. Back in August, never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd even wait until November to finish building this PC, but now it might by January or February lol. It figures I'd wait 12 years to build a PC and it would turn out to be the worst time ever.
WerewolfCustoms

#202 Post by WerewolfCustoms » 16 Nov 2020 09:25

Well, retailers are in the business of making money.
It's simply supply and demand. They'd be foolish not to make money when they can.
Sucks for the end buyer, but it's exactly how it's should be.

Demand is so high now, that simply everything gets bought, no matter the price.
It will probably stay like this for at least Q1 2021.

Also, GPU prices are crazy due to crypto-mining. It almost doubled the prices of GPUs for a while.
It's slowly getting better, but still crazy.
Some newbie driver

#203 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Nov 2020 16:16

Crypto-mining? I'm going to suppose of "minor" currencies because who things to mine bitcoins (and some others, but mostly bitcoins due they are rising price again) using a GPU it's a fool actually.

For the rest, yes it seems people has turn crazy buying literally everything. It's like they are all over-hyped to purchase a new PC but due the scarcity on the most new models they are predating everything else.

I bet you more than one of those buyers are people who sold their previous parts to have money enough to purchase a new RTX 3000 and now it has to settle with anything else he can find.
Tails

#204 Post by Tails » 16 Nov 2020 22:52

In Canada the GPU prices are quite expensive it took me lots more saving up and a discount sale before I could buy my Nvidia 2060 GPU.

Also waiting for my new B550 motherboard to come home so I can hope the new motherboard will be able to work so I can play some high end games.
like to explore new areas of maps for both ATS and ETS2.

WOT profile https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4885036
GT182

#205 Post by GT182 » 20 Nov 2020 00:33

Tails, remember.... all new motherboards now sold will only support Windows 10. And the B550 is one of them. So far I hate W10, but that's me. Many love it, but I also hear many hate it. What ever happened to having a choice with using MS Windows operating systems? Oh... we now have none at all. :x
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Reignman

#206 Post by Reignman » 20 Nov 2020 13:56

Yeah sadly there isn't much competition anywhere in the PC industry, OS, CPU, GPU. Not many options, so the consumer is losing everywhere.

I'm about to give up on this PC building nonsense until 2021 though because it's starting to drive me nuts lol. In fact I'm starting to smell some shenanigans with these manufacturers. Why are supplies so low with demand so high? Zen 3 hit the shelves on the 5th and sold out in seconds, so I signed up for an email alert at several places to let me know when new stock arrives, and I've yet to receive an alert. So you're telling me nobody has gotten a new shipment in 2 weeks? I don't actually expect to get one, I'm just trying to monitor supply and when these places typically receive new shipments.

AMD partners were issuing out of stock warnings with the 6800 before it even launched, and they're not accepting back orders. Everyone is driving up demand so they can sell all the older stuff at marked up prices. Everyday older gen GPU's keep going up in price, and suddenly they're out of stock everywhere at those higher prices. I can't find a 2060 for less than $360, and some are going for $450. It's easier to get a 1660ti for under $300 than a Super. The cheapest 2070 is $460.

At least it's a little easier to get an R5 3600 for $199, but when they're out of stock, Amazon is gouging them at $268, or $100 more than what you could buy them for back in July. Once a week Walmart was selling them for $175, but they haven't done that since early October. I'll wait another year before I pay $199 or more for a 3600 lol. And based on demand, and lack of supply, it might be a year before I get my hands on a 5600X or 3060.
jarryed

#207 Post by jarryed » 20 Nov 2020 14:06

Blame the scalpers. They finally figured out that they can make money off the regular joe with pc parts. And people buy from them instead of waiting. Just gives them more incentive to keep screwing with everything.

