SCS, please allow us to deliver in downtowns

Should SCS include downtown delivery spots in existing DLC metro regions?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 86

Optional Features

Re: SCS, please allow us to deliver in downtowns

#21 Post by Optional Features » 02 Jun 2022 22:02

A specific, real life example to add to this thread. SCS has already created models for a number of convention centers. There is one in Portland, one in Seattle, one in Boise?, and I think one in Spokane (I might be wrong).

Tradeshows and events (Monster Jam is another) in stadiums generate significant business for the trucking industry, and seem like an easy win for adding more variety to the drops, something that is badly needed.

[ external image ]
Nitrodax777

#22 Post by Nitrodax777 » 28 Jun 2022 05:42

The reason why SCS won't do this is because a lot of inner cities have tractor trailer ordinances that don't allow large full length trucks in downtown areas (I was OTR and am currently a local owner op). What you are asking them to do would be to rework the ENTIRE cargo system to add another indepth layer that sorts available cargo not only based on the truck and trailer length combination, but also on a per-city basis depending on whether or not they have such ordinances. Doing so on a state level is really easy because you just add a validity tag to the configuration file for just the trailer. But it would become outstandingly tedious and less feasible to do that for every city in the game, and have additional calculations to determine full combination length just to comply with the aforementioned ordinances.
Optional Features

#23 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 06:35

Nitrodax777 wrote: 28 Jun 2022 05:42 The reason why SCS won't do this is because a lot of inner cities have tractor trailer ordinances that don't allow large full length trucks in downtown areas (I was OTR and am currently a local owner op). What you are asking them to do would be to rework the ENTIRE cargo system to add another indepth layer that sorts available cargo not only based on the truck and trailer length combination, but also on a per-city basis depending on whether or not they have such ordinances. Doing so on a state level is really easy because you just add a validity tag to the configuration file for just the trailer. But it would become outstandingly tedious and less feasible to do that for every city in the game, and have additional calculations to determine full combination length just to comply with the aforementioned ordinances.
That isn't the reason SCS isn't doing it, sorry. The likelihood that their team has even heard of such regulations is near zero. One of the community managers first discovered a jake brake a few weeks ago.

That being said, even with these regulations in place, there are plenty of truckers making deliveries in downtowns/urban centers. Some of these are oversize loads, some are food, and some are household goods or business supplies. I don't know if they have special permits or have to operate in certain hours, or maybe it's only certain cities. But it does happen, and it would be nice if the game reflected it on a rare occasion.

I posted a few example videos showing what I mean in the previous threads.

A couple additional examples in a quick search.

Some of these are clearly not 53 foot trailers, but the game has shorter trailers (and lift gates) for this kind of in-town work.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Nitrodax777

#24 Post by Nitrodax777 » 28 Jun 2022 08:16

seriousmods wrote: 28 Jun 2022 06:35
Nitrodax777 wrote: 28 Jun 2022 05:42 The reason why SCS won't do this is because a lot of inner cities have tractor trailer ordinances that don't allow large full length trucks in downtown areas (I was OTR and am currently a local owner op). What you are asking them to do would be to rework the ENTIRE cargo system to add another indepth layer that sorts available cargo not only based on the truck and trailer length combination, but also on a per-city basis depending on whether or not they have such ordinances. Doing so on a state level is really easy because you just add a validity tag to the configuration file for just the trailer. But it would become outstandingly tedious and less feasible to do that for every city in the game, and have additional calculations to determine full combination length just to comply with the aforementioned ordinances.
That isn't the reason SCS isn't doing it, sorry. The likelihood that their team has even heard of such regulations is near zero. One of the community managers first discovered a jake brake a few weeks ago.

That being said, even with these regulations in place, there are plenty of truckers making deliveries in downtowns/urban centers. Some of these are oversize loads, some are food, and some are household goods or business supplies. I don't know if they have special permits or have to operate in certain hours, or maybe it's only certain cities. But it does happen, and it would be nice if the game reflected it on a rare occasion.

I posted a few example videos showing what I mean in the previous threads.

A couple additional examples in a quick search.

