How to achieve more space in SCS maps

bb_notleast

How to achieve more space in SCS maps

#1 Post by bb_notleast » 25 Nov 2020 15:21

Besides driving around, I love expanding the map. I am always frustrated by the limitation of map space due to the 1:19 scale. There is usually too little space on the map for your own ideas. Today I had an idea how SCS could remove this limitation.

Do you all know the concept of the wormhole in astronomy and science fiction? According to this theory, a wormhole leads to another galaxy or dimension...

Imagine, in addition to the ETS2 item "Dead-end", there is also an item "Wormhole". If the player truck approaches a wormhole item, ETS2 loads the map mod associated with this item in the background. If the user truck drives into the dead-end road, an autosave is initiated, the main map data remains in stand-by and the software works on and with the mod data -- and the truck continues driving in the map mod. This can be a village or a district that is not in the main map. You could call it a "Map-Spot-Mod". Maybe just a single sector...

To get back to the main map, the truck has to drive through the wormhole again. If the user truck drives over the wormhole item, the ETS2 engine switches back to the main map and the Map Spot is removed from memory.

The benefit: You could build "your" village / district or something else that you would like to be in the map and add it to the map. The resulting Map Spot mods could be offered just like truck mods via the usual channels. Anyone who wants to use such a mod needs the map editor - or at least a light version - to convert a dead-end item into a wormhole item and thus link it to the mod.

The map editor would be upgraded to a DLC. (For example, I would like to pay something for the editor if it were a more user friendly product.)

Bernd

Nerdboy193829

Re: How to achieve more space in SCS maps

#2 Post by Nerdboy193829 » 22 Dec 2020 18:00

This idea is definitely unique...
It's a good concept, But I'm not sure on how it'll play out

Reinhard

#3 Post by Reinhard » 22 Dec 2020 18:56

bb_notleast wrote:
25 Nov 2020 15:21
Besides driving around, I love expanding the map. I am always frustrated by the limitation of map space due to the 1:19 scale. There is usually too little space on the map for your own ideas. Today I had an idea how SCS could remove this limitation.
1:19 is for sure not a limitation of the map editor. You can change that. There are 1:1 map mods out there.

BTW, this 1:19 is more a time calculation scale than a real map scale. The editor knows only true meters. 1:19 is only used in the "settings" window. And of course for the scale of the background map. How this resonates in definition files of the base, and accordingly in their counterparts of 1:1 map mods, I don't know, I never bothered. I'm okay with 1:19.

If you want to know how 1:1 maps works, download one and try to analyze the definition files. Or simply ask, maybe somebody who learned this the hard way is in the mood to share the basic knowledge.

Wormholes? The base of ETS 2 and ATS success is built on casually driving in a simulated world. Many people, including me, would regard such thing as an immersion killer.

Editor DLC? As explained, not required. But even if it was: Do you really assume SCS would develop a special editor variant, not used by themselves, for maybe an audience of a few dozens of people? Or even less?

NotABurnerAccount

#4 Post by NotABurnerAccount » 23 Dec 2020 16:58

The general idea, looking at gaming in general, is certainly not new. The idea isn't terribly different from The Legend of Zelda with the Overworld and the dungeons, and since that time, hundreds of games have incorporated the idea of a world within a world.

I think the idea that you're getting at is the ability to come up on a large city like Paris in the main-map, and then transport into a big city, like for example, a Paris-only kind of world that's on a 1:1, or at least something thats less than a 1:19. But I do see this as disruptive to the overall game experience. When passing through a city like Paris between point A and point B, it would be quite cumbersome to half to spend a significant amount of time in the Paris 'world' every single time you pass through. Interrupting the game play with a load screen on each end also lessens the immersive experience.

bb_notleast

#5 Post by bb_notleast » 23 Dec 2020 22:13

1:19 is for sure not a limitation of the map editor. You can change that. There are 1:1 map mods out there.
I know that. I don't want 1:1 maps, and I don't want a world within a world. An 1:1 map of europe is impossible, even an 1:1 germany map would be impossible. I think the 1:19 concept "is definitely unique" (thanks Nerdboy193829), and the implementation is awesome. But it also causes the space restriction. My wormhole idea could be a compromise between compression and space issues.
Wormholes ... as an immersion killer.
For me the many dead-ends are the immersion killers. Imagine, instead of the ugly "XXXXXX"'s you see a more subtle item und you can go on, and after a short delay you are driving through a village or a district for which there was no space in the standard map.

Ok, the delay, that should be the crux of the matter. I mean, I would accept about 1 second or until at most 2 seconds. Only the SCS programmers will know if that is possible.
...SCS would develop a special editor variant...
No special map editor. But the built-in one could be more comfortable and should have a (better) documentation, etc. This extra work costs time and money, someone has to pay for it.

bb_notleast

#6 Post by bb_notleast » 29 Dec 2020 11:39

To get back to the main map, the truck has to drive through the wormhole again.
Maybe it doesn't have to be the same one your truck drove through. If the transition to a Map-Spot-Mod is possible (that is, if SCS can do it), then it should also be possible to return to the main map via another wormhole item. Prerequisite, the wormhole item was integrated geographically consistent.

This should have been developed as a structural principle for the map from the start. In the main map mainly the highways and expressways. At the exits a wormhole leads into the city, which was built in its own sector. Thus you would have a multi-dimensional structure.

Well, none of the SCS people commented, maybe not even read it. Maybe the program structure of the ETS2 and ATS engines do not provide this concept. But maybe others will find this idea and develop a multi-dimensional structure right from the start.
For example, I am still missing a train simulator with an extensive network of routes on a compressed scale. Here too would be interesting: The routes in the main map, the train stations in a separate sector in a different dimension.

bb

Bobble2020

#7 Post by Bobble2020 » 07 Feb 2021 12:02

Personally for me i would hate going into wormholes , with a loading screen each time .
Time already slows down when we are in the cities .
The thing is currently ScS have made it like this so it doesnt lagg the heck out of your computer every time you are in a busy area etc . While i would like to see the big cities being more built up and the distinct landmarks visible like the Eiffel Tower or the dartford river crossing on the M25 in the Uk , i enjoy how the game works just now .

Stefan E.

#8 Post by Stefan E. » 19 Feb 2021 21:49

You have a very good idea. It has also been implemented in some mobile truck games so that they can be optimized better. Since ETS2 uses a different rendering system than Unity3D (1500m max vs unlimited meters max), this "wormhole" would not optimise the game as on Android.
But, when it comes to mapping space, I totally agree it.
On Unity you can have how much space you want, while on 1:19 you are very limited.
Also if SCS would make less wider scenery, there would be even more space for mappers.
Your ideea has a +1 but I really don't know how they can implement this in Prism3D.
Passionate about computers, filming and motorcycles.

xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 19 Feb 2021 21:56

Prism3D has no limit, you can create a 1:1 map and make it as big as you want as long as you cut the map properly so it only renders what is needed around the player and not the whole map
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Return to “Public research”