Cabins too dark / brightness settings

McFly

Cabins too dark / brightness settings

#1 Post by McFly » 22 Jan 2022 00:51

So I havent been playing ATS in over 3 years and finally got back into it two weeks ago. While I love all the new stuff they added and improved, I have some problems with the new lighting system.
Night drives and truck cabins are WAY too dark - and night, I cant see anything that isnt directly touched by light and in my trucks, I cant tell where the dashboard and steering wheel end and start. In some trucks I can barely see the passanger seat - And I'm talking about daytime and sunshine here.
I played around with the brightness settings and have set them pretty high now - interiors got a bit better while everything outside is not too extremely bright, but I'm not really happy with this setting. Brighter parts like some of the pavements, signs or sand are very bright now, so bright that its hard to see the actual texture while the inside of the truck is still pretty dark, but at least I can see the gauges. If I move the camera so I'm looking more at the dashboard and less at the road, the lighting adjusts and I can see the textures of the cabin while everything outside becomes extremely bright.
The Mack Anthem (my new favourite truck) is the worst offender here wich is why I'll be using it as an example here, but the problem occurs in any truck.
Is there any fix? Any way to get the interior brighter or the effect of the adjusting brightness any weaker? I have tried tweaking my settings but nothing helped, so maybe theres something in some of the config files that might help?
Attachments
Dashboard is still dark but sort of visible, while everything outside is overly bright
Dashboard is still dark but sort of visible, while everything outside is overly bright
Texture of the sandy road barely visible
Texture of the sandy road barely visible
20220122003907_1.jpg
20220122003901_1.jpg
My World of Trucks Page

English is not my first language, just trying my best.
bobgrey1997

Re: Cabins too dark / brightness settings

#2 Post by bobgrey1997 » 22 Jan 2022 01:54

Nights are realistically dark, and the interiors are quite close to reality as well. The only issue I see is the steering wheel, and I think that is more about color than brightness.
McFly

#3 Post by McFly » 22 Jan 2022 09:54

How is it realistic if the interior is near pitch black in broad daylight? That doesnt make any sense

As for nights yes, in the middle of the desert in nevada its pretty much pitch black (although depending on the weather it might not be as bad) but in citys it shouldnt be that dark.
But I already got used to skipping nights and only driving during daytime, so my main problem is the lighting inside the truck. Interiors were the main selling point when I bought trucks as thats what I'm looking at the most. Now it doesnt matter cause its all dark and near black anyway

//EDIT
I just played around in the settings again and it seems the lighting in the cabin is fine if shadows are completely turned off. So I'm guessing the issue is sort of "shadows are too dark" maybe? Anyway turning shadows off is not a solution for me.
My World of Trucks Page

English is not my first language, just trying my best.
bobgrey1997

#4 Post by bobgrey1997 » 22 Jan 2022 15:37

Your first image shows it pretty clearly. The panel on the passenger side is gray and is very visible. The only parts that "nearly pitch black" are the parts that are, by design, black. Truck interiors in reality are also dark, which I assume is also by design to prevent possible distractions.
They are a bit darker in-game, but not much darker.
As for cities being dark, this is also realistic. Most of what we see in cities in-game are industrial parks, which don't usually have much lighting. Likewise, according to the MUTCD, the only sections of highways that need lighting is ramp merges, so most highways are also unlit. This makes night driving a very dark task, and the gake represents that very well.
If your issue is lit areas being dark, there is an option in settings for light visibility ranges. Setting this to its highest will allow you to see street lights from further away.
TexasWhirlwind

#5 Post by TexasWhirlwind » 22 Jan 2022 16:34

I agree that is to dark for daytime. In the day you should be able to see the floor and pedals. But you can not. Way to dark.. The color has been screwed up ever sense they with and change to this supposedly better graphs model. I don't it is better. It made the game a mess in the play mode.
-.- -.-. ..... -- ...- ...-
xXCARL1992Xx

#6 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 22 Jan 2022 16:38

thats the "eye" adaption, but in this case auto exposure like on a digital camera, so because the outside is so bright the inside is darker, it is too dark, it should be brighter for sure, because details are always visible and not shrouded in black

the cab has enough bright materials inside that refract the light to make it brighter, if it would be an all black interior, ok, but not when you have bright colors in it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
bobgrey1997

#7 Post by bobgrey1997 » 22 Jan 2022 16:42

That is why I think this is more about the colors. The colors are too black, not enough gray.
xXCARL1992Xx

#8 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 22 Jan 2022 16:45

there is nothing about the colors, the cab has enough bright materials in it to be bright, the whole inside is to dark because the camera tries to hard to do auto exposure because of the over bright environment, typical behaviour of a camera, the human eye wouldnt do it this hardcore because it can adapt
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Ankam

#9 Post by Ankam » 30 Dec 2022 23:25

Yes. It is indeed way to dark inside. I have no idea on how to change it. I would also love to drive with the Mack, but i am so annoyed, i had to change the truck. It is clearly visivle in your screenshots. You can't even see your passenger seat ...
And yes, it came with the lighning update some years ago.
ilovevolvo

#10 Post by ilovevolvo » 03 Jul 2023 12:41

this is still an issue that needs resolving. there is basically no ambient light coming in the interior at all. other games have a specific setting for ambient light for that very reason. im sure we all have been inside a vehicle.. any vehicle. they are quite bright inside, even with tint (which this games trucks do not have by default)

it was not like that before. seems to be an issue with their new lighting but i cannot speak of exact patch it became like this

if this is due to the game using camera lens method to show driver viewpoint that is just incredibly flawed. flight sims going back 20 years had this figured out since day 1..... and they have 100x more complex camera and lighting systems
when potholes and winter?

Return to “Technical Problems”