[REL] No GPS player icon / Hide player position

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
nautofon

[REL] No GPS player icon / Hide player position

#1 Post by nautofon » 28 Dec 2021 15:42

The No GPS player icon mod hides the blue triangle "GPS fix" icon which is used to indicate the player's position on the world map.

This may be useful when playing with no navigation, because opening the world map to e.g. search for a gas station is less likely to "spoil" your current position. The world map will usually still open with the view centered on your current position, but without the player icon, the exact position is less obvious.

Limitation:

The same icon that is used on the world map is also used in the Route Advisor and the truck's 3D-rendered navigation display. Installing this mod will hide the icon everywhere.

Compatibility:

Tested with ATS 1.42 through 1.49. Likely compatible with a wide range of ATS and ETS2 versions.
Can be added and removed with no ill effects; the icon simply re-appears upon mod removal.

Version history:

v1: Initial release
v2: Marked as optional for multiplayer sessions (mp_mod_optional)

Distribution:

This mod is placed into the Public Domain. You do whatever you want with it! No attribution is required. Should you still wish to cite the original source of the idea, please credit the author as nautofon and/or link to this forum thread.

Download:

⬇️ https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujkoq5zj0irofyd/No_GPS_player_icon_v2.scs?dl=1 (11 KB)

Enjoy!

There is also a variant available: The Hide player position mod additionally makes undiscovered roads yellow, see post #7 below.
Last edited by nautofon on 13 Nov 2023 07:59, edited 9 times in total.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
Technology With Pro

Re: [REL] No GPS player icon

#2 Post by Technology With Pro » 15 May 2022 04:13

I just have one question and want to be confirm before I download this mod. Is this actually also compatible with ETS2 and not just ATS? I would love to use this mod for both ETS2 and ATS to make maps for the Truck Simulator Wiki.
Administrator (and former Bureaucrat) of: [ external image ]
You can find me here.
nautofon

#3 Post by nautofon » 28 May 2022 17:48

Apologies for the late response.

@Technology With Pro I'm afraid "likely" is as good as it gets until you actually test it in ETS2.

When you do so, please report your results in this thread! :) By the way, for map screenshots, you should also consider Vinnie Terranova's Fullscreen Map.
Technology With Pro

#4 Post by Technology With Pro » 02 Jun 2022 23:40

@nautofon Thanks! I actually already have the fullscreen map mod before asking. I'll let you know if I run into some issues with this mod.
Administrator (and former Bureaucrat) of: [ external image ]
You can find me here.
nautofon

#5 Post by nautofon » 03 Jun 2022 09:59

Sounds good, thanks!
nautofon

#6 Post by nautofon » 26 Jul 2022 10:51

Updated to version 2, which marks this mod as "optional" for Convoy sessions.
nautofon

[REL] Hide player position

#7 Post by nautofon » 01 Dec 2022 10:15

The Hide player position mod is a variant of the No GPS player icon mod that not only hides the blue triangle "GPS fix" icon, but also makes all roads yellow, even the undiscovered ones.

This is useful when playing with no navigation in a new DLC. Otherwise, when entering a new area you haven't yet explored, the end of the yellow part of the road would spoil your current position just as much as the blue icon would.

[ external image ]

I've been on the fence for months regarding whether or not to integrate this feature into the No GPS player icon mod. I have ultimately decided against it, and am now releasing this variant as a separate Hide player position mod. I'm doing so because making the roads yellow is significantly less compatible than just hiding the icon. More specifically, it only works well with ATS, and it'll also mess up the world map UI for map mods such as ProMods Canada. (SCS releasing new DLCs that expand the game world further to the east will also create trouble, but I'll try to keep this mod updated when that happens.)

For ProMods in particular, instead of using the Hide player position mod, you can simply use the plain No GPS player icon mod (see post #1 above) and change the road colors using the ProMods def file generator. This will result in an effect very similar to this mod.

[ external image ]

Download:

⬇️ https://www.dropbox.com/s/gytx1f5r050iayi/Hide_player_position.scs (32 KB)

Enjoy!
Last edited by nautofon on 25 Feb 2023 12:08, edited 2 times in total.
GabeTeuton

Re: [REL] No GPS player icon / Hide player position

#8 Post by GabeTeuton » 24 Jan 2023 00:18

sorry to bother with this, the mods works fine, all roads yellow and no blue marker on the truck spot, but is there a way to also hide the red gps route?

(i know how to disable it on the map screen, but the truck dashboard still shows it)

thanks in advance

nevermind, there's a bind option to turn it off

i ended up finding a bug, while the mod is loaded i'm unable to move the map east of roughly germany/austria, if i disable the mod it allows that, maybe something to do with the dlcs??
(FYI only the version with yellow roads is bugged)

I'm sorry this is all explained correctly on the previous post... need to read carefully... maybe it's not my day...
Last edited by GabeTeuton on 24 Jan 2023 14:27, edited 4 times in total.
nautofon

#9 Post by nautofon » 26 Jan 2023 07:33

Hi GabeTeuton, thanks for getting in touch. Glad you found the setting to turn off the red route! :) For the benefit of other readers, I'll mention it's called "Show Navigation: Never" and it's in the gameplay options (if I understood your question correctly).

Sorry about the Germany/Austria thing. The previous post didn't clearly state that the Hide player position variant (the one with the yellow roads) is only meant for ATS. I've now edited the post to mention that.

For ETS2, I'd suggest to enable the No GPS player icon mod instead and additionally use ProMods Europe to change the road colors if desired, as explained above.
nautofon

#10 Post by nautofon » 03 Feb 2023 19:17

By coincidence, I just discovered the "make the map appear as discovered" mod by @Glutinous Rice. It first appeared years ago and I never knew about it until today! In addition to painting all roads yellow, it also changes both photo sights and viewpoints to appear as discovered. So that gives us even more options through combinations of the different mods. That's awesome! :)

⬇️ https://mega.nz/folder/pjImnRAS#P7sJoAXy1_H8etIxCpaE8Q

Found at: Glutinous Rice on trucksimulator.wiki.gg / Glutinous Rice on truck-simulator.fandom.com

Return to “Others”