SCS General Discussion Thread

Trucker Nik

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#16671 Post by Trucker Nik » 28 May 2022 04:58

Have you noticed that when you post to this thread, I do not count towards your total profile posts? I noticed that a long time ago, why?
seth_haveron

#16672 Post by seth_haveron » 28 May 2022 05:36

Underscore_101_ wrote: 27 May 2022 17:35 Let's not release Texas because 21, (19 of which were children) innocent people died,...
and so do 44k each Year so what ??
i dont care if you like my Opinion i shove it in your face anyway ....unlike you i have one.
Madkine
Global moderator

#16673 Post by Madkine » 28 May 2022 06:20

Virtual Trucker 51 wrote: 28 May 2022 04:58 Have you noticed that when you post to this thread, I do not count towards your total profile posts? I noticed that a long time ago, why?
No posts in the 'Offtopic' forum count towards your total.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
JaDaKa

#16674 Post by JaDaKa » 28 May 2022 07:59

VirtualTruckTravels wrote: 28 May 2022 00:11 @JaDaKa If it is better that the community is closer, then you would not need all the hashtags etc.
And your "whataboutism" with MSFS and FS and what their devs are doing, has nothing to do with the debate of SCS.
Certainly everyone's opinion is respectable where there is hardly any black or white. There is some truth in everyone's sayings.
I won't agree that I "what-abouted" it is just a comparison.

As others said, yes i agree that it takes too long for SCS to release stuff, it should at least be half the time it takes but that's down to my preferences and logic as a player. I need some new content every few months and not every once a year.
That being said though, how SCS manages its time, resources they actually have and the reasons why it takes them long, I don't know.
I believe they also want to release content sooner and earn more money right? So maybe for x, y reasons I am not aware of they cannot deliver.

Therefore what I know for certain is their philosophy and what they want to bring into the game irrelevantly to time. And for that I am certain they are doing a good job.

Now the hashtags, marketing etc of course it also aims at more exposure etc. I don't know why it is a bad thing for a company to try to increase its profits by reaching out to a broader audience.
If I didn't want that then demanding by SCS to deliver more content and sooner, would be hypocritical as they will not be able to do so unless they expand and grow.
But hashtags, contests and events also help keep the playerbase alive and together. And it is actual content that gives more longevity to the game I enjoy, something which I am really happy about.
Trucker_71

#16675 Post by Trucker_71 » 28 May 2022 08:06

Maybe the philosophy of SCS is to provide quality over quantity. 🤔
Some newbie driver

#16676 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 May 2022 08:50

I think the point is that their philosophy is to invest their profits instead of to gain a big debt. Any company that has a good balance (and considering they had been solid in their releases and growth for a long period, we can guess they probably have a sane economy) can take debt and make a big growth. But then things could derail and what? How many companies had to close worldwide due the pandemic, for example? They have chained a very big delay in their major money income past year (Iberia DLC) and now they had to cancel their major money income for this year (HoR DLC). Would they had chosen the "take debt, fast grow" path; there would had been way more chances they were in serious economical trouble.

As far as I know, they were near bankruptcy when they were creating ETS2 due they had to invest everything (money, time and efforts) on it without being able to release almost nothing (or nothing at all, not sure). From my point of view and the things we know of the company as outsiders; seems they want to avoid at any cost to be near that position anymore (other CEO in other studios rather to gamble way harder with their companies). So, they release at a moderate pace with the staff they have now, take the money of that and with the profits they invest in an slow rate of growing. Would SCS be a developer of fast-food-games like major AAA releases, that way to work would be terrible for them (they would always be late to the trending party). But they are committed to a very long term support of a few games with constant releases; so it seems good for them to follow that way.

Then, the quality over quantity... it's up to everyone of us to decide what we fell about quality. Quantity... players will never be satisfied with quantity of stuff in the games they like, no matter what. :lol:

Regards
Vinnie Terranova

#16677 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 28 May 2022 08:58

Ofcourse quality must be over quantity, but when I see screenshots in the first few blogs of a new map DLC, to me it always looks like the DLC is quite finished; it seems it only needs some polishing. But that polishing apparently takes several months, or sometimes more than a year, which is way too long.

And that's one of the problems of the blogs. I want blogs that gives insight in the development process: how does a certain area look like in the beginning of the development process, and how does it evolve during this process?
I mean, I don't want blogs about rest areas, gas stations, etc. Those blogs are unbelievable boring. Instead I want to have more insight in the development process of a map DLC: I want to have some kind of development roadmap, so that I can see in what stadium the map DLC is, and so that I can see what has to be done yet before the map DLC can be released.

What we now get are some blogs that show several aspects of the map DLC. But it's always the same: prefabs, nature, roads, industries, truck stops, and some cities. But starting from Utah / Idaho I already know that the quality is okay. And I also know that it will not be perfect. But what I don't know is why it takes so much time for the map DLC to be ready. What has still to be done to the map DLC before it can be released? That is something I really, really want more insight in. Because those insights help me to be patient.
Tristman

#16678 Post by Tristman » 28 May 2022 09:08

Just because we get a blog with nice pictures doesn’t mean that the entire state is finished.
They just find spots that are (almost) done and take pictures of it so they have something to show. Around the corner of that picture it might still be holes and missing textures for all we know.
xXCARL1992Xx

#16679 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 28 May 2022 09:11

it was even said in some stream or blogs that the picture we see are only rare places that are already so far progressed that they can be shown, it doesnt mean the rest is also in this state already
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
JaDaKa

#16680 Post by JaDaKa » 28 May 2022 10:03

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 28 May 2022 08:58 ...Instead I want to have more insight in the development process of a map DLC: I want to have some kind of development roadmap, so that I can see in what stadium the map DLC is, and so that I can see what has to be done yet before the map DLC can be released....
I think that's a really really good point and something that should be looked into by SCS.
Blogs showcasing content are alright when it is about building up the hype etc but having an insight into what goes into the stages of creating a map would be really good.
That would put many concerns at ease and it would also give some exposure to all the hardworking people who are tasked with them.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”