[WIP] [Rel] Paris 1:1 Map [1.49]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
enigmqtik

Re: [WIP] Paris 1:1 Map

#31 Post by enigmqtik » 17 Mar 2022 04:01

Hi !

Really impressive work, we'll love to drive and discover this map and compare it to real life :)

Keep on doing great things !

Cheers !
davincillo
SCS Software

#32 Post by davincillo » 17 Mar 2022 08:52

Hey, amazing job really!.. but what about optimalization? Is it even playable? :D
„Altum silentium.“
fisherm

#33 Post by fisherm » 17 Mar 2022 10:55

Wow, a comment from SCS - thanks davincillo.

I'm on a 3 year old Dell gaming laptop, i7-9750H, GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, 16GB, 2x8GB ram, DDR4, 2666MHz, and the frame rate is okay, even though I have to set traffic to 10, otherwise the city feels too empty.
There is a problem area around the Sacré-Cœur hill where there's the long distance panorama - there are "wipeouts" of the graphics with too many objects, and parts of the scenery disappear unless you change to external view and look downwards, reducing the objects in view - I'll put an image in below to explain. But I have a warning map of the wipeout zone in the manual, and drivers can choose to avoid that area if they wish. But along the river where there is also long visibility, the rendering works with no problems. It's only the hill panorama. Objects are still there, so you don't fall through the ground. It just spoils the immersion.
[ external image ]
I decided with Paris it would take so many years to complete, the technology would have improved by the time I was finished anyway, so it was better to make it as real as possible and not worry about performance. There were rumours of SCS increasing the maximum number of visible objects?

A second optimisation issue is the GPS chooses unrealistic routes down narrow roads, in order to avoid traffic lights. Similar to in Nevada where the GPS takes you round a side road to bypass signals at that crossroads north of Vegas. A real GPS has a "favour major roads" option that is missing in the simulation. So once you turn off the motorway in Paris, you can only use the GPS as a guide for the approximate direction.
crowjose

#34 Post by crowjose » 20 Mar 2022 15:55

Even so, the map looks very good, I'm looking forward to the first beta being released so I can test it.
TheInsider

#35 Post by TheInsider » 03 Apr 2022 17:38

Wow this looks amazing! Keep it up.
Double M

#36 Post by Double M » 11 Apr 2022 15:05

I discovered this thread and I am speechless. I never imagined that someone would be able to recreate a city and less on a 1:1 scale. I'm waiting for the day when you publish the map. Looking at the photos I can only say that it looks exceptional, a true work of art. A super ambitious project and the best I've seen. I really want to drive around Paris. In the future I would like to visit Paris in person, but I think that with this map, it will no longer be necessary.
MarciuTR2

#37 Post by MarciuTR2 » 16 Apr 2022 01:44

I want to see how La Defense will look with their modern skycraspers on the map.
RideroftheMark

#38 Post by RideroftheMark » 29 Apr 2022 15:45

Amazing job keep it up! Definitely looking forward to drive in this map.
fisherm

#39 Post by fisherm » 25 May 2022 15:51

Someone on the forum asked me for more pictures of the Périphérique ring road, and the A1. Sorry, that was a while ago. I'm overdue posting an update:

Many companies have their French headquarters located around the Périphérique. At night, their colourful logos and signs help illuminate the road.
[ external image ]

Before reaching the A1 intersection, the "periph" crosses the rail lines carrying the Eurostar, and the lines going to Amsterdam and Brussels.
[ external image ]

Travelling north on the A1, there are signs of Paris's preparation for hosting the 2024 Olympics. Let's hope the map is even released by then!
[ external image ]

A second major motorway is the A86 outer ring road, which will have some sections drivable. It is seen here crossing the Canal St Denis, and the RER B suburban rail line.
[ external image ]

You'll remember that the aim in the map is to complete inside the inner ring road, and also follow the A1 and RER line out to Charles de Gaulle airport. The second station / suburb out from Paris is La Courneuve Aubervilliers.
[ external image ]

Train Simulator, anyone?
[ external image ]

SCS like to have "guess the location" challenges in their blog posts. Here's mine - kudos to the first reply recognising this Métro station from its mural:
[ external image ]

I continue to work square by square to extend the central area. Here at the Southeast edge, is another familiar Parisian sight - the street market sellers or "bouquinistes" along the river Seine, with Notre Dame visible on its island in the background.
[ external image ]

One of Paris's most visited districts is the narrow streets of the Marais, filled with interesting shops. The Marais also hosts important museums, including Paris's modern art museum, the Centre Pompidou.
[ external image ]

Many roads in the Marais are too small to show on a truck GPS. Drivers will need to find the secret back roads to see street art in the Marais such as this:
[ external image ]

The process of extending the map has recently slowed significantly, as I am doing quality control on some of the very early areas, including adding the Métro entrances, crosswalks, presse cabins and Morris columns needed to make somewhere instantly identifiable as Paris. So it will be a while before my next big post, but hopefully the effort is worth it.
[ external image ]

Work inside the ring has also slowed because a second highway has begun to extend beyond the periph - the N13 goes towards Europe's largest business district - La Défense. Here we look back towards Porte Maillot, with the Arc de Triomphe in the far distance.
[ external image ]

After all this map building work, I need to relax. Okay, Longchamp is better known for horse racing, but it's fun to try cornering a truck on grass, at high speed.
[ external image ]

I finished my first post with a "good night from Paris". So good night again, but for those who aren't ready for sleep, I've added Paris's most famous nightspot - the Moulin Rouge.
[ external image ]
Lukemfc

#40 Post by Lukemfc » 25 May 2022 18:04

Seriously this map will be unbelievable maybe the best behind promods

Return to “Maps”