Questions for the american truckers

bobgrey1997

Re: Questions for the american truckers

#21 Post by bobgrey1997 » 15 Jan 2022 19:48

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 15 Jan 2022 11:02 there is no difference if you have no signs or 4 stop signs, in both cases first come, first drive, if more then 1 comes, car to the right has right of way, if all 4 have a car waiting communicate who drives first and go from there, so no much sense behind placing signs somewhere where already rules exist how to behave, these kind of places exist many times in Germany without any signs to indicate what to do
The flay to your point here is in the last sentence: Germany.
You say there is no sense in placing signs where rules already exist, and that is true. However, in the US, if there is no sign, there is no rule. That's the rule.
We have no right of way in the US, that simply doesn't exist. Instead, we have the lack of right of way. While the end result is the same, the legality behind it and how we handle it in our signs is different.
No one ever has right of way in the US, but road markings and signage tell you when you are not permitted to move or act how you plan to (in other countries, this would effectively be saying you do not have right of way). A stop signs tells you to stop because you are not permitted to enter the junction until certain conditions are met, or in other words "you do not have right of way to enter junction".
If no stop sign is present in any approach, everyone is free to enter the junction at will regardless of other entering traffic. No one is prohibited from the right of way, even if common sense says they should be.
The stop signs create the rules at that intersection because no rules exist there otherwise.
It may be confusing to someone from an area with few or no stop signs, but it's not senseless simply because your area developed a different set of rules. It might be senseless in Germany, but not in the US.

That said, I honestly wish we went the route of many European countries in replacing most of our stop signs with yields signs. If I can see the other approaches well in advance and can see no other traffic is approaching, I should be able to cruise through the intersection without a loss of speed or time. I know this is unlikely to happen because people are idiots with short attention spans and shouldn't be driving, but are driving anyway, so they would plow through the same intersection without bothering to check and watch the other approaches.
Underscore_101_ wrote: 15 Jan 2022 16:34 @Madkine, when traffic from all directions get the stop sign there is no indication to who has right of way (assuming all roads are equal), if at a 4 way intersection 4 cars approach it at the same time, who has right of way?
If 4 vehicles approach at the same time, their intended direction determines who goes first. Anyone turning right goes first, followed by straight, then left.
If they are all going straight, it comes down to one of them decided they are first before anyone else does (or signals given to communicate who can go first), then it goes clockwise from there (the right-most vehicle goes first, similar to naval navigation). If the car in the approach to your right went first, you are next. If the car from your left went first, the one directly across from you is next, then the one to your right, then you.
This situation if very rare, however.
xXCARL1992Xx

#22 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 15 Jan 2022 20:02

https://www.defensivedriving.org/dmv-ha ... ht-of-way/

uhm ofc the US doesnt, this rule is pretty much universal in every country of the world (except left lane drive i think) even if the country didnt sign the Vienna convention (wich the US didnt)
Last edited by xXCARL1992Xx on 15 Jan 2022 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
natvander
SCS Software

#23 Post by natvander » 15 Jan 2022 20:46

bobgrey1997 wrote: 15 Jan 2022 19:48
The flay to your point here is in the last sentence: Germany.
You say there is no sense in placing signs where rules already exist, and that is true. However, in the US, if there is no sign, there is no rule. That's the rule.
We have no right of way in the US, that simply doesn't exist. Instead, we have the lack of right of way. While the end result is the same, the legality behind it and how we handle it in our signs is different.
No one ever has right of way in the US, but road markings and signage tell you when you are not permitted to move or act how you plan to (in other countries, this would effectively be saying you do not have right of way). A stop signs tells you to stop because you are not permitted to enter the junction until certain conditions are met, or in other words "you do not have right of way to enter junction".
If no stop sign is present in any approach, everyone is free to enter the junction at will regardless of other entering traffic. No one is prohibited from the right of way, even if common sense says they should be.
The stop signs create the rules at that intersection because no rules exist there otherwise.
It may be confusing to someone from an area with few or no stop signs, but it's not senseless simply because your area developed a different set of rules. It might be senseless in Germany, but not in the US.

