Freightliner Trucks Discussion Thread

Robinicus

Re: Freightliner Trucks Discussion Thread

#3431 Post by Robinicus » 06 Jan 2021 17:45

The main reason for shortening up as tight as possible is fuel economy; there is easily 1/10 mpg available for free by doing this. It is pretty rare that you have to slide the 5th wheel to be legal for weight unless the truck was speced for the wrong pin offset or if the trailer was loaded improperly.
SmokeyWolf

#3432 Post by SmokeyWolf » 06 Jan 2021 18:15

Once you get 12k on the steers and 34k with 80,00lbs you leave the 5th wheel where it is at. Also fuel load makes a difference too.

There is rare isntances when you must slide it back such as pulling a step deck, flatbed, or container for mud flap clearance.
HagenXXV

#3433 Post by HagenXXV » 07 Jan 2021 00:50

supersobes wrote: 06 Jan 2021 17:23 In real-life, the Freightliner Cascadia has an air-controlled sliding fifth wheel. The driver can adjust the fifth wheel position to suit their needs, whether that be the swing depth clearance of the trailer (allowing enough space so that the trailer won't hit the back of the cab when turning), weight distribution of the load (changing the amount of weight the trailer is putting on the drive axles versus the trailer axles), minimizing road spray from the drive axles, etc.
What a good video, it takes away all the doubts I had, except one, will be that this functionality of the fifth wheel will be added to the truck in the game in the near future? it would be AWESOME. :o
Last edited by supersobes on 07 Jan 2021 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed video from quote [Forum rule 2.13]
supersobes
Global moderator

#3434 Post by supersobes » 07 Jan 2021 02:05

I hope SCS adds fifth wheel sliding to ATS someday. That and sliding tandems would be very cool features to have in the game.
harishw8r

#3435 Post by harishw8r » 07 Jan 2021 03:09

Yeah, I’m looking for a reason to use those paid weighing scales in game. Implementing a proper weight distribution algorithm into the game would be great.

But IMO, all weight distribution related features should come with the ability to control the amount of pallets, and if this happens, multiple pickup/drop should also be a possibility.
SuchManor

#3436 Post by SuchManor » 07 Jan 2021 04:45

I would like the ability to open and close the trailer tails using the trailer adjustment menu as well.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
flight50

#3437 Post by flight50 » 07 Jan 2021 05:00

harishw8r wrote: 07 Jan 2021 03:09 Yeah, I’m looking for a reason to use those paid weighing scales in game. Implementing a proper weight distribution algorithm into the game would be great.

But IMO, all weight distribution related features should come with the ability to control the amount of pallets, and if this happens, multiple pickup/drop should also be a possibility.
This is exactly what I've been saying ever sense sliding tandems came. Scales and weigh stations are pointless currently. Without user pallet input, nothing depicts real life truck in regards to weight distribution. This allows ties into multi drop imo.
howey

#3438 Post by howey » 07 Jan 2021 05:06

supersobes wrote: 07 Jan 2021 02:05 I hope SCS adds fifth wheel sliding to ATS someday. That and sliding tandems would be very cool features to have in the game.
To add to that same with proper airbag suspension features when coupling & uncoupling trailer (there already half way there with raising/lowering midlift steers & tag lift axles), also if they do sliding tandems like you say might as well have more realistic function of the air lock pins on extendable trailer's i.e container, flatbed, lowboy etc.

With weights and scales i've always said on how far you want to go with it. Some scales go with groups, others individually, then you have you overall gross in correlation of axles weights. Plus weight distribution like you said especially on light loads where vehicle behaviour and characteristics will react on how you distribute the weight and many other weight scenario's that can factor into it. Don't get me wrong i'm all for the feature have been since it started discussion but for me i either have it a realistic as possible or just leave it as is. Though i do agree that multi-drops do tie into this as well as i hope splitting LCV combo's if necessary when loading and unloading at some companies.
CatDieselPower

#3439 Post by CatDieselPower » 12 Jan 2021 17:28

supersobes wrote: 06 Jan 2021 17:23 In real-life, the Freightliner Cascadia has an air-controlled sliding fifth wheel.
Most tractors do at this point, but I don't think anybody has them standard. Typically there is a choice of models and brands like Holland or Jost and fixed position or air slide. Unless it's standard now I'd say more Cascadias would have fixed than other trucks since most Cascadias are fleet trucks that pull the same type trailers.
Back after a period of absence originating from the death of my main PC.

Real life trucker gang.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3440 Post by supersobes » 12 Jan 2021 17:38

We know that the particular model of the Freightliner Cascadia that is in ATS has a sliding fifth wheel because it has the fifth wheel slide switch on the dashboard.

Return to “General discussion about the game”