hunting unlimited 2011

Do you think it's the worst in the series?

Yeah
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 2

Tunahan_cevik41

hunting unlimited 2011

#1 Post by Tunahan_cevik41 » 23 May 2022 19:42

Even though it's the worst game in the series, I still play it.
Owes this to the fact that I met him when I was a child.
If I hadn't met him as a kid and made memories, I wouldn't have played.
:)
Attachments
20220523205600_1.jpg
20220523210345_1.jpg
20220523211551_1.jpg
20220523211616_1.jpg
20220523211630_1.jpg
EibeAxxt

Re: hunting unlimited 2011

#2 Post by EibeAxxt » 24 May 2022 21:43

Yea, it's worst for a reason: Gameplay COMPLETELY changed, instead of traditional missions, it was somewhat (as far as i remember from childhood) "bleh". So i watched a gameplay video. You were mostly in one space and the guns had to be unlocked. Hunting Unlimited wasn't anything like that and when they made the last game like this, no one liked it. However, i'll give it the benefit of doubt: Playing the game and unlocking stuff like locations and guns is very smart, it's like "kill animal, get money, buy guns". Except the fact that it's so tedious to the point it's boring. But the gameplay experience? C'mon man. I think it's a BIG downgrade, the ambient is so dead it's unreal. You would have bushes, camps, trucks even campfires in them. This time, it's just tree and field. The ai of the animals is so clunky idk what to say. Sometimes when they turn, they are in a still animation. Damn.

Ending thoughts: I feel that if this was made for mobile, it would've been an ok move. Since this was made on PC like every other HU game in the series, it really doesn't work. But since scs didn't even work on it, i have to say that there is worse. Cause remember: IT COULD'VE BEEN WORSE. 3.5/10
Tunahan_cevik41

#3 Post by Tunahan_cevik41 » 24 May 2022 23:30

EibeAxxt wrote: 24 May 2022 21:43 Yea, it's worst for a reason: Gameplay COMPLETELY changed, instead of traditional missions, it was somewhat (as far as i remember from childhood) "bleh". So i watched a gameplay video. You were mostly in one space and the guns had to be unlocked. Hunting Unlimited wasn't anything like that and when they made the last game like this, no one liked it. However, i'll give it the benefit of doubt: Playing the game and unlocking stuff like locations and guns is very smart, it's like "kill animal, get money, buy guns". Except the fact that it's so tedious to the point it's boring. But the gameplay experience? C'mon man. I think it's a BIG downgrade, the ambient is so dead it's unreal. You would have bushes, camps, trucks even campfires in them. This time, it's just tree and field. The ai of the animals is so clunky idk what to say. Sometimes when they turn, they are in a still animation. Damn.

Ending thoughts: I feel that if this was made for mobile, it would've been an ok move. Since this was made on PC like every other HU game in the series, it really doesn't work. But since scs didn't even work on it, i have to say that there is worse. Cause remember: IT COULD'VE BEEN WORSE. 3.5/10
yes, I totally agree with you.
I'm still playing and it was a big mistake for this game to come out for pc. the animations repeat themselves, the sounds are exactly the same.
the map content, on the other hand, has shrunk instead of enlarged, the environment does not differ.
the gameplay is completely different with the other members of the series, most of the time we are in the tower and we hunt from here, besides, you need to collect points to unlock different weapons and levels, and sometimes, no matter how well you play, you cannot collect the points that the game asks you for. this is so annoying.

ARB studio has done the worst job in the series,
but it would be a good job if it debuted for mobile.
NmanMETA

#4 Post by NmanMETA » 25 May 2022 04:15

Absolutely, mirrors a lot of my thoughts about the game. Not necessarily bad, but this very much feels like a mobile phone game in setup. In the interest of fairness though, even if it had been released on mobile, the absolute most we'd have gotten was 2012. Remember, ARB has basically been radio silent since late 2012, and at that time, THQ already had way bigger fish to fry than Hunting Unlimited's licensing and releases, and the like, using that as a segue, I feel like THQ is in equal part to blame for trusting ARB in the first place, plenty of PC developers out there that could have done a better job at expanding the scope a bit. It didn't do a good job of capturing the vastness that was present in the SCS titles. In particular, 2011 was a colossal letdown in comparison to the formula that was touched on in HU3, started in HU4, and was perfected in 2010.

As such, I feel like since it was a different developer, and such a vastly different formula from the "last game", looking at 2011 as an attempt to recapture the formula from HU and HU2 with essentially a graphical boost, it's not *that* bad. But even still, the clunky controls, the weird weapon unlocks and the super just... weird models, moreso than coming off as a reimagining of those early HU games, it just makes me wish I was playing HU or HU2. In a roundabout way, it also reminds me partly of DeerDrive, as the missions were abbreviated and very much felt more like "minigames" since they were so truncated. Because of all of these smaller, individualized difference, when I put them all together, I'm going to be honest, I don't consider 2011 a quote "sequel" to 2010, it's not the same series to me. It's a game that, in general, is better remembered in its own bubble, as its own thing, and when you go into the game with that expectation, I think it does its job fine.

It's not going to win any awards, it's very forgettable, but it's a fine enough game. I wouldn't so much call this a "simulation" hunting game, I think the bar for that has (ironically) been way too low ever since SCS left the scene, again, that's kind of where my DeerDrive comparison is at its strongest- it feels like a mobile-gamey arcade type game, just with unlock walls where I fear microtransactions would have been had it been a mobile adaptation, or ARB continued releasing games. I saw that Eibe gave a rating, and since my comment is a de-facto review of its own, I'll give it a 4.5/10. I think if you go in with the expectations of the latter few HU games, you'll definitely be let down pretty violently, that much is not a debate, this is not as good as any of the previous games in the series except *maybe* the 1st 2, but even those, I think were a better approach at an arcade-meets-simulation hunting style.

Mechanically it felt clunky, lumbering and slow, it's a nice looking game like all of the other ones but it's not even necessarily "better looking", so much as it just looks different. In its own scope, it does a sequential mission format pretty well, the unlock format is fine, it requires a fair amount of precision to complete missions well, those are all good things, but going back on myself a bit, requiring precision and quick timing in a game that controls so slowly and sloth-like, that isn't the funnest experience. However, the gameplay is generally survivable, and the unlocks are rewarding enough that full "completion" is doable for me. Overall, this game can "do it" for you if you need a hybrid style hunting game, I wouldn't look down on somebody for liking this game. Especially if they had/have nostalgia for it, but there's just enough holding it back.

I guess at the end of the day, how somebody feels about this game is going to depend heavily on how much depth they're willing to part ways with for a "blast from the past" hybrid hunting game. If somebody goes into this game expecting "real hunting unlimited" and doesn't have nostalgia for it, they're going to be harsh with it. Me personally, do I like the game? No, to be blunt. Did I have fun with it? Not really. Morbid curiosity, mild nostalgia and my critical itch that played through the whole thing a few times, and ultimately had a good time doing it? Sure, but I wouldn't say I had "fun" with it so much- really I just found myself wishing I was playing an actual DeerDrive game, or the original 2 installments in the series as, not to repeat myself, those are all better all-around games.

How was my half-baked, arm's length review?
WE'RE *THIS* CLOSE!
Tunahan_cevik41

#5 Post by Tunahan_cevik41 » 26 May 2022 07:28

Thank you very much for your thoughts.
I agree with you. I also don't see this game as a member of the hunting unlimited series because it would be an insult to the series. It's not that bad if it's considered a standalone build on its own, but if it's going to be called as hunting unlimited it's terrible.

Return to “Hunting Unlimited Series”