That said, I honestly wish we went the route of many European countries in replacing most of our stop signs with yields signs. If I can see the other approaches well in advance and can see no other traffic is approaching, I should be able to cruise through the intersection without a loss of speed or time. I know this is unlikely to happen because people are idiots with short attention spans and shouldn't be driving, but are driving anyway, so they would plow through the same intersection without bothering to check and watch the other approaches.
That’s not quite true - or not quite complete might be a better way to put it. The ‘right of way’ rule actually states when and who must yield their right of way (regardless of signs and signals). Apart from the obvious (pedestrian at marked crossing, at yield/stop sign or signal etc) what applies here is ‘yield at uncontrolled intersections where vehicles are already in the intersection’, ‘at 'T' intersections where you must yield to vehicles on the through road’ and ‘when turning left in which case you must yield to oncoming pedestrians, cars, etc’. You get the idea. Does the AI follow these ‘rules’? Well… I guess we can answer that by asking if real people do the same :D
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
bobgrey1997

#24 Post by bobgrey1997 » 17 Jan 2022 00:02

What applies "here"? Does "here" refer to Australia?
Underscore_101_

#25 Post by Underscore_101_ » 17 Jan 2022 03:58

I got curious and looked something up, the below is taken from here:
https://www.justice4you.com/blog/califo ... f-way.html

INTERSECTIONS
When two vehicles reach an intersection at the same time, the vehicle on the right has the right of way and should be allowed to go first. However, there are exceptions, including:

THREE-WAY INTERSECTION
A three-way intersection exists when one road ends at another and creates a “T” shape. Motorists traveling on the road that has a stop sign must remain stopped until all vehicles have passed through the intersection. If no sign is present, vehicles on the through road have the right of way, and motorists traveling on the road that ends must stop.
bobgrey1997

#26 Post by bobgrey1997 » 17 Jan 2022 04:57

I've never understood the "through road" thing.
I know it means the road that is represented by the top of the "T", but this in not always the through road.
I used to live in a town that had a main road which formed a kind of stair step pattern through town. At 2 intersections, it formed a T, but the through road turned at it so it was represented by half of the top of the T as well as the leg of it.
Simply saying "through road" is not truly the correct phrase, so it can be misleading at times.
That said, the only intersections I have seen with this kind of layout were designed as sign-controled intersections, though one of those in the above-mentioned town was not controlled as the sign fell down and was not replaced.

Here is one of those intersections. The markings here make it pretty clear what road is the through road, but this road would still be the through road without any markings.
[ external image ]
natvander
SCS Software

#27 Post by natvander » 17 Jan 2022 07:29

bobgrey1997 wrote: 17 Jan 2022 00:02 What applies "here"? Does "here" refer to Australia?
All 50 states.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
GT182

#28 Post by GT182 » 10 May 2022 01:25

At night the speed limit for trucks is lower in Texas and some other States out West. Which ones are lower IRL I can't remember? I mostly ran Texas a lot and it burnt my buns. The way cars are driven out there it's a wonder you don't see cars rear ending trailers more at night.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
GT182

#29 Post by GT182 » 06 Jun 2022 01:29

Another thing is flasher use if you are climbing a hill and your speed drops to 40mph and below, you must use your 4-way flashers. And yes, if a cop sees you not using them you can and probably will get a ticket. Many highways all across the USA and Canada have such a lane for "slow" trucks, with a sign stating 4-way flashers must be used Under 40mph. Why it's not in ATS is beyond me.

Engine brakes can have 3 stages. 1 is low and 3 is the highest to slow the truck down. I've seen where the jake brake comes on by stepping on a separate pedal. Or on when you lift your foot off the accelerator. Which can be a pain as it can actually stall out the engine when you shift gears.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
GinXeng

#30 Post by GinXeng » 15 Jul 2022 07:31

Is it really 40mph? That seems really high, maybe its different here, here in cali I know its not 40mph, its much lower but cant remember exactly, I think its like 20 or 25mph.

Return to “Frequently Asked Question”