Decal & Paintjob on Moving Surfaces

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
AlwaysLonging

Decal & Paintjob on Moving Surfaces

#1 Post by AlwaysLonging » 25 Jun 2022 12:19

Hello all,

I am using a Mercedes Tourismo coach mod for which I have made my own skin. I am a beginner, so it is a very basic skin, but I would like to know if there is a tutorial for dummies which explains how to include moving passenger doors and luggage hold doors in the skin. Currently, when I apply my skin, the doors are a different random color.

I would also like to be pointed towards a tutorial for dummies which explains how to add colored decals/stickers to transparent surfaces such as the front and rear windshields and passenger windows using just the basic skinning template provided by the author.

I have tried looking for tutorials here on this forum, on google and YT as well, but I must be using the wrong keywords, because I have not seen what I am looking for.

A text tutorial would be ideal, but I will settle for a video tutorial as well. Thanks in advance!
Etrusan

Re: Decal & Paintjob on Moving Surfaces

#2 Post by Etrusan » 25 Jun 2022 16:14

If the doors use window animation, then you cannot apply a texture repaint. Only solid base color will work.

As far as I know, there's no easy way to do decals as truckpaint doesn't support alpha. You'd need to make your own models and add them as accessory.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6700K; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net
AlwaysLonging

#3 Post by AlwaysLonging » 27 Jun 2022 07:16

@Etrusan Thank you for your reply. If what you say about animated objects is true, how could the author have applied paintjobs which come with the mod to the doors which use window animation? Would it be possible if it was done during the 3D modelling stage itself? The problem with the Tourismo mod is that while the mod itself is good, the authors do not seem to be available on this forum which is why I have to pick other modders' brains about such things when other modders may or may not have experience with my specific questions

Regarding making my own models for decals on transparent objects, would you happen to know any good tutorials?
Etrusan

#4 Post by Etrusan » 27 Jun 2022 09:28

Yes, you assign the texture directly with a different shader.

SCS wiki for start and then experiment.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6700K; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net

Return to “Help requests”