Recording Feature, The Ability to Record Driving A Truck, Then later viewing in any Camera View

Would you use a built in-game Recording System

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 9

Brendan0620

Recording Feature, The Ability to Record Driving A Truck, Then later viewing in any Camera View

#1 Post by Brendan0620 » 26 Jan 2022 22:30

I know there are several ways to record yourself driving a truck, whether it's through a studio software like OBS or using a desktop screencam. But what this thread is about is completely different from that.

I think a feature, where you can record yourself in-game, then being able to later view the footage in-game while being able to change truck views, minus a few like freecam, would be awesome. Sometimes I like to go back and watch my driving recordings, but sometimes I want to move my camera(s) around and view the scenery, which I can't do with traditional recording software that is not built into the game.

Now, I don't know if this is possible or not due to limitations with the game engine, but one older game that I used to play, Nascar Racing 2003 Season (NR2003), had a feature where you could record a clip of racing and then later view that clip with all the camera views.

There could be several limiting factors, like say if one is using mods, wants to record, and then a new version comes out, and his mods are broken and therefore, he can't view it anymore.

But I want to know your thoughts on a Recording feature in-game. Would you use it? do you think it's not worth it? I have a poll you can answer with.
[ external image ]
Intel Core i7 13700F -> MSI GeForce RTX 4060TI 16GB -> 32GB RAM -> Y40 Case
What is your Favorite Interstate in American Truck Simulator?
Albedo

Re: Recording Feature, The Ability to Record Driving A Truck, Then later viewing in any Camera View

#2 Post by Albedo » 27 Jan 2022 02:31

This sounds really simple at first, but when you think about it, it becomes quite complicated.

Lets start with the basic principal. Recording your journey from A to B, Simple - it's just a case of recording (saving) the trucks coordinates as you travel across the map, save it as a basic text file and it's ready to be replayed via an ingame menu.
Ok, now lets add the AI, we also need the coordinates for all of the AI vehicles you come across during the said journey.
Then there's the traffic lights, the text file will also have to include them as well (don't want the AI running reds and hitting your truck)
Toll Booths would also have to be included oh and the Border check ones as well.
Gas stations, Rest stops, Pick up and Departure points for your journey, extra trailers and other none AI based vehicles that are just randomly parked up across the map, any detours that might have been set at the beginning, random road events and even the weather.

NR2003 was just an oval track with about 40 other cars all travelling in the same direction. The replay system we want would need to accurately record all the above information (and probably more because I didn't include trains, trams, crossings and ferries). As you can tell, our text file is now getting quite big lol.

I suppose one simple way round that (especially if your not too bothered about the AI being present in the replay) would be to just use the text file that was recorded from your original delivery journey and completly get rid of the AI (gonna look a bit funny when your sat two truck lengths behind a red light though. It would also have to somehow automate the toll booth and border control points as you probably wouldn't want to do that yourself whilst watching the replay.

One final idea that was playing around my head whilst typing all this out, and is probably the easiest one to impliment would be to just have a short replay interval (anywhere say from 30 seconds to 5 minutes). You could hit a button on your keyboard or controller and it would start recording, you'd be able to check out those landmarks you missed and you'd also be able review your trailer parking skills.

I know I downplayed the idea a lot, but I really do like it and I hope that somehow SCS Software can make it work someday. For now, we'll just have to stick to recording our journeys on our recording software. Either that or the devs bring in some form of lane assist function but that's a topic for another day *ducks from angry virtual truckers*
Optional Features

Re: Recording Feature, The Ability to Record Driving A Truck, Then later viewing in any Camera View

#3 Post by Optional Features » 27 Jan 2022 02:34

Brendan0620 wrote: 26 Jan 2022 22:30 I know there are several ways to record yourself driving a truck, whether it's through a studio software like OBS or using a desktop screencam. But what this thread is about is completely different from that.

I think a feature, where you can record yourself in-game, then being able to later view the footage in-game while being able to change truck views, minus a few like freecam, would be awesome. Sometimes I like to go back and watch my driving recordings, but sometimes I want to move my camera(s) around and view the scenery, which I can't do with traditional recording software that is not built into the game.

Now, I don't know if this is possible or not due to limitations with the game engine, but one older game that I used to play, Nascar Racing 2003 Season (NR2003), had a feature where you could record a clip of racing and then later view that clip with all the camera views.

There could be several limiting factors, like say if one is using mods, wants to record, and then a new version comes out, and his mods are broken and therefore, he can't view it anymore.

But I want to know your thoughts on a Recording feature in-game. Would you use it? do you think it's not worth it? I have a poll you can answer with.
It's impossible to get good screenshots in convoy mode without stopping in the road: recording clips would make life so much easier.
_Roger_

#4 Post by _Roger_ » 28 Jan 2022 05:48

A dashcam type mode where the game constantly records from the interior/bumper view straight on would things like timelapse journeys far simpiler, wouldn't have to worry about brushing against your mouse with your arm runining the whole thing, or being unable to check blindspots when turning. Would only be far simpiler and actually useful.
rbsanford

#5 Post by rbsanford » 28 Jan 2022 17:41

That dashcam camera could also hide the Route Advisor, mirrors, and any text that shows up on the screen (like the city discovery messages and save wheels).

As for the recording feature, GTA V has this and it works pretty well. You can get some pretty nice screenshots and footage with it. So this feature isn't impossible in an open-world game with a lot of AI and other players.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Some newbie driver

#6 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Jan 2022 21:43

Albedo wrote: 27 Jan 2022 02:31This sounds really simple at first, but when you think about it, it becomes quite complicated.
And you missed the most important caveat about that kind of "replay logs" saves to be seen later: further updates of the game might made them obsolete.

At least we had the option to downgrade our installation to replay it on a proper version; though pretty annoying and time consuming on the long run.

Regards
xXCARL1992Xx

#7 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 28 Jan 2022 21:50

you would have to re-record the "video" you take in the game again just so you have a usable video because the way how it is described it is impossible to save as a video, i learned it the hard way with Project Cars2, where i though i could save my replay and then watch it later outside of the game or even upload it, well, i though, but all the game gave me was a proprietary file that no player on the world can open, why ? because it was only a file that stored information in it that the game then can use to "replay" the race (or drive in this case) in real time where you can change perspective, AI, weather, time etc.

so basically you would have to record the replay and then sit again and do a screen capture with the changes you like, like different camera angle, time, weather etc.
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”