Louisiana Discussion Thread

TitleMax

Re: Louisiana Discussion Thread

#71 Post by TitleMax » 06 Jan 2022 02:53

I hope we'll be able to see Jackson Square from the other side of the Mississippi or maybe even Crescent City Connection if they decide to make the Ponchartrain Express Way near Downtown Accessable.

Since 18 Wheelers ain't allowed in the French Quarter it's close enough.
Just some random guy
flight50

#72 Post by flight50 » 06 Jan 2022 13:42

I doubt Jackson Square makes it. The closet we get is I-10 running Northwest of it. Across the Mississippi the best chance to see it would be if we get US-90 bus. Even then, its probably won't be high res if its shown at that distance. The most important things to have off the Mississippi is industry. The Mississippi is so windy coming thru Southern Louisiana that it could be a tad bit tricky to map. But I see some good industry along it on both sides that hopefully we get. Several refineries, Railyard, port, Sugar plant and a few other industries that I'd have to dig into to find out what they do.

French Quarters might be closed to trucks in real life, but not necessarily in ATS. If SCS wants to exploit it, they can just like the National Park roads they put in the game. We don't need a booth to tell us there is a fine coming if we ignore such rules. I know ProMods Canada fines us for crossing a bridge that we are not suppose to. But virtual violations is fun and games. Separate real life from reality. Some people want realism in this game....just don't go on those routes if you know in real life you can't. But for others that want to explore and if SCS provides it, to each is own. Go for it.
TitleMax

#73 Post by TitleMax » 06 Jan 2022 17:21

I think it's possible to see if they add Bus 90 and Crescent City Connection which would open up some Oil Storage Facilities in Marrero (Which because of size can be where Gretna is)

From what I've seen with Galveston, a bunch of landmarks far off from eachother bunched up in a street or two, I think something as moderate as that could be pulled off
Just some random guy
flight50

#74 Post by flight50 » 09 Jan 2022 20:51

I gave New Orleans a good look just now once you said Oil Storage to see how US-90 bus can play into things. I was worried about industry along it but looking deeper, its very feasible. Things are a little interesting in NO road wise but I think SCS could make it another good city. The below sketch is something I can see or would like to see. There is a lot of industry for New Orleans. More than I cared to see at quick glance. I don't expect all the below to come but I think a solid 10-12 depots are possible. New Orleans is no LA, Houston or top 20 city by any means. Town center is nicely tucked away off US-90 and I-10. Easy to pull off. Buttt one thing I think SCS should do is omit the section of I-10 between US-90 and I-610. Its a very small part and normally I'd say don't break up any interstate, but I-610 makes more sense to keep it straight and parallel to the Mississippi and avoid the unnecessary space eater connections. The I-10 @ US-90 will be big enough as is. That avoids the triangle and creates space for town center and US-90 bridge over the Mississippi. That portion of road is less than 5 miles long anyways. Not long at all at 1:20 scale.

The below is just pointing out some industry that I'd like to see. Things are nicely spread out in NO. Not shown completely, but I'd like to see LA-23 pick up some industry off US-90 if we don't get it elsewhere on the Northside. It can continue South along the Mississippi to pick up some there maybe. Phillips 66 Refinery or Chevron Oronite.

[ external image ]
EthanE40

#75 Post by EthanE40 » 15 Jan 2022 20:23

flight50 wrote: 06 Jan 2022 13:42 I doubt Jackson Square makes it. The closet we get is I-10 running Northwest of it. Across the Mississippi the best chance to see it would be if we get US-90 bus. Even then, its probably won't be high res if its shown at that distance. The most important things to have off the Mississippi is industry. The Mississippi is so windy coming thru Southern Louisiana that it could be a tad bit tricky to map. But I see some good industry along it on both sides that hopefully we get. Several refineries, Railyard, port, Sugar plant and a few other industries that I'd have to dig into to find out what they do.

