Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

pigbrother

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2571 Post by pigbrother » 22 May 2022 14:17

Well, it’s just easy to be demaning and ask other people to work for free ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have approximate knowledge of many things
supersobes
Global moderator

#2572 Post by supersobes » 22 May 2022 20:12

SCS has rescaled the map in the past, so it certainly is a possible thing to do. When ATS first released, it was a 1:35 scale. They then later enlarged it a 1:20. But at the time, there were only three states in the game. If they were to do it again, the amount of work be astronomical and probably take several years. It would be impractical to consider another rescale this far into the game's development.
Marcello Julio

#2573 Post by Marcello Julio » 22 May 2022 20:18

^
That's exactly the point. A Rescale Is possible? Yes, but at the time that SCS made it, we only had 3 states and it was the beginning of ATS and it was still possible due to the size of the map. Nowadays with all the states already released (and in the future Montana and Texas), the work of a Rescale would be an absurd amount of time and this would take a giant pause of the map DLCs. If there are people who complain that currently the release flow of states is 'slow', then imagine, possibly 2 or 3 years without any state being released. This would further delay the completion of the United States. In short, doing a Rescale now would be impractical like supersobes said.
angrybirdseller

#2574 Post by angrybirdseller » 22 May 2022 21:29

It was easier to do early on in 2016 the map as very small. No way they will touch 1:20 scale look at Texas been worked on since 2018. California rework coming along well there already over 700 miles of decent roads along I-5 starts Sacramento northward in 2020 it was at state line in Oregon.
Shiva

#2575 Post by Shiva » 22 May 2022 21:36

Gradual stretching, the more they get east, could be theoretically done.
Stretching, but not changing time scale. Using cities and 1:3 zones to hide the stretch.
Maine / Florida, longer distance than in current background map.
Current Max zoom might be able to hide it when looking at ingame map.
But for me, 1:20 would be ok. Not easy, but ok.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
harishw8r

#2576 Post by harishw8r » 23 May 2022 01:34

Quoting from the rescale blog article:
we can either accept things as they are and continue building the world as is, or we can take a step back and change things before it's too late. It's either now or never, as the more of the world we build, the less likely we are going to be able to make major changes.
The only solution is to make the scale dynamic. But whether such a thing is possible is beyond my knowledge.
AlexxxF1

#2577 Post by AlexxxF1 » 23 May 2022 06:58

For example I don't mind scaling up the game. the question is whether this is the most important thing for us, or is there something more important.

Gotta face the truth. for six whole years we have only 30% of the USA. and this is at the scale of the construction of the map in 1:20.
on a scale of 1:17 multiply this time by two (12 years and only 30% of the USA)
on a scale of 1:17 we would have only 5 states at the moment. instead of 10.

there wouldn't be that diversity on the map. we would have the same roads that we have today. they would just be within 5 states.
instead of 15 years, in which we can get at least the entire USA in ATS, we will get the entire USA in only after 30 years - to 2046 year.
But many would like to travel from Coast to Coast during their lifetime :D .

It's much easier to imagine that when we get the whole map of the USA, Coast to Coast, it's three times the current map (with 10 states) and and will acquire a scale of 1:10 in comparison with the current map (current 10 state territory vs future 48 state territory).

If some afraid for the East Coast, and that some cities will be excluded. That will be the case in any case, with any changed scale. in ETS2 with 1:19 scale we don't even have whole countries like Monaco, Liechtenstein or Andorra. And this is not some kind of catastrophe or the end of the world for fans of ETS2. The larger the main map, the less noticeable that it is on a small scale.

Secondly, so that the roads are not monotonous and boring, it is necessary to increase the number of unique objects made by hand. the smaller the scale, the more objects should be.
if you try to compare with MFS2020, then you are at a great distance from objects and there are hundreds of them on the screen. so the game does not seem so monotonous. But it won't work in ATS. here all the objects along the entire road are point-blank right in front of your eyes. and repetition immediately catches the eye.

Even at a scale of 1:20, I would like to get the entire USA map in ATS in 10 years. by 2026. but I understand that this is unrealistic. and I will in 15 years. And even that is not realistic at all too :lol: .

A smaller scale like 1:10 (because 1:15 will also begin to displease many, as today 1:20 after 1:35 does not suit someone :D ).
Scale 1:10 seems to me to work better after 10 years in ATS 2, with new technologies, with new graphics, and most importantly, when the SCS will have 5-10 times more people than it has today. yes then it will work.
and do not forget then that the price of DLС will be 3-4 times higher than the current prices for DLС. because they will be bigger))

When someone suggests changing the scale from East to West, leaving the scale from South to North untouched, then what kind of map will it be in the end? a complete mess for me.
when some DLC maps are in one scale 1:20, and other DLC in another 1:15, then it will work if you do not leave the limits of these DLC and drive only inside them. If you travel from Coast to Coast, then in this case, with such a map, it will be a complete mess.

Even on a 1:20 scale, the trip from Coast to Coast would take over 4 hours. And that suits me just fine.
And it will easily allow you to wait for ATS2. with a different scale, a different graphic style, with other technologies available at that time. And when the SCS studio will be 5-10 times bigger, which will allow them to release these huge DLCs very quickly.

:shock: one Texas for us in 1:20 scale SCS has been made for more than 3 years, and this is essentially one small Kansas in 1:15 scale :D .
Yes, everyone always wants the best, and they will always not be satisfied with everything in this life) but you have to face the truth) to get at least what is available in the best possible way.

:arrow: And I advocate more realism in games. Any arcade gets bored very quickly. In contrast, the more difficult the game, the more interesting it is.
over the past 20 years, dozens of rally simulators have been released. but I still play Richard Burns Rally (2004).
even despite the outdated graphics, the physics of driving and its sensations, so far not a single rally has been able to not only surpass, even come close. It's simply impossible to even play with a keyboard, and this amazing game has received negative reviews for its hardcore nature alone. But it's this hardcore quality that has kept me playing this game for nearly 20 years. Other rally simulators, no matter how amazing the graphics are, I can’t play them, because they have physics and feel like not a car, but an iron. And for a rally game, physics is 90% of the gameplay in fact. The most important part, I think.

Or the same situation with the IL-2 Sturmovik (2001 and IL-2 Forgotten Battles 2003). Flight physics and sensations are transmitted even on the keyboard. There just weren't any games that came close to being like a flight sim. The game is over 20 years old and I still play it. And the graphics completely fade into the background.

:arrow: The closer the game is to reality, the more difficult it is, the more it challenges, the more interesting it is.
Shiva

#2578 Post by Shiva » 23 May 2022 11:10

My idea is to gradually warp the map, so east/west and north/south gets longer.
original.jpg
vs
stretched.jpg
Not a really good example, due to done in paint, but if you compare both, you'll see what I mean.
Here I have started the stretch around west 93degree longitude.

Regarding the years, that is my release theory from some years back.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
fra_ba

#2579 Post by fra_ba » 23 May 2022 11:47

How much bigger the stretched image is?
oldmanclippy

#2580 Post by oldmanclippy » 23 May 2022 13:08

If there was to be some sort of scale manipulation, I would prefer it to be like what Shiva described, with a gradual warping of the map projection but still having a 1:20 timescale. Get it to the point where Rhode Island is big enough for Providence and Newport, where Boston won't stretch outside the Massachusetts borders, where Wilmington DE won't need to be cut, where DC can get US-50 through the city, etc. We need more room for the tightest spaces on the east coast, but not as much room as people might think. Just a bit.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)

Return to “General discussion about the game”