Was there ever a mission about physically carrying a animal?

The Hand

Was there ever a mission about physically carrying a animal?

#1 Post by The Hand » 10 Jan 2022 11:17

Heya, I think im just misremembering, but I had a dream about a mission in which you are behind a skunk, you shoot it, and you carry it 50 yards south. I dont know if this is in the base game, but i think the challenge was in tier 10-11.
Also, it is in HU2010.
By "carry it 50 yards south" I mean you PHYSICALLY had to pick it up and carry it. Also you would drop weapons to carry it easier, I think.
So, help me out, if this is a figment of my imagination or its real.
EDIT: Aight, first off, i think i was tripping. My thoughts the hours before that night i had the dream were WILD. I wasnt on dope at all that time, but it felt like it.
Last edited by The Hand on 02 Jul 2022 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Higashikata Josuke! I, Okuyasu Nijimura will erase you using The Hand!
EibeAxxt

Re: Was there ever a mission about physically carrying a animal?

#2 Post by EibeAxxt » 10 Jan 2022 16:51

Sadly, that mission doesn't exist. Even if it did, you can't bag/kill a skunk (since it doesn't exist in the game!)

But it's still a cool concept.
The Hand

#3 Post by The Hand » 10 Jan 2022 19:25

EibeAxxt wrote: 10 Jan 2022 16:51 Sadly, that mission doesn't exist. Even if it did, you can't bag/kill a skunk (since it doesn't exist in the game!)

But it's still a cool concept.
Well, thats a bummer. But I think in the future, if SCS revive the franchise, the modding community is going to EXPLODE, and we might be able to see user missions like this.
Higashikata Josuke! I, Okuyasu Nijimura will erase you using The Hand!
NmanMETA

#4 Post by NmanMETA » 16 Jan 2022 00:22

There was never such a mission, at least, not in HU10.

It IS rather intriguing you bring this mechanic up, as the game does have ambient animals that spawn naturally in hunts, these being the vulture/eagle things you see populating the sky every few minutes. What's interesting is, though a few are in use in 2010, there are a select few of these ambient animals in the game's files not in use. This includes a red fox, a wolf, there's a duck and a woodpecker, and even a trout and bass. And included with those that went unused in 2010 is, indeed, a skunk ambient animal.

I'm unaware of any mechanic where you drop a weapon to carry one of these animals, you *can* shoot them but, as far as I know, you cannot pick them up in 2009 or 2010's version of the game.

That may sound discouraging, but make sure you're not thinking of one of the original versions of the game. HU 1-4, as far as I can recall/tell, had minigames, and you might be remembering one of these. If you can, give those games a look because a fair few features present in those earlier games ended up removed by the time HU 2008/9/10 all came a long. I myself haven't played those installments, but I know those games (while they share most core elements), are superficially very different. I find it entirely possible a mission like that may exist and just not have made the cut for 2010.

As for a continuation, I sincerely doubt SCS ever makes another Hunting Unlimited game. The last one they worked on was 2010, which came out over 12 years ago and the only addition they made to it from 2009 was the Wild Turkey and, if anything else, maybe a few weapons and changes to the mission creation suite; even through the final 3 installments of the games they had a hand in, they weren't changing all that much and to me, that's a sign of them not knowing what more they can do. The UI in those years went virtually untouched, the game missions weren't changed at all save for a couple added ones from year-to-year, to me it looked like they thought they couldn't take that formula any further.

In 2010, a company called ARB made Hunting Unlimited 2011 and basically the only similarity was in name; it's not the worst game ever or anything but to those who have played it, you'll know that the games are almost entirely different. You're way more restricted in 2011, graphically it's improved but you now had to unlock maps and weapons, in a game where most of the appeal was the fact that you could just go out and do whatever crazy hunt you wanted. ARB went for more of a simulation aspect, as opposed to the chaotic/open approach SCS took, and when it failed, neither group ever tried to rekindle the flame. My guess is that ARB Studios still holds the Hunting Unlimited brand rights or something like that, in which case, SCS couldn't continue the series, but as far as I can see ARB doesn't even exist anymore. Their website's most recent games posted are from 2012 and 2011, the site itself looks ancient, and it says they were partnered with THQ/Valusoft which pretty well confirms that this is the same ARB behind HU2011. By the time they must have fizzled out, SCS just... wasn't interested I suppose.

The most recent mention of their presence was a Pintrest page from 2015, ARB seemed to specialize far better with mobile games and, well, HU11 certainly was set up like one. And as 2013, 14, 15 rolled along, my guess is that SCS felt the damage to Hunting Unlimited as a brand had already been done, it was a game they clearly already wanted to not be a part of, and THQ had nowhere to go with it. SCS had the trucking games, which they were far better known for by now. For them, splitting their attention probably wasn't in their best interest. I feel like as modders, the HU story (at this point, unless a lot changes) is in our hands.
WE'RE *THIS* CLOSE!

Return to “Hunting Unlimited Series”