French Quarters might be closed to trucks in real life, but not necessarily in ATS. If SCS wants to exploit it, they can just like the National Park roads they put in the game. We don't need a booth to tell us there is a fine coming if we ignore such rules. I know ProMods Canada fines us for crossing a bridge that we are not suppose to. But virtual violations is fun and games. Separate real life from reality. Some people want realism in this game....just don't go on those routes if you know in real life you can't. But for others that want to explore and if SCS provides it, to each is own. Go for it.
At the very least we see glimpses of the roofs of the French Quarter buildings from I-10, as well as the roof of the St. Louis Cathedral.
TitleMax

#76 Post by TitleMax » 20 Jan 2022 22:19

flight50 wrote: 09 Jan 2022 20:51 I gave New Orleans a good look just now once you said Oil Storage to see how US-90 bus can play into things. I was worried about industry along it but looking deeper, its very feasible. Things are a little interesting in NO road wise but I think SCS could make it another good city. The below sketch is something I can see or would like to see. There is a lot of industry for New Orleans. More than I cared to see at quick glance. I don't expect all the below to come but I think a solid 10-12 depots are possible. New Orleans is no LA, Houston or top 20 city by any means. Town center is nicely tucked away off US-90 and I-10. Easy to pull off. Buttt one thing I think SCS should do is omit the section of I-10 between US-90 and I-610. Its a very small part and normally I'd say don't break up any interstate, but I-610 makes more sense to keep it straight and parallel to the Mississippi and avoid the unnecessary space eater connections. The I-10 @ US-90 will be big enough as is. That avoids the triangle and creates space for town center and US-90 bridge over the Mississippi. That portion of road is less than 5 miles long anyways. Not long at all at 1:20 scale.

The below is just pointing out some industry that I'd like to see. Things are nicely spread out in NO. Not shown completely, but I'd like to see LA-23 pick up some industry off US-90 if we don't get it elsewhere on the Northside. It can continue South along the Mississippi to pick up some there maybe. Phillips 66 Refinery or Chevron Oronite.

[ external image ]
Yeahhhh, The Big Easy can bring a lot to the table
Just some random guy
Ryley03d

#77 Post by Ryley03d » 07 Feb 2022 03:30

Lafayette is a lesser-known city, but it will for sure be marked in game because it's a major cross-country intersection city
flight50

#78 Post by flight50 » 07 Feb 2022 05:43

^Depends on who you are. Lafayette isn't lesser know to a person that knows Louisiana. Its easily a marked city and many people's eyes, mine included. Its the city where the I-10 @ I-49 interchange happens. That can't be ignored. Its a city with a population of 246k. I'd say that is very unlikely to be a scenic town. That's considered a mid sized city in ATS terms.
oldmanclippy

#79 Post by oldmanclippy » 07 Feb 2022 14:36

As someone who has never been to Louisiana, I would rank my "familiarity" with cities in the order New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette. Turns out Shreveport is more populous than Lafayette, which highlights its importance even more.

I know population doesn't matter and yadayadayada, but Lafayette is more populous than Amarillo even, and that's one of the more important Texas cities outside the big 6.

Perhaps most relevant is its important location where I-10 meets the southern terminus of I-49.

For cities, I think we can expect the following:

Sure things:
New Orleans
Baton Rouge
Lafayette
Shreveport

Good chance:
Lake Charles
Monroe
Alexandria

Possibly:
Natchitoches
Houma
Port Fourchon
Ruston

Long shots:
Boothville-Venice
Slidell
Hammond
Morgan City

For a total of 8-10 marked cities. I'd go for the sure things, the good chances, along with Natchitoches and Port Fourchon for 9 marked cities. Like my map I posted back in September: https://i.imgur.com/3yGrvTk.png
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#80 Post by flight50 » 07 Feb 2022 15:14

I would say those top 4 are the most known by far plus Lake Charles. So 5 for me are the most popular. I see those by far a mistake if they are missing from the ranks of not being marked.

The ones in the long shot category can get absorbed by the closest large city.

Return to “General discussion about the game”