Trailer and cargo masses.

GT182

Re: Trailer and cargo masses.

#131 Post by GT182 » 22 Oct 2021 18:05

That chart is all well and fine.... partially. What you actually need is the total Gross Vehicle Weight that includes the truck and fuel weight too, along with the trailer's weight and weight of what you are hauling.

Trailer weight is given, but it does not give the weight of the brand and model of the truck you are driving. That is needed to give you the Gross weight.... of truck, fuel, and load weight you are hauling in the trailer. Not all trucks weigh the same... not counting fuel in the tanks. Western Star trucks are heavier with their steel cab than a Kenworth or Peterbilt with aluminum cabs. Older Mack and Brockway trucks also had steel cabs.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
SkyD911

#132 Post by SkyD911 » 20 Jan 2022 23:05

Hi All, very newbie here :)
I just bought an Iveco Stralis. Do you know what is the maximum cargo I can take? I see many offers but they look very heavy…
Thanks
JulianCursor330

#133 Post by JulianCursor330 » 21 Jan 2022 23:14

GT182 wrote: 11 Jun 2021 14:38 Actually SCS should be giving loads where the truck, with fuel, should only total 80,000 GVW. And yes, fuel is figured in with GVWR. Less fuel means you can haul more product in the load. Many times I'd start out with only half of my total fuel capacity. Anything over that needs an overweight permit. If caught at the scales one pound over 80,000 lbs you get a ticket if there's no permit. That's the way it is in the USA. Been there done that many times over the years hauling freight and produce. You load and scale your rig before leaving for the trip. If it totals more than 80,000 you take off some of what your hauling to get legal.

Also moving the trailer tandems and 5th wheel will help distribute the load for each axle's weight limit...... 12,000, 34,000, and 34,000 for a 5 axle rig.
Found here if you want to look at it. And for each State to. https://www.bing.com/search?q=axle+weig ... 7e575e20c9
This only enforces the ausence of realism that scs has in their hands
Too much lil-chit chat, too much steering wheels, branded cargos, photoshoot points or decorative mugs for the cabin but not even a single groundbreaking gameplay addition
Infinite trucking elements could be added
It looks like a simulation but it isnt, at least, for now
GT182

#134 Post by GT182 » 27 Jan 2022 23:55

Julian, I'm afraid it will never be a Simulation. Same for ATS. But at least ETS 2 is far better with updates so you can easily continue on after they've been "automatically downloaded". Yeah, no choice on that for either one. And it can really mess up ATS with mods.

But at least either one keeps me in the "driver's seat", and I can see a part of the world from home I'd never get to see in real life. ;)
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
alluke

#135 Post by alluke » 20 Mar 2022 11:16

In Finland the max. weight is
  • 36t for 4 axles
  • 44t for 5 axles
  • 53t for 6 axles
  • 60t for 7 axles
  • 64t for 8 axles
Don't know elsewhere in Europe.

At cargo market there's currently no increase in cargo capacity if you add 4th axle to the trailer.
Last edited by alluke on 15 Nov 2022 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
cristianrpbeijo

#136 Post by cristianrpbeijo » 24 Apr 2022 15:02

Hello! I have a doubt and i think one of you guys could help me. In europe, is there any restriction related to the amount of tractor axles with the weight and axles of the semi-trailer and if it is articulated or not? I found a lot of quick jobs and all the tractors were 4x2, and the trailers were articulated and weighed 36 tons some of them. Shouldn't they be 6x2/6x4? Can I pull a 6-axle b-train/double trailer with a 4x2 tractor?
dahaka

#137 Post by dahaka » 25 Apr 2022 00:31

It's not simple. The law dictates how much your gross weight is, and how much each individual axle can weigh. Double wheeled axles have a max weight limit of 11,5-15 tons, depending on country. Single wheeled axles can have a weight of 10 tons. Gross vehicle weight is 40 tons in most countries, 44 in some of them. As long as you dont exceed the maximum gross weight of your vehicle, and dont exceed the maximum load limit of any of your vehicle axles, you are fine. For example, if the trailer weighs a total of 32 tons, and theres around 7,5 tons on each of its 3 axles, then you can haul it with a 4x2. If the trailer is loaded unevenly, and there is only 4 tons on each of the 3 axles, then that would mean there is now 20 tons divided between the axles of the tractor, most of that weight is carried by the driven axle though. In this case, you need a 3 axle truck (6x6, 6x4, 6x2), as to not exceed the 11,5 tons axle weight limit on the driven axle.

B doubles and doubles are generally quite safe to operate with a 4x2, as its made of 2 trailers, and each have a bunch of axles to devide the weight they carry. Keep in mind that in real life, the way you load your cargo can have a huge impact on your axle weights. We often load 2 or 3 rows of just a single pallete in the front of the trailer, and load doubles vertically, or triples horizontally in the back, so to not put too much weight on the front axle. This is currently not simulated in the game.
cristianrpbeijo

#138 Post by cristianrpbeijo » 25 Apr 2022 11:51

good explanation!
alluke

#139 Post by alluke » 15 Oct 2022 22:33

Can 3 axle truck + 3 axle trailer carry as much cargo as 2 axle truck + 2+2 axle B-double? Both have same amount of wheels.
Some newbie driver

#140 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Oct 2022 08:06

Nope

The regular trailer will be limited by law to the 40/44t of the country whether their axles allow it for more (we are talking of regular haulage, of course 6x2/6x4 are used on heavy haulage with the appropriate permissions). The B-Double will either be limited to the same amount (as Germany does, making them useful only for lightweight high volume cargoes) or the B-Double will be allowed to carry more cargo (like on Spain or Finland, for example) up to the limits of their axle layout.

As @dahaka said, the game doesn't simulate the load distribution. Or to be more precise, it assumes it's always perfectly evenly distributed. But the game (ETS2) also doesn't consider the weight of the tractor. Because the loads we take are always the same wether we are using the most basic and lightweight 4x2 or a full equipped 8x4 nonsense. If ETS2 would have weight stations as ATS does we will have to pick our loads more carefully as soon we will not be using a regular 4x2.

Regards

Return to “General discussion about the game”