Odd (incorrect?) behaviour of truckpaint shader on animated models

Sk3leCreeper

Odd (incorrect?) behaviour of truckpaint shader on animated models

#1 Post by Sk3leCreeper » 01 Jul 2022 00:43

This is going to be a bit long but needs it to be covered in detail.
While making the new AI garbage truck driveable as a player truck I came across a strange behavior of the truckpaint shader on an animated part, the main lift arms. On only the parts which are a part of the animated windows model(which is what I am piggybacking to use for an exterior animation, defined in cabin definitions) the mask texture specified inside of any paintjob definition is not used, and instead the part will only use the base color as specified in that paintjob def. The same occurs with colormask enabled in a paintjob def. I have screenshots displaying the behaviors below and there will be 4 game.log files for each of the 4 cases I tested, starting from game fully quit to fully quitting before doing the next one, on a profile with no active mods besides the garbage truck.

Windows 10 64bit
Version 1.45.0.54s
Always reproducible

Animated(Windows Model), no .colormask flavor

game.log : https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... me.log.txt

Setup in blender

[ external image ]
In game with a paintjob that has an airbrush texture, the arms(animated model) do not use the texture like the rest of the truck, only base color(white)
[ external image ]

In game with a colormask paintjob, colors on the color picker represent which model parts are on which colors of the mask texture; the arms use the base color even though they should be green
[ external image ]

Non-Animated(Cabin Model), no .colormask flavor

game.log: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... me.log.txt

Setup in blender
[ external image ]

In game with a paintjob that has an airbrush texture, the arms(cabin) this time use the texture, but the rest of the animated parts(hydraulics and forks) still use only base color(white)
[ external image ]

In game with a colormask paintjob, colors on the color picker represent which model parts are on which colors of the mask texture; the arms use the correct color but the rest of the animated parts use the base color(white)
[ external image ]

It gets stranger if I enable the .colormask shader flavor inside of Blender and set it to the texture I used for the custom colored paintjob (separate_paint in the screenshots) the animated parts used that texture, which should not affect the final result in game if I recall, and no response to changing the mask colors in-game or the base color.

Animated(Windows Model), .colormask enabled and set to separate_paint texture in blender

Setup in blender
[ external image ]

In game with a paintjob that has an airbrush texture, the arms use the color of the texture/mask attributes that is set in the blender tools
[ external image ]

In game with a colormask paintjob, colors on the color picker represent which model parts are on which colors of the mask texture; I have changed the green slightly to show that the arms are not affected. They should be a desaturated green but are still the pure bright green.
[ external image ]

Non-Animated(Cabin Model), .colormask enabled and set to separate_paint texture in blender

Setup in blender
[ external image ]

In game with a paintjob that has an airbrush texture, the arms use the texture correctly but the other animated parts have the same behaviour of using the colormask texture which should not affect the in-game result.
[ external image ]

In game with a colormask paintjob, colors on the color picker represent which model parts are on which colors of the mask texture; I have changed the green slightly to show that this time the arms are affected, with the other animated parts being unchanged.
[ external image ]

The main issues happen once the geometry becomes animated and the material is truckpaint.skinned.

Return to “Bugs 1.45”