How to add nodes

ARez

How to add nodes

#1 Post by ARez » 09 Dec 2020 11:37

I would like to be able to create a new node for my mirrors so I can add some antennas I created, but not sure how to do it in blender. Is there any good tutorials or youtube
video's etc. Thanks
BlackBloodRum

Re: How to add nodes

#2 Post by BlackBloodRum » 09 Dec 2020 12:05

Hi,

Just add a new scs locator (found in scs tools menu) and name kt "slot_0" (or any number)

You'll need to do this for both mirrors of the antennas are on both. So you'll get slot_0 on mirror 1, and slot_1 on mirror 2 for example.

If you haven't already, this does mean modifying the mirrors model however.
Open Modder - Making mods for the fun of modding, without locking them or trying to make a profit. The way modding should be.

World of Trucks | Screenshots | ATS Mods | ETS2 Mods | Gitlab Repositories
ARez

#3 Post by ARez » 09 Dec 2020 12:18

BlackBloodRum wrote: 09 Dec 2020 12:05
If you haven't already, this does mean modifying the mirrors model however.
Im not sure what you mean by this.
BlackBloodRum

#4 Post by BlackBloodRum » 09 Dec 2020 13:55

I'm sorry I didn't mean to confuse you. I rushed writing my reply a little.

Okay so, I'm assuming your referring to addon slots that is what you're looking to add? The red dots?

These slots exist on a per model basis, so for example let's say you've got a chrome mirror set and a plastic one.

You want to add an additional, but optional item to that mirror, then the item needs to become a slot item. These slots are added per model file (the red dot) which means, if you added the slot to the chrome mirrors, that slot wouldn't be available on the plastic mirrors unless you also added the slot on that model too.

Overall it sounds complicated and difficult, but it's easy once you've got it down.

However, if your intention is purely to add antennas to mirrors, in my opinion, the most simple and quickest way to do that is to take the base mirrors (import them), add your antenna to them and export them under a different name. Finally adding a def file to point to them (new menu entry).

Either way :D keep doing what you're doing and good luck :D

There's a lot of useful information here as well:
https://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Main_Page
Open Modder - Making mods for the fun of modding, without locking them or trying to make a profit. The way modding should be.

ARez

#5 Post by ARez » 09 Dec 2020 14:06

I would also like to be able to add a node that does not exist yet so I can add accessories to lets say the front fenders as well. Thx for your replies.
BlackBloodRum

#6 Post by BlackBloodRum » 09 Dec 2020 14:42

Do you mean the main grey slots that are all over the truck?

If so, that gets a little more complicated. For that, you'll probably need (depending on truck) to import the main truck.pmd into blender. The grey slots are locators within the truck.pmd. But beware editing the main truck.pmd will basically replace the entire truck model.

Once imported, just name your locator something like chs_antenna, this will allow you to create def files for a node named chs_antenna and they will use that locator as the positioning.

Although, watch out for any meterial or other things that may break from a large import / export like that.

I don't recommended doing it this way unless you have no choice and are comfortable doing so. Always try to use the existing nodes first.

ARez

#7 Post by ARez » 09 Dec 2020 14:55

Yes the grey ones, I have imported my truck and extended the frame and did some other things already. Ok so do I click on the add root on the scs tools tab to get the locator for where I want the part to be located, and do I need to add an object or just drag the locator one into the truck object? Thx
ARez

#8 Post by ARez » 09 Dec 2020 15:16

Ok, so I got the node working, thank you very much. I didn't know how to get the data to see the node and since you said the def files I was able to copy and edit one from there. Now I just need to do some more research on the def files.
BlackBloodRum

#9 Post by BlackBloodRum » 09 Dec 2020 16:26

Great :D I'm glad you got it working. And yup, every new object you add to the game will require a def file to go with it. They're simple enough, so I'm sure you'll understand them quickly :).

Couple of notes:
- Root object is the main object that contains your model (So has the pieces inside etc)
- Prefab locator - Mostly to do with adding objects to map - tbh I've never used this, so I'm not entirely sure. But you won't need it for trucks
- Model locator - These are your slots/nodes - They can go inside a root object. If you put them inside the truck object, they are grey nodes - put them inside the bumpers root object, they are addon nodes (slots, red) - Although, any/all addon nodes must be named slot_(number, name) so, slot_0 for example. They can also be used to configure flares for lights etc.
- Collision locator - these control collisions - pretty self explanatory

Hope this helps :)

ARez

#10 Post by ARez » 09 Dec 2020 16:42

Thank you for all your help!

Return to “Blender Tools”