Some of these are clearly not 53 foot trailers, but the game has shorter trailers (and lift gates) for this kind of in-town work.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
I never said ALL cities have this ordinance. But as a driver I know a very large portion do. And the ordinances can vastly differ from city to city. Some regulate it by length, some by weight, and I've even seen some do it by time. Heck, some have even been unorthodox and base it on axle load. It's along the same reason why we can't drive up into a lot of the residential portions of the map because the VAST majority of suburban communities are on roads that are strictly limited to 5 tons and does not allow thruway traffic. And the only exception to those weight limits are local deliveries because they don't ride through on a daily basis. If you see a truck in an environment that would otherwise violate an ordinance, then it would either fall under the local delivery exception or has permits to be there under specialty exemptions pre-approved by the city. Otherwise as someone else already said, all standardized freight would be segregated at a warehouse/terminal outside of the city, and then brought into the city on a truck that doesn't violate those ordinances. California alone has a state-wide ordinance stating that all commercial vehicles are prohibited from travelling off of designated truck routes unless a direct service is required by the utility in question. Any other case requires you get a permit. So that just simply goes back to my original point that if they were to do this, they would have to rework the cargo system to abide by every city's ordinance if they have one. It has nothing to do with not hearing about the regulations because in order to make these maps, SCS does have a map team of scouters that travel across the country to collect data to see what environmental features are best suited to add to the map since it's not a 1-1 scale. So of course they would know about such regulations because they have to check where trucks can and can't go. They don't just sit in the office and make the maps based on Google street view, they actually send people to these locations.
Optional Features

#25 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 16:17

@Nitrodax777 Again, you are giving a real life reason why something doesn't happen. There is no connection between that and why SCS doesn't allow it to happen.

SCS has blocked off truck yards, warehouses, and businesses of all types, and those have nothing to do with a state or local regulation.

Look at an old map and look at a new map, and you'll see what I mean. Newer maps have an increasing number of detailed places that are behind walls: old states don't have those, or they are not nearly as numerous/large.
Optional Features

#26 Post by Optional Features » 11 Jul 2022 05:49

Another real life example posted to YouTube just days ago, this time delivering to Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta. Would be nice to see the stadiums in game accepting similar deliveries.
angrybirdseller

#27 Post by angrybirdseller » 11 Jul 2022 06:06

Instead of you tube videos what about city Ordanices and DOT information. @Nitrodax777 is right about these rules, and if there only allowed to deliver at certian times of the day or week it can create bigger problems for SCS programmers how to program and implement. The thing scs can use thier programmers for features that are easier to implement and add value to the game.
Optional Features

#28 Post by Optional Features » 08 Nov 2022 17:48

Even the Texas early access players want to deliver downtown, so much so that they are using clickbait.
xXCARL1992Xx

#29 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 08 Nov 2022 17:52

"We'll be driving through Houston's Downtown delivering to Houston Intercontinental Airport."

ofc he/she wants to :roll:
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
1948LJMack

#30 Post by 1948LJMack » 09 Nov 2022 00:57

flight50 wrote: 08 Dec 2021 00:04 Most town centers don't have space for long trailers though. There are some but they are day cabs 9 times out of 10. Too many cars, to many tight corners. Town centers have side street parkin and that is a nightmare for a 53' trailer. The issue with town center deliverers in ATS is space. To even have a town center, is to have huge buildings for a few square miles to represent town center. They eat up ton of space. Not much will fit because every major city will need depots, but they must go on the perimeter of town center. Add in the surface streets and that makes things even tighter. I don't see us delivering inside of town centers for any of the top 11 cities with 1 million plus in the US.

So either we get town centers for major cities and drive thru them but can't delivery to them and get depots on the outskirts. Or we don't get a town center or a very very limited one and get all the industry around town center. It would be weird not seeing town center in the major cities and not having the road network thru them on the interstates that passes by them. The alternative is just not being able to deliver to town centers which is where we are with the mega cities. Its a compromise I'm sure. Not to mention there could also be a performance hit will all the glass that most town centers have.

We get deliveries in midsized or small cities but the largest ones.....I don't see how that is possible without giving up something. 1:10 or even 1:15, different story.
I'm with you. Unless the place has an underground loading dock, it would be super tight to get a big truck onto those streets. Many downtown streets were built in the days when streetcars were the rule. And the trucks in those days weren't as big as they are nowdays. St. Louis however does have a handful of office buildings where a truck can back into a dock safely without dinging someone's car. The two AT&T buildings do have underground loading docks. However, moving jobs sometimes don't leave you with much choice due to that so much furniture is being delivered to an office in a downtown area.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”