10th anniversary of ETS2

Trucker Nik

Re: 10th anniversary of ETS2

#41 Post by Trucker Nik » 06 Oct 2021 16:45

At least you had fun :D
GamePro1337

ETS2 10th Anniversary

#42 Post by GamePro1337 » 13 Jan 2022 07:35

It's hard to believe, but ETS2 is turning 10 this year. I can say that I'm still not bored of this game. I'd like to hear what other players think about the game's first 10 years. Also, feel free to speculate about what SCS might do to commemorate this milestone.
Aziz

#43 Post by Aziz » 13 Jan 2022 11:35

A video compiling the evolution and WoTr event where players have to work to receive a paintjob/cabin item. Wohoo.
Trucker Nik

#44 Post by Trucker Nik » 13 Jan 2022 15:10

We will definitely get a special stream that day and it would be great if SCS completed the longest possible shipment in that stream after it is available HoR and I hope we get irritating new images for the new map extension for 2024
Double M

#45 Post by Double M » 19 Jan 2022 18:50

@GamePro1337 I agree with you, I never get tired of both games, I don't know what they have but the only thing I can say is that I love them.
It happens to me like The Simpsons, that I have seen almost all the episodes many times and I never get tired of seeing the same episodes over and over again.

It would be fantastic as a way to celebrate the tenth anniversary to get the seasons of the year. But I think that as a way to celebrate the 10th anniversary, SCS could surprise us with the release of ets2 and ats on console. It is a goal they have been working on for years. And I think for them along with the convoy mode, it's another great achievement that they look forward to achieving.
JoeAlex23

#46 Post by JoeAlex23 » 19 Jan 2022 20:04

@Double M Where do you get that they "have been working on for years on a console version of ETS2/ATS" from? The only thing related to consoles that SCS has ever talked about is that they WOULD like to do it, but that requires finding a whole different team to take care of that and they don't want to deal with that for now, SCS still has A LOT of things to worry about on both games before even considering releasing the games on consoles, that it could come at some point? Maybe, but there's ZERO indication about them working on that right now, the closest thing to ETS2/ATS being on "console" this year is the Steam Deck, but that's about it.
Some newbie driver

#47 Post by Some newbie driver » 19 Jan 2022 20:47

They ARE working on it now, they had been recruiting people for that project since quite time. But most importantly: all the changes they are doing in the core parts of the engine (the sound, the DX, the lighting...). All of this is to have a truly modern engine that could sustain the game for another decade. And if they would be doing all of that work thinking only in computers not in consoles they would be plainly stupid. Something they are not.

Point is, as consoles do need those changes to be done (no way the mono-core old architecture we play on now could be ported successfully to consoles); we are going to see thosse improvements in PC before than any console port will be released. But they are working with that objective in mind, you can bet on it.

Just an example: The 1.40 lighting change included the internal render process to be done in HDR. That's something that still today is completely out of scope of 99% of players of ALL games, even triple A. It's something barely starting to arrive to "mainstream" buzz with Windows 11 auto-HDR feature. And even so, only the highest budget computers consider it (Does it hurt current GPU prices? Check if you dare prices of real HDR capable monitors. OUCH!). But SCS already worked to include that basic brick in the code one year ago; even if the game doesn't allow HDR output in any way (and probably still not in quite a time).

They did it because their schedule is based on long term run and resource optimization. If they want in the future to be HDR capable and 1 year ago they were touching a part of the code involved on that possibility; they prepared it already to avoid having to do double work two, three or four years later. And in long term run, they had know for years its good for them to include consoles in their scope and for sure works had been started on this direction.

And returning to the multiple anniversaries this year; I always supposed that a good milestone would be some really interesting feature to be added into the game. For quite a time I though it could had been MP; but was not. Maybe we could have the long awaited WoT overhaul/full deployment that was discussed so much time ago?

Regards

PS: Of course, they also could kill us all with an announcement of a crossover of the goat simulator over the SCS game world maps. :lol:
Double M

#48 Post by Double M » 20 Jan 2022 16:04

@JoeAlex23 In the blog that they released on December 8 and 9, 2021 talking about the features of the ets2 and ats update 1.43 when they talk about that they have improved driver support. In the point called "Improved Controller Support" they say the following sentence: This also paves the way for future platforms which utilize similar controls. https://blog.scssoft.com/search?q=1.43

And also in a video from the year 2018 in which the YouTube gaming channel Squirrel interviews the CEO of the company Pavel Šebor. And they talk about various issues including the console version.
https://youtu.be/CFUNPChAUqs?t=1432
What is talked about in the video about the console version has been summed up very well in the previous comment @Some newbie driver
JoeAlex23

#49 Post by JoeAlex23 » 21 Jan 2022 03:07

@Some newbie driver I know they are working with that objective in mind and they are doing a lot of improvements to the game engine towards that goal of porting the games to consoles and make it better on PC, i agree with everything you said about all the changes the game engine needs to go through, but my point was, there's no indication that SCS already has a team dedicated to working on a console version or that they have been working on it "for years" as that other guy said, that's just pure speculation, they might have a few people doing the right research to reach that but that doesn't count as working strictly on that "for years", that's all i wanted to say.

@Double M That interview says exactly what i said with different words and more elaboration, but it's basically the same, they want to do it right but before that a lot of changes need to happen to the games before them being confident on dedicating full time resources to do the console version, they are working on improving the game engine with that in mind but that doesn't mean they have been working on a console version "for years" as you said, that's pure speculation on your side.

And about the "Improved Controller Support", that's clearly for the Steam Deck that will be released in the next coming months, they have a dev kit and they want the games to work good on that, that's why the improvements, but that doesn't confirm a "console" version is coming as soon as you think.
Chay

#50 Post by Chay » 25 Jan 2022 20:13

As I appreciate all the hard work done into new maps and areas in both game what I feel is really lacking is their investment into new mechanics and updating the core of the game. Or SCS communication on those matters.

Here we have 10 yrs anniversary soon, and not even an announcement for transition to game version that can use more than one CPU physical cores. It's 2022 for f..s sake. Players spend fortune on gaming rigs and then can't even utilize it fully in ETS 2. Lack of better engine shows, as game starts to look more and more dated, despite their best efforts to make it nice graphically.

And what about making roads less perfect and more true to real life conditions?? We have seat cam movement in game already, yet 99% of the roads are perfect flat surfaces? Why? In reality your seat in truck moves almost all the time, so why not make roads that mimic this and trigger the seat cam to move. Instead in ETS 2 it is as if you're driving on perfect glass road. This kills the huge potential immersion. Thank god for some map mods that at least try to fix this.

So yeah happy anniversary from my side too, but as an owner of all dlc's up to and RttBS included, and as welcome as new maps are, I'm not spending one more euro on SCS games until they give clear road map to game engine and mechanic improvements.

Return to “General discussion about the game”