East Coast Speculation Thread

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: East Coast Speculation Thread

#181 Post by supersobes » 24 Jan 2022 23:04

I agree. I'd rather see Newark Liberty over JFK in ATS. It just makes more sense from a freight logistics standpoint. Newark Liberty has the connections to the container ports at Port Newark and Port Elizabeth. If there's space, maybe they could add both airports.

Speaking of Newark, I saw a YouTube video not too long ago where a truck driver delivered to the Port Authority of NY & NJ. They delivered machinery to the maintenance building for the Holland Tunnel, which carriers Interstate 78 under the Hudson River. The machinery was on a lowboy trailer, and it was for cleaning the walls and ceiling of the tunnel. Something that could be interesting in the northeast corridor would be an infrastructure maintenance industry and its associated set of cargoes. We could deliver to places like the Holland Tunnel, New Jersey Turnpike Authority, Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, etc.
flight50

#182 Post by flight50 » 25 Jan 2022 01:56

@VTXcnME I agree as I've said the same a few times. Crossing a bridge is the best way imo to change scale. Several didn't agree but its not their thought. It was might. A worm hole makes no sense to me. I'd rather see a bridge act like a ferry to transition with a black screen. Speed maintained and scale changed. I was actually hoping this could happen at the Mississippi though. It should happen much sooner in my opinion. I think ATS could be split in to portions just like UK and the rest of ETS2. There needs to be black out transition.
dkasper00 wrote: 24 Jan 2022 20:19 @flight50 Newark Liberty Airport sees more freight than JFK.
That may be the case but I'm thinking about it from a spread out approach. There are 3 airports in that area and only one area with a port as huge as Newark. I wish to not skip on the port itself. Its a much better truck friendly industry for ATS. With 3 airports, choose a different airport that works better. The airports are not 1:1 as is so I don't see the issue with JFK. Airports take up a huge amount of space and Newark at 1:20 scale will be limited. I don't see us getting 2 airports so close together and I don't see us getting the ports and the airport in Jersey. That's duplicating too much industry in one spot. SCS can give us La Guardia instead if JFK isn't a better choice for cargo. But for me, I say no to Newark's airport. I don't know the area as you locals but I'm using logic here to spread around industry. I don't see any port worthy in NY as huge as the one in Newark. East of I-95 is limited with Newark Bay. I think Port St parallels I-78 well and Corbin St parallels the ports very very well in a tight spot. The airport should show up but not be accessible. We only need it for authenticity. I'd rather access the ports than the airport if there are 2 others in NY that can come to cover that area for air cargo.

Perhaps Baltimore or DC can get the next closest airport. For me, I'd spread out industry as much as I can without a doubt. NY has ports but they are not as glorified as Newark's. The crown jewel port seems to be Newark's. Newark can't house everything so spread industry around is my thinking.
dkasper00

#183 Post by dkasper00 » 25 Jan 2022 02:04

Trust me, Newark works better JFK is a royal pain.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
flight50

#184 Post by flight50 » 25 Jan 2022 02:21

So no Newark port? Both airport and sea port will not fit in Newark. I'd hound SCS for sure with that decision, I promise you I will. I'd rather not see any airport in the area than to skip on the Newark ports. All three ports are about the size of JFK. We only get the cargo portions of airports so less space with an airport. Seaport are a lot more beneficial to ATS than airports. There is a ton more variety of cargo that goes thru seaports than airports. We don't have UPS nor FedEx. Now I'd love to see Posted be a deliverable company to take care of packages. That brings airports up a notch for sure. But it still doesn't triumph seaports for me. Seaports can host cars, grains, metals, produce, frozen food, equipment, machinery, livestock, oil/gas....there's just too much that can happen with seaports as vessels can transport a lot more than an aircraft can.
Last edited by flight50 on 25 Jan 2022 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
supersobes
Global moderator

#185 Post by supersobes » 25 Jan 2022 02:41

Port Newark is a must. It's the busiest container port on the east coast. It's also historically significant to the development of the modern shipping container.
Tristman

#186 Post by Tristman » 25 Jan 2022 08:49

I’d actually like to challenge them and bring both the airport and harbor in Newark. Maybe some other stuff will have to be moved or discarded in favor of Newark, but they should really try to make it work.

If there really is no way, fine, but it seems like a real opportunity to make something amazing.
dkasper00

#187 Post by dkasper00 » 25 Jan 2022 09:06

Both port of Newark and Newark Liberty can make it. They are close one another, but not on top of each of each other. It could be setup similarly like Denver Airport with Colorado, you can only see the passenger terminals in the distance. On Interstate 78 you can only see a tiny little bit of Newark Liberty. Canse se a bit more of the passenger terminal on I95. Plus aside from a hotel and a brewery there isn't anything around that section that would make a good prefab.

Only been through that area a ton in my 40 some years.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
flight50

#188 Post by flight50 » 25 Jan 2022 18:16

If SCS can make it happen, cool beans. But if not, something gets cut. The East is tight.
clifflandmark

#189 Post by clifflandmark » 26 Jan 2022 01:23

Whatever scale they choose, they need to build a denser traffic system first.

I can't say no for a loading screen, if it's useful.Its better if it's the only way to not omit significant parts.
dmilligan1998

#190 Post by dmilligan1998 » 26 Jan 2022 19:10

clifflandmark wrote: 26 Jan 2022 01:23 Whatever scale they choose, they need to build a denser traffic system first.

I can't say no for a loading screen, if it's useful.Its better if it's the only way to not omit significant parts.
Agreed

Return to “General discussion about the game”