Does AT Behavior Bother Anyone Else?

Zaxster99

Does AT Behavior Bother Anyone Else?

#1 Post by Zaxster99 » 19 May 2022 15:39

As much as I love ATS and ETS 2, the way automatic transmissions are handled has always bothered me. It seems the game only shifts based on RPM, not throttle input or engine load.

Yes, I am aware of the "adaptive automatic transmission" option, but that seems to focus on kickdowns, not up shifts.

In this video here, you can see the truck is short shifting, because there doesn't seem to be too big of a load on the engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Qq7Ku ... heAutoPage

If I'm bob tailing or pulling a light load and giving the truck barely any throttle, it should easily be able to shift before 1500 RPM, like in real life. Same goes for the Allison transmissions. Beamng Drive has this simulated fairly well, so SCS should be able to simulate this as well.
DoubleG01

Re: Does AT Behavior Bother Anyone Else?

#2 Post by DoubleG01 » 19 May 2022 21:11

Honestly the automated transmissions in game behave very oddly to me - I specc'ed a Cascadia with one and tried having the adaptive transmission options set to economy thinking it would shift at lower RPMs and not rev up so much - but a lot of times regardless of load weight / throttle input, etc., the engine is revving to well near 2,000 rpm before shifting. In the mean time I've been using the shift hint keybind to help it figure it out but I've never seen any of the automated transmissions I've driven in real life get quite so high in revs unless you're 80k and stomping the throttle and even then they usually shifted by 17-1800. I'm starting to wonder if it is something with the real automatic option vs the actual transmissions as I have the same issues with modded vs stock transmissions. I guess for the time being I'll go back to my manual because the automated just revs way too high for my liking.
Viper28

#3 Post by Viper28 » 20 May 2022 01:36

always sounded weird in their shifting patterns to me, however, with the smart sequential feature now, the truck sounds a bit more realistic in it shift sequences. Thanks SCS for that.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Zaxster99

#4 Post by Zaxster99 » 20 May 2022 01:53

DoubleG01 wrote: 19 May 2022 21:11 Honestly the automated transmissions in game behave very oddly to me - I specc'ed a Cascadia with one and tried having the adaptive transmission options set to economy thinking it would shift at lower RPMs and not rev up so much - but a lot of times regardless of load weight / throttle input, etc., the engine is revving to well near 2,000 rpm before shifting. In the mean time I've been using the shift hint keybind to help it figure it out but I've never seen any of the automated transmissions I've driven in real life get quite so high in revs unless you're 80k and stomping the throttle and even then they usually shifted by 17-1800. I'm starting to wonder if it is something with the real automatic option vs the actual transmissions as I have the same issues with modded vs stock transmissions. I guess for the time being I'll go back to my manual because the automated just revs way too high for my liking.
Are you using Kriechbaum sounds? I know he edits the engines to shift higher, not sure why he does that.
Viper28

#5 Post by Viper28 » 20 May 2022 03:19

Zaxster99 wrote: 20 May 2022 01:53
DoubleG01 wrote: 19 May 2022 21:11 Honestly the automated transmissions in game behave very oddly to me - I specc'ed a Cascadia with one and tried having the adaptive transmission options set to economy thinking it would shift at lower RPMs and not rev up so much - but a lot of times regardless of load weight / throttle input, etc., the engine is revving to well near 2,000 rpm before shifting. In the mean time I've been using the shift hint keybind to help it figure it out but I've never seen any of the automated transmissions I've driven in real life get quite so high in revs unless you're 80k and stomping the throttle and even then they usually shifted by 17-1800. I'm starting to wonder if it is something with the real automatic option vs the actual transmissions as I have the same issues with modded vs stock transmissions. I guess for the time being I'll go back to my manual because the automated just revs way too high for my liking.
Are you using Kriechbaum sounds? I know he edits the engines to shift higher, not sure why he does that.
if he does, it's probably to really flesh out the deep roar of some of the more husky engine sounds, as opposed to quicker, low rpm shifting.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Sara

#6 Post by Sara » 20 May 2022 13:06

Viper28 wrote: 20 May 2022 01:36 always sounded weird in their shifting patterns to me, however, with the smart sequential feature now, the truck sounds a bit more realistic in it shift sequences. Thanks SCS for that.
I still haven't tested that feature. And this is coming from someone who doesn't use any transmission mods. Wondering how it actually works though
VTXcnME

#7 Post by VTXcnME » 21 May 2022 20:45

I was never impressed with the AT. I ended up buying a shifter topper with range, splitter, and engine brake buttons. I run Eaton-Fuller 18spd now. Much improved.

Return to “General discussion about the game”