Wyoming Discussion Thread

Tristman

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#6131 Post by Tristman » 29 Jun 2022 12:22

Boise is a fairly small city. Los Angeles and San Francisco are base map cities and not representative of how big cities in ATS look nowadays.
flight50

#6132 Post by flight50 » 29 Jun 2022 15:45

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 29 Jun 2022 12:20
flight50 wrote: 29 Jun 2022 10:34What Rawlins, Laramie, Rocksprings, Evanston and Cheyenne pull off, won't happen in DFW, Houston, LA, Chicago, Philly, Baltimore, NYC. So do it where you can when you have space because there is almost a zero change to drive surface street in mega cities like you can in cities with populations less than 50k.
I have to disagree... Los Angeles has surface streets. San Francisco has surface streets. So I don't see any problem why DFW, Houston, etc won't have surface streets.
I am referring to town center only. Obviously every city will have surface streets to drive but not every city we'll be able to drive thru towncenter. We can not drive thru LA towncenter nor San Fran. We pass by them on interstates only. My fault for not being more thorough. I thought it was obvious on what I speak of based on context clues when I mention those smaller cities and their surface streets. You are still welcome to disagree though.
Last edited by flight50 on 29 Jun 2022 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Optional Features

#6133 Post by Optional Features » 29 Jun 2022 16:13

Also, city design has changed greatly since SCS started the US. The level and depth of "behind the wall" detail has gone up significantly.

I recently found a behind the wall city in Colorado (this would never have happened in early Cali, Arizona, or New Mexico. It would have been enough buildings along the highway for an effect plus a backdrop behind them probably.

I hope this is not a trend.

[ external image ]
Shiva

#6134 Post by Shiva » 29 Jun 2022 16:18

What's wrong with that?
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Optional Features

#6135 Post by Optional Features » 29 Jun 2022 16:24

Shiva wrote: 29 Jun 2022 16:18 What's wrong with that?
Decorative cities? Seems pointless in a game whose only activity is driving.
supersobes
Global moderator

#6136 Post by supersobes » 29 Jun 2022 16:28

Personally, I like the decorative cities and attention to detail that SCS has been putting in newer maps. It makes the game world feel a lot more real than the older maps where there was just nothing along the road at all. Like in the example shown above, the decorative scenery of downtown Pueblo, Colorado along the highway makes you feel like you're actually in Pueblo, not just a random industry that SCS slapped the name Pueblo on.
flight50

#6137 Post by flight50 » 29 Jun 2022 17:25

Agreed. That city is nice. It does add to the realism to see non accessible towns like that. A city that size, yeah we can drive surface streets on something like that. I think that is our best chance of getting deliveries on streets. But when you look the city of LA's towncenter, there won't even be space to add a ramp to even get off to drive thru the skyscrapers. If we could, 1-2 blocks worth won't satisfy people so why even try. To do a city like LA with surface streets, it would take a 1:10 size map as the minimum to enjoy it. I like what the cities in Wyoming does. A tad over sized yes but when you drive thru them, you appreciate the connectivity to the Interstate. One of the biggest issues with previous locations is how disconnected surface streets are. Things should not be isolated in areas to the point you need to jump on the interstate just to access another part of the city. Wyoming did a great job not forcing this. That is another reason for the cities size. Looking at the game map itself or in between the cities is when you feel a loss sense of distance. Its still a non factor for me as I rather get from point A to B in a city without always needing the interstate.

When Nebraska comes, I-80 in Wyoming won't even be relevant news. Going from San Francisco to Lincoln.....once you pass Rock Springs, Laramie, Rawlins.........you won't even care much on how close they are. So looking over them is about all you can do because the cities won't and shouldn't shrink unless SCS rebuilds them lets say 10 years from now when things could need a refresher.
Optional Features

#6138 Post by Optional Features » 29 Jun 2022 17:26

supersobes wrote: 29 Jun 2022 16:28 Personally, I like the decorative cities and attention to detail that SCS has been putting in newer maps. It makes the game world feel a lot more real than the older maps where there was just nothing along the road at all. Like in the example shown above, the decorative scenery of downtown Pueblo, Colorado along the highway makes you feel like you're actually in Pueblo, not just a random industry that SCS slapped the name Pueblo on.
It's a very nice city, and would be nicer if we could drive through it, maybe deliver there.

I even see an AI semi trailer in the pic. It got there somehow: I'd like to join it.
Trakaplex

#6139 Post by Trakaplex » 29 Jun 2022 18:57

flight50 wrote: 29 Jun 2022 17:25 Agreed. That city is nice. It does add to the realism to see non accessible towns like that. A city that size, yeah we can drive surface streets on something like that. I think that is our best chance of getting deliveries on streets. But when you look the city of LA's towncenter, there won't even be space to add a ramp to even get off to drive thru the skyscrapers. If we could, 1-2 blocks worth won't satisfy people so why even try. To do a city like LA with surface streets, it would take a 1:10 size map as the minimum to enjoy it. I like what the cities in Wyoming does. A tad over sized yes but when you drive thru them, you appreciate the connectivity to the Interstate. One of the biggest issues with previous locations is how disconnected surface streets are. Things should not be isolated in areas to the point you need to jump on the interstate just to access another part of the city. Wyoming did a great job not forcing this. That is another reason for the cities size. Looking at the game map itself or in between the cities is when you feel a loss sense of distance. Its still a non factor for me as I rather get from point A to B in a city without always needing the interstate.

When Nebraska comes, I-80 in Wyoming won't even be relevant news. Going from San Francisco to Lincoln.....once you pass Rock Springs, Laramie, Rawlins.........you won't even care much on how close they are. So looking over them is about all you can do because the cities won't and shouldn't shrink unless SCS rebuilds them lets say 10 years from now when things could need a refresher.
True. In the current map, LA is only a few exits from the Ontario area, which would definitely need a larger scale. It would nearly be impossible to capture the "full density and immensity" of LA. On the south side, Carlsbad is only a few exits (it could've been replaced with Oceanside). This is why I think during the rework, they will have to push Santa Cruz farther south to include all of San Jose. Very curious how they will deal with LA in the rework.

And LA's downtown shouldn't be drivable, San Fran is an exception since US-101 runs through.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
oldmanclippy

#6140 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 Jun 2022 13:25

I was able to drive on US-14 from Yellowstone to Cody (as far as the rodeo anyways) last night, and yeah it was as superb as I expected. Very well done (it's crazy how accurate they've been able to make some places, like the Buffalo Bill Dam/Reservoir, the western edge of Cody, the road around Yellowstone Lake, etc), and now I can say that Wyoming is complete until future DLCs make the connecting roads. It gets my vote for best map DLC now that's for sure. And by a team of newbies...very impressive.

Greybull to Cody with Cody as marked 100% should have been in the DLC at launch, so it's great to see that rectified. Cody to West Thumb via US-14 is a nice bonus that will help alleviate the pain of Jackson to Cody trips for those willing to eschew realism. Good on SCS for listening to the community on this one and following through on making things right!
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri

Return to “General discussion about the game”