Differential Ratio as an Array

Should the differential ratio be selectable?

Yes
97%
Yes, but not in this form (Comment)
3%
No
No votes

Total votes: 30

LoaderSaints

Differential Ratio as an Array

#1 Post by LoaderSaints » 02 Apr 2022 08:13

As the title says, I am suggesting of turning the differential_ratio attribute in the accessory_transmission_data unit class into array<float> instead of float.
This would make it possible to define a set of available differential ratio options per transmission instead of having to create duplicates with just different differential ratio and in some cases would drastically reduce the amount of files. Below are some illustrations of how this could look like if implemented.

In the Truck Configurator screen, a drop-down menu with all the available differential ratios would have to be added in the Transmission selection screen. The contents of the drop-down menu would depend on the transmission selected.
[ external image ]
*Click image for original resolution

Here is how an instance of the accessory_transmission_data unit class could look like. The first member of the array would be the primary/default differential ratio which would be selected by default when the transmission in question is selected in-game. For backwards compatibility purposes, the current differential_ratio attribute could also serve as the default option (not shown in image). This would somewhat ensure that an inexperienced player would have a baseline for the differential ratio and would not be forced to select one and could just stick with the default option.
[ external image ]
*Click image for original resolution
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Differential Ratio as an Array

#2 Post by supersobes » 02 Apr 2022 14:19

I love this idea! I've been using your Real Eaton Transmissions mod to get more differential ratios, and it would be really cool if this was implemented into the base game. It has always kind of bothered me the default transmissions in ATS only have one differential ratio each. In some cases, picking the most realistic transmission for a particular truck is terrible for fuel economy because of the differential ratio that SCS assigned to it.
rookie_one

#3 Post by rookie_one » 30 Apr 2022 13:20

Fully agree with this idea, nuff said
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here
PikPikker

#4 Post by PikPikker » 01 May 2022 03:06

I totally like the idea but I'm not sure about the realization - maybe we will have to store the differential as the separate part because otherwise it would be hard to save the differential ratio.
EricF

#5 Post by EricF » 26 May 2022 01:07

Yes! It's a pain hunting through the transmission listings on various trucks to see if there are any decent axle ratio options or not.

A consistent interface would be helpful for both vanilla and mod trucks. Might even make selecting ratios more understandable for players who aren't familiar with the concept -- just add some explanation or even icons along with the choices to help convey lower numbers=higher road speeds/fuel economy and higher numbers=more torque for off-highway/heavy haul but lower fuel economy.

Icons alongside each ratio and a bit of explainer text could go a long way to making it understandable and more satisfying for players in customizing their trucks.
System Specs for Beta and performance comparisons:
Ryzen 9 5900x - 32GB RAM - NVMe SSD - RTX2080 Super - 3440x1440 Ultrawide - TrackIR - T248 Wheel/Pedals
siebel3d

#6 Post by siebel3d » 26 May 2022 02:32

That would be awesome! That implementation would be very useful.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”