Detour sabotages urgent heavy cargo job [NOT A BUG]

Jens Lyn IV

Detour sabotages urgent heavy cargo job [NOT A BUG]

#1 Post by Jens Lyn IV » 30 Jun 2022 21:34

Quick job, urgent heavy haul Redding-Truckee, impossible to complete on time because of detour at I-5/I-80 interchange.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Code: Select all

Road block location: (sec-0028-0004);-111614;8.65641;-15880.3;-1.05057;-0.0524446
game.log.txt

Windows 10 x64 21H1
jarryed

Re: Detour sabotages urgent heavy cargo job

#2 Post by jarryed » 30 Jun 2022 21:36

I would say this is not a bug.

This happens in real life. Just because you run across a detour does not mean that you will be able to complete the job on time.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Jens Lyn IV

#3 Post by Jens Lyn IV » 30 Jun 2022 21:41

IIRC SCS stated it should still be possible to deliver on time, can't for the life of me remember where I read that though; been a long time now since detours were added...
jarryed

#4 Post by jarryed » 30 Jun 2022 21:46

From the 1.33 Open Beta blog page it says:

"The goal of this feature is to introduce a bit of uncertainty into planning of your routes. The world in our games tends to be very predictable, while in reality the truck driver cannot take everything for granted. We wanted our players to have to improvise occasionally, and hence the concept of detours was born.

From time to time you'll find the road ahead of you blocked, maybe with state police waving you to go a different way, forcing you to remap your route. Or to search your memory for another option to reach your destination if you're so hardcore that you do not use the GPS. There'll always be a guaranteed way to deliver your cargo. But sometimes it can take more time than you'd be comfortable with, or move you away from the gas stations where you planned to refuel and get some rest. Detours are adding some adrenaline to the driver's job."

That doesn't sound like a guarantee to me that you will be on time, just that there is a guarantee that you can get to the delivery location.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Optional Features

#5 Post by Optional Features » 30 Jun 2022 21:53

Enable the developer console. Hit 0, move the camera past the detour, and ctrl-f9.

Or better yet, turn detours off.

But agreed with the others, this isn't a bug.
Jens Lyn IV

#6 Post by Jens Lyn IV » 30 Jun 2022 21:57

I normally have detours disabled, but I turned them all the way up for the beta to test how well the work now.

From the 1.33 discussion thread:
Mohegan13 wrote: 11 Dec 2018 20:20Due to the speed limits in this game, you should never actually be late.

It's already been mentioned that you should check the RA to make sure it is sending you a good alternate route. If you know of any route with detour that does cause you to be late you should post it so we can check it.
natvander wrote: 11 Dec 2018 20:36There’s definitely a few detours where you may be late under certain circumstances . I had an express load to Ontario via US 20 which, without the detour, would have left me with a little under two hours to spare for both the deadline and rest break. A detour at Vale required a several hundred mile detour (backtracking all the way to Burns and rerouting via US 95) and a rest stop and I ended up around 12-13 hours late.
Mixed messages, but it does look like detours are in fact allowed to prevent timely delivery.

Would be nice if a developer could clarify here, don't want to spam the bug forum.
jarryed

#7 Post by jarryed » 30 Jun 2022 22:06

Mohegan13 isn't a developer only a beta tester/forum moderator. They can't speak for SCS.

Now what natvander said would hold more weight because they are employed by SCS.

Return to “Bugs 1.45”