Mack Anthem the worst stock vehicle to drive?

Some newbie driver

Re: Mack Anthem the worst stock vehicle to drive?

#31 Post by Some newbie driver » 06 Dec 2020 12:05

F4R35 wrote: 06 Dec 2020 11:42even if you're driving a car like even a small car like Renault Twingo or the Opel Corsa B which has it's mirrors very close to the A pillars you have to turn your head to see the left mirror.
On a truck I can't say, but on a car, if well designed, you should be able to see left mirror (right on UK or similar right lane driving) just turning your eyes, not your entire head.

Although people that use glasses (for example) tend to always turn head instead of eyes because is how they will see better. It's a reflex non conscious act of that people compared with the ones that had never used glasses. Even people that had stopped use glasses (uses contact lenses now or has fixed their vision with surgery) keeps that unconscious head movement for a long time.

Whatever, what it's clear is that a mirror will NEVER be placed in our front, they are at a side, near but at a side anyways. So, it's naive to expect to see the left mirror when looking straight into the game on a regular single-display desktop setup. As Max said, that should require the whole 3D scene would be distorted a lot, like if we were on one of that mirror houses on a theme park.

If people don't want to turn a bit the head with whichever option the game provides, there's always the F2 mirrors.

Regards
xXCARL1992Xx

#32 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 06 Dec 2020 12:09

and you still should move your head even if you dont wear glasses, this is what almost every driver instructor will tell you, in Germany it will be even pointed out as negative if you dont turn your head to your mirror to check what is happening behind you, even if you change lanes you are supposed to look over your shoulder also to see if there is no Car that was hiding in your blind spot before you change lane
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
plykkegaard

#33 Post by plykkegaard » 06 Dec 2020 12:16

Some newbie driver wrote: 06 Dec 2020 12:05 On a truck I can't say, but on a car, if well designed, you should be able to see left mirror (right on UK or similar right lane driving) just turning your eyes, not your entire head.
Mirror can be seen but without leaning you might miss what you could have been in your blind spot
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#34 Post by Wolfi » 06 Dec 2020 12:23

Woo.. here we go again :roll:
I can only say: no worries guys, there's a solution coming for you. It's called "Camera mirrors". Soon enough on every IRL truck you will have a nice big tablet placed on your A-pillar, a lot closer to your center of vision.
Until then, turning your head is the effort you have to make on some of the trucks.
It's actually mostly dictated by the driver cab width. The narrower the driver part, the wider the mirrors have to be to reflect over the large sleeper. Cascadia and 49X are ok, because the driver cab is almost as wide as the sleeper, so no need for the mirrors to be far away. On the Anthem and Lonestar it's slightly worse as the sleeper is visibly wider than the driver cab. (with the Anthem the fact that the mirrors are in the middle of the side window doesn't help either)
But hey, you should all be happy that the W900 and Pete 389 are not accurate at all in this department, cause those trucks IRL have their mirrors so far away from the cab, that they should probably have their own license plates :P
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
murdoch82

#35 Post by murdoch82 » 06 Dec 2020 12:27

I have said for ages @Max and everyone else. Maybe give the trucks some hood mirrors in the style of the Volvo VNL for all trucks, those round ones, they look good and they work pretty well, because too many of the trucks even the hood mirrors are useless. On the Mack I actually use the hood mirrors mostly, and it works pretty well. But that is not doable on all trucks.

I have no trubble with the Mack tho... its great!
PC: AMD Ryzen R9 5900X, 32 Gb 3200 Mhz,MSI X570S Tomahawk WifI MAX, 6750XT 12Gb, 2x LG 27GL650B-F 144 Hz 1 x ASUS 24" 60 hz 3x1080p, G29 + H-Shifter, TrackIR5
plykkegaard

#36 Post by plykkegaard » 06 Dec 2020 12:35

Wolfi wrote: 06 Dec 2020 12:23 Woo.. here we go again :roll:
Yeah, would be better to split it into a off topic thread, eg "how to properly use mirrors" or something :D

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
F4R35

#37 Post by F4R35 » 06 Dec 2020 13:30

No disrespect to any driver whatsoever, but if you're not turning your head (IRL or ingame) to check your mirrors then you're not a good driver.

SCS has implemented the mirrors physics feature when you turn your head, so if you really know what you're doing, you'll turn your head regardless :)
"Expectations are the thief of Joy"
PBandJ

#38 Post by PBandJ » 06 Dec 2020 14:05

This reminds me of the movie "Ground hog Day". :)
Some newbie driver

#39 Post by Some newbie driver » 06 Dec 2020 14:14

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 06 Dec 2020 12:09and you still should move your head even if you don't wear glasses, this is what almost every driver instructor will tell you, in Germany it will be even pointed out as negative if you dont turn your head to your mirror to check what is happening behind you, even if you change lanes you are supposed to look over your shoulder also to see if there is no Car that was hiding in your blind spot before you change lane
My instructor teach me to lean head (as plykkegaard said), not to turn it, to have a glimpse of the blind spot. Turning heads only serves on regular cars with rear windows, not on commercial vehicles (because the blind spot is behind the B pillar). I can't say if that was the "norm" on the teaching at a national level (I couldn't know that) but I can say that I end having the "more natural" (or whatever) turn head habit for years until I started to drive commercial vehicles at work and soon found (tthe hard way) how dangerous could be not to do the lean and stick on the useless turn head habit.

In the game there's no lean ant the mirror keeps out of the FoV (more or leas, depending on each setup) so we turn. Also the lean in trucks doesn't make so many sense when a second mirror gives you vision on the blindspot.

Regards
abasstreppas

#40 Post by abasstreppas » 06 Dec 2020 14:29

I guess that most of the complainers are quite new to the game and then it's understandable to have problems with the mirror placement. It definitely takes some time to get used to all camera movements in cab, depending on you setup. It will never be close to real life, even with VR technique. ;)

Return to “Gameplay Questions”