Amazon does not participate in price gouging. If the item is sold by a third party and fulfilled by Amazon the third party has direct control over their pricing. Not fair to blame Amazon. Blame the 3rd party sellers!!
Last edited by jarryed on 20 Nov 2020 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Reignman

#208 Post by Reignman » 20 Nov 2020 14:08

Reignman wrote: 14 Sep 2020 21:47In the meantime, I'm thinking about ordering a small SATA SSD, better RAM, and a cheap GPU in an effort to upgrade my current PC a little bit while I wait. I watched JayzTwoCents do something similar with a 12yo PC (same as mine) and I liked the results. I figure I can maybe squeeze into all that for $100. On the other hand I can save the $100 and upgrade something on the new PC? Decisions, decisions. I would like to continue using this PC after I get the new one, so I'm leaning toward the upgrade.
Some newbie driver wrote: 14 Sep 2020 22:53Save the money for the current rig until you have it complete. If you save some money in the end, you will have it to keep the second rig in order to do secondary works. If you spend it now on the update and later you can't find the deals I expected you could find; you are going to curse me to don't be able to finish the computer before next year. :lol:
You didn't like my idea a couple months ago, but what about now :lol: ? Who knows how long I'm going to have to wait, so I'm once again tempted to spend $100 to try and upgrade this current pile of crap to make things a little less miserable while I wait.
Some newbie driver

#209 Post by Some newbie driver » 20 Nov 2020 14:13

One of those situations where egoist of the individual ends damaging everybody, even the egoist ones.

On the other side; it's ridiculous that on 2020 and with that same scalping being a thing on lots of other product FOR YEARS, nobody on a trillonaire industry like the PC computers could not foresee that coming and get ready for it.

I seems me more as every day it passes that there are idiots on the management everywhere...

PS: @Reignman that's a backstabbing :lol: Yeah, hard to imagine how things had gone in a few months. I will say you complete the NEW rig on the things that there are availability (CPU, even if not at so good price but screw those Amazon cons), RAM and the others... And then go very very cheap on a graphic card so cheap you don't mind to burn it in 3 months. If not using the old one.... Or was the old one failing the reason for the new rig? Don't remember now. :?
Reignman

#210 Post by Reignman » 24 Nov 2020 19:27

Well even if there weren't scalpers, the supply is disappointingly low. In other words, even if real people would have bought the first shipment of product (5000 series CPU's, 3000 series GPU's, and AMD's 6800's), everything would still be currently out of stock. The 5000 series CPU's sold out nearly 3 weeks ago and nobody has gotten a new shipment since, so what the hell is going on there? I would understand if everyone was getting a new shipment every few days or once a week, and then sold out right away, but they're not even getting shipments. Does it take AMD a month to make more CPU's? Is everyone stockpiling for a big holiday sale? Or if they have been getting new stock, then their email alerts aren't working because I'm signed up to get an alert at several places for when they post new stock and I have yet to get an email. How can anyone order them if they're not posted? It's starting to piss me off lol. The 3600 keeps selling out quickly too, but I at least see a new shipment of those posted every other day.

Walmart somehow got it's hands on some 5600's because I saw this on Amazon yesterday. Rather opportunistic of them to sell it at 2x MSRP lol.

[ external image ]

But then I go straight to Walmart and it's already sold out ofc, and it's a lower price then what Amazon says, but still much higher than MSRP.

[ external image ]

Oh and here's what those Amazon cons do when everyone else is sold out. They jack up the price. The 3600 here.

[ external image ]

And a 2060 that I've been watching. $550 for a 2060 lol? Most are selling between $400-500 now.

[ external image ]

I have no idea what that MemoryC company is, but they sell everything 30% higher than anyone else, so I don't know how they stay in business. I thought maybe it was some overseas company, maybe Europe or Japan, but it's based here in the US. Maybe their PC parts come with magic fairy dust or something.
Some newbie driver wrote: 20 Nov 2020 14:13If not using the old one.... Or was the old one failing the reason for the new rig? Don't remember now. :?
The old one is a useless pile of crap lol. A 9800GT. It doesn't support directX 11 or 12, and only gets me about 20 FPS in ATS at 1366x768 resolution. I don't know if I'm frustrated enough to pay $200 for a 3600 though. And nothing else is worth it. I could get a 3700X for $295, but why do that if I can get a 5600X for the same price (eventually)? And most of the 1660 Supers have climbed over $300 now too. I didn't even want to pay that for a 2060 lol. Back in May you could get a 2060 for $280. Prices are definitely insane right now and we're just a few days away from Black Friday.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”