ATS 1.45 Discussion

Jens Lyn IV

Re: ATS 1.45 Open Beta Discussion

#331 Post by Jens Lyn IV » 01 Jul 2022 16:25

Some feedback after testing 1.45 for a few days:
  • Engine sounds are still pretty bad in general
    • All engines go completely silent when releasing the throttle
    • Many engine sound samples are poorly synced with one another; the result is the engine sounds like it's at two different RPM at the same time
    • The pitch of many engine sound samples isn't properly clamped to engine RPM, meaning any given change in RPM doesn't result in a matching change in sound pitch. Come on SCS, this is basic stuff!
    • Other sounds that should vary in pitch aren't, e.g. the tyre hum which fades in abrubtly above 40 MPH and then sounds almost the same at every speed instead of the pitch increasing linearly with forward speed
  • The now-not-so-new-anymore adaptive automatic transmission behaviour is still really weird
    • Except when losing speed climbing a hill, kickdown is almost always counterproductive, often immediately shifting back into an even higher gear than before applying full throttle.
    • None of the automatic transmission modes are appropriate for heavy haul and/or underpowered trucks, skipping way too many gears at higher speeds.
Bedavd

#332 Post by Bedavd » 01 Jul 2022 17:13

I reallllllllllllly like the MWM depot.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Carfreak200

#333 Post by Carfreak200 » 01 Jul 2022 17:17

@Jens Lyn IV, while valid complaints, none of the things you just talked about claimed to be addressed in 1.45. I suggest putting those issues in a different thread
Best Free ATS Mods viewtopic.php?t=317006

Life's too Short to Drive Boring Trucks

Current Garage:
  • Rezbilt 389 (Allen Rezbilt)
  • Freightliner Classic XