Georgia Discussion Thread

TitleMax

Georgia Discussion Thread

#1 Post by TitleMax » 29 Jan 2022 05:50

As we head east, my mind wonders more and more about the Southern States.

Contrary to others, I believe that Georgia would be our first frontier to the Atlantic rather than Florida (Probably would come right after).

Welcome to the Peach State. Venture deep into Georgia's natural wonders, to the height of urban adventures, through charming small towns, from Atlanta to Savannah, Haul through some of the South's most iconic cities. Pamper yourself with Serenity in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It’s all peachy!

Here's a little Messy Spaghetti Map I slapped together for now:
Attachments
Picsart_22-01-28_22-38-28-165.jpg
Just some random guy
rbsanford

Re: Georgia Discussion Thread

#2 Post by rbsanford » 29 Jan 2022 06:55

I think that map is a little too full. For reference, the entirety of Georgia can fit inside Arizona. The only cities you've included that I don't think will be marked are Brunswick, Tifton, Dalton, Milledgeville, and Dahlonega.

Industry-wise, in addition to peaches, Georgia is also famous for its sweet Vidalia onions. There's also the Coca-Cola plant in Atlanta, which also has a very significant airport, so Georgia should have quite a bit to offer.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#3 Post by flight50 » 29 Jan 2022 07:03

Its definitely too dense. But I'd keep Dalton. It's the carpet capital of the world. Carpet should be a part of the game. It affects Home Store, Wallbert, exporting, rail stations, Olton Homes and a few other in the future.
TitleMax

#4 Post by TitleMax » 29 Jan 2022 07:28

Yeah, I did go a little overboard with it...
Just some random guy
flight50

#5 Post by flight50 » 29 Jan 2022 14:48

Also, I''d keep Brunswick and ditch Rome. Rome is boogered up with roads that may not even make the game. Its a compact area that SCS would probably avoid. But I do think SCS should perhaps link I-59 and I-75 together with something other than just I-20. That could make Rome scenic but I wouldn't go marked. But I see a vacant hole coming with I-59,I-75 and I-20. We have plenty of that in the West but the West doesn't have the ease of tree walls and cutplanes to make the same density in roads.

Brunswick has several car ports off the East River along with a nice GP pulp and paper facility. It right off I-95. Its 78 miles from Savanah so it will definitely fit. It kind of between Savannah and Jacksonville. SCS can cheat Savannah North a tad too. Savannah definitely isn't going anywhere though. The ports there off the Savannah River are a must. There is Imperial Sugar there. That can be a copy from the new one coming in Montana. It to has a paper mill but if more industry is available (which it is) give paper to Brunswick and Savannah brings something else. If we get industry off the river, I see GA-17 making the game and that brings lots of warehouse options.
Xaagon

#6 Post by Xaagon » 29 Jan 2022 18:51

As an eastern state, Georgia is a lot more dense than most of the areas covered by ATS so far. You could argue that parts of California are as dense as the eastern states, but those are in the part of the map with plans to be completely reworked.

After Texas releases we'll see what kind of density SCS is going to give us east of I-35. I think that would give us the best clue as to how dense states like Georgia will be mapped.
flight50

#7 Post by flight50 » 29 Jan 2022 21:19

Agreed. East of 35 is definitely when things start getting interesting. Louisiana might be that first test. If they play their cards right, I think we'll get a lot more US and state roads than what we think we'll get.
supersobes
Global moderator

#8 Post by supersobes » 30 Jan 2022 01:38

One of the things I'm looking forward to is seeing how SCS does Atlanta due to how spread out the city is. Atlanta has that dense urban core right in the downtown area, and then it just has an absolutely massive rings of suburbs in all directions around it. Looking at the satellite map below, you can see that the entire area is suburbanized with a dense road network. While there are plenty of places to deliver to inside the I-285 ring (trucks are not allowed inside the ring unless they have a destination located there), there are also a lot of commercial and industrial places spread out through the suburbs. You have major suburbs that are quite far away from the city center such as Marietta, Alpharetta, and Sandy Springs. I'm hoping to see some places to deliver to in the north suburbs along the US-19, I-75. and I-85 corridors. I absolutely love these types of spread out cities like this because they tend to be very car-centric with lots of interesting roads and highways. Atlanta is one of those cities, and because of that, I'm really looking forward to having it in the game.

[ external image ]
J. Ritter

#9 Post by J. Ritter » 30 Jan 2022 02:38

I definitely think there will be a lot represented just west of the perimeter in Atlanta, off Fulton Industrial Blvd. Tons and tons of warehouses through there, and a terrible Petro close by, haha. Atlanta proper, I feel there are good opportunities in the southwest area for more heavy industrial depots, and of course, the airport. Definitely should have a Home Store prefab or two- Home Depot's corporate headquarters are in Vinings, on the NW side of town. Tons of railyards. There are also lots of logistics terminals and tech industry in the northeast toward Gwinett County and Lawrenceville And yes, there needs to be some sprawl. It is a spread out place.

As for the hole between 20/75/59, this is one of the few times I feel confident enough to say I am an expert. I grew up in that corner, I went to school in Alabama just below that corner, I currently live in the top part of that corner, haha. I think if you are coming north from Atlanta, using Cartersville and Rome as scenic towns, you would exit 75 at GA 20, take it west briefly before it become concurrent with US 411, and take it across to Gadsden to connect with 59. US 231 north out of Anniston, AL 77 north out of Lincoln, or US 27 out of Bremen could connect from I-20. These are all important regional routes. Anything much north of 411 in Gadsden, you have to contend with Lookout Mountain (which is actually a long plateau) and the ridge-and-valley region going west from 75. There are plenty of truck routes through there and over those ridges, but to me it wouldn't make much sense in the scale of the game.

In the southernmost parts, I would definitely say Albany and Valdosta have their place. South GA is a lot more sparse and agricultural. While it is the peach state, Georgia is the #1 producer of pecans in the USA. There are magnificent groves with huge trees that line the sides of the interstate when you are headed to Florida. Georgia also produces a lot of peanuts, and maybe we can get some onion loads out of one of the larger South GA cities as a nod to Vidalia.

@flight50 already touched on the pulp mills, and there are indeed some large ones along the GA coast, as well as along the Chattahoochee river on the western border. If not farms and pecan groves, it's miles of arrow-straight rows of pines in flat lots for miles and miles in S. GA.

And yes, Dalton has the carpet, and is a hub for the flooring industry in general. A lot of opportunity for plastic pellet loads (to extrude into synthetic yarn or to make backing/landscaping cloth), tubes for rollers, dyes, wood for flooring, and of course carpet and flooring outbound.

If Rome were to be included, there is a large paper mill on the Coosa just west of town in a community called, oddly enough, Coosa. Haha. The railroads call it Krannert Jct. Though Rome is a decent enough size to point out in real life, I don't know that it won't be sacrificed to the 1:20 gods, either, though. Back in the day it would have been a tougher miss, when there was also a large GE transformer plant and the Celanese Rayon plant.

There is a large Kia plant in West Point.

There is a lot more I can consider and bring up, but this is a start with what I got, haha.
fra_ba

#10 Post by fra_ba » 30 Jan 2022 05:56

Do we actually need the ring road? It just takes so much space alone. Beside, inclusion of all interchanges between the ring and I20, I75 and I85 are also necessary.

Return to “General discussion about the game”