Utah Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Utah Discussion Thread

#2771 Post by flight50 » 04 Dec 2020 20:08

^Yep. If they added CA-120 and now US-34, you kinda tossed out the fact that.....yeah you can't truck that because its a national park. As long as there are no clearance issues on a path, length restrictions could apply anywhere. Not all lcv's will work on all roads. This is when we, the driver needs to plan our route accordingly. For the most part, majority of all loads can clear 13'-0" so most routes should be in play. For whatever reason though, UT-12, UT-24 and UT-95 from the dds map was kick out the equation. With the feedback I see many people say about Utah, its really a dlc that can get more added to it besides UT-56. The negative is primarily with SLC and the emptiness in roads.

Although Utah is actually high on my list for likes, it does lack in areas that can be fixed. There are people out there still that may refuse to buy it. That blocks future purchases perhaps. Fix things or add to them when the community provides feedback and the damage is minimal for the future. People read this forum that are not even members here. When they see stuff that is posted here, why would they be eager to buy. Provide the missing most talked about things and call it as day. 3500 miles is low our lowest dlc total todate in the West. With UT-56 and the addition of Tremonton, if SCS filled in the South, Utah would have just as many miles as Washington (3800) or New Mexico (4000).
interstate trav

#2772 Post by interstate trav » 04 Dec 2020 22:01

The funny thing is I like Utah it’s got a lot of scenic value, if I wanted to be really picky I’d say yeah the Mountains around Salt Lake City could be redone but that’s about it, they have managed to get the feeling of the 15 in Utah, and it’s more enjoyable then the 15 in California and in real life the 14 Antelope Valley Freeway and the 15 in California are my favorite freeways to drive. But in the game they make the 15 empty and almost no exits, and Barstow looks nothing like the real thing,and the 14 is a freeway not a small road and there is a huge suburb of houses outside of Los Angeles not an empty road until the 58, I’m more focused on California because Utah with realistic feel is much better then California.
rbsanford

#2773 Post by rbsanford » 06 Dec 2020 18:35

The 95/24/12 network could be more logistically useful if the 24 were continued west from Torrey and connected to I-70 at Richfield via the 119, which is very scenic as it descends into the Sevier Valley among the Rainbow Hills. This would offer an alternate route between Salina and points southeast.

With the inclusion of the Trail Ridge Road, I'm surprised nobody here brought up UT 9 between Hurricane and Mt. Carmel Jct, through magnificent Zion National Park. It's definitely not a truck route, but the scenery is amazing.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#2774 Post by flight50 » 06 Dec 2020 19:41

@rbsanford you could be on to something. Looking at the map, the below just might be Richfield that is already in the game. SCS could update it detail wise and carve a route thru the mountains for the connection. Iirc, there are stub outs for US-89 @ UT-12 and at
US-191 @ UT-95. But yeah I have to agree on UT-24 connecting to that part of I-70 versus over near US-191. The connection near US-191 destroys too much of the scenery.

I also thing UT-24 West of Torrey is very scenic, heck the entire road is scenic. Taking I-15 to UT-24 to UT-95 isn't ideal for speed but I think allowing players to make that choice is what its about. That entire region of Utah is very very scenic and I think it would be a great fill in for Utah. Seems like a lot of terrain can easily be hidden with mountains and vegetation, so I don't think scale is an issue in this area. Lots of space.

[ external image ]

UT-12 (US-89 to UT-24)
view 1
view 2
view 3
view 4
view 5
view 6
view 7

UT-24 (I-15 to UT-95)
view 1
view 2
view 3
view 4
view 5
view 6
view 7
view 8

UT-95 (UT-24 to US-191)
view 1
view 2
view 3
view 4
view 5

Utah is a lot more beautiful that what's represented. The entire state should be showcased. If CA-120 and US-34 can come, I don't see why UT-12, UT-24 and UT-95 was stopped from making it when they were thoughts from the dds file. I think more people would purchase Utah it if showed a bit more. This makes me worried about Wyoming. Open natural space can be some of the most scenic there is. This is what the West is about.....scenery. I hope SCS changes there mind and fills in Southern Utah like they originally thought. The rock tool is an awesome tool and Southern Utah can shine with this tool. There's a lot of green in this area mixed in with nice rock formations and creates a great impression of Utah a bit better.

If Utah can add even more roads, it surpasses Washington in road miles. People are focusing on city count and road miles to judge the West. Me personally, I actually like Utah more than Washington. I'm a landscape guy. I like the beauty of natural rock and then with the greenery sprinkled in and Utah would be that much better. There's plenty or green coming to ATS as we push East so the beauty of the West will only last so long. Utah and Idaho unfortunately fall a little short with roads but just the addition of fan feedback for both dlc's can improve both and perhaps more people would buy them. Its these scenic roads that I'd like to see convoys on for Multiplayer.
ads678

#2775 Post by ads678 » 06 Dec 2020 20:08

Utah for me is the weakest paid DLC. Release of the state felt a little bit rushed. It has poor road network, sometimes mediocre quality textures and bad optimization.
There should be UT-14, UT-12, UT-24 and UT-95. Make Monticello marked, so these routes will make more sense. Also add US-6 and US-89 as alternate routes to I-15.
This is how I think the map should look https://i.imgur.com/FHXbrX5.jpg
Knightrider

#2776 Post by Knightrider » 06 Dec 2020 20:25

@ads678
I like your rendition!
Best Regards.

Hosting a dedicated server for ETS 2/ATS, with optional mods support.
flight50

#2777 Post by flight50 » 06 Dec 2020 21:26

Yeah I agree with ads678 for the most part. I like the UT-24 to I-70 though. If you wanna go all out though, I'd add UT-30 from I-80 to connect I-84. It bypasses SLC to get North. Funny thing is that everything in that revision but UT-14 was thought about on that dds file but they didn't come. I am not sure if it was rushed. My honestly thought is that they spent too much time on rock formation scenes and didn't get to other roads. Utah released a year ago and to date only UT-56 came. Hopefully more is coming to polish up the state and make it denser.

I like Delta as mapped as well. There's at least 1-2 farms that could have come over there. Plenty of green land.
rbsanford

#2778 Post by rbsanford » 06 Dec 2020 21:45

@ads678, great concept map, as always! The only things I think it needs are the UT 24 connection to I-70, UT 9, and maybe a different connection between Cedar City and the 89, something like a route along the Cedar Breaks and Panguitch Lake into Panguitch.

I've been thinking of doing a concept map myself of the 12/24/95 network (this needs a snappier name, like the "Utah Void" or the "Powell Triad") and nearby roads. I just might start work on that.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#2779 Post by flight50 » 06 Dec 2020 22:03

UT-14 makes a bit more sense than UT-9 though. At least to me. Spread out the connections to I-15 as much as possible to make sure you have space to make it. Your idea for Richfield works because that town is already there.

If Hanksville became marked, it can be like Clifton, Az. I'd take Hanksville as mark over Monticello. 1-2 depots in Hanksville gives us a reason to travel that road for sure. Otherwise, its just a detour but either way, the road is beneficial.

Looking at ads678's revision, it instantly makes Utah denser and is what people would find more acceptable and worthty of a $11.99 price tag. Now for me, I'll pay whatever SCS wants but there are many out there that won't feel the same way. Utah and Idaho could add a few more roads to justify themselves imo. Too many people think they are only worth $9.99. If I was SCS, I'd reassure customers a bit more and provide relief with roads that fans talk about the most.
ads678

#2780 Post by ads678 » 07 Dec 2020 02:31

@rbsanford I don't see a possibility to connect UT-24 and I-70 without rebuilding existing map. Connection between Cedar City and Panguitch via UT-14/148/143 looks even better actually, I agree. UT-9 would be a nice bonus, but I'm not sure about space for it.

@flight50 I agree with you about UT-30, would be nice to have this road too. Also Delta was on my concept, but I don't expect SCS to add new marked cities to existing map tbh.
Hanksville as marked city would work if UT-24 and I-70 connection was possible, otherwise it doesn't make much sense. Plus Monticello is 10x bigger town than Hanksville (but still very small).

Return to “General discussion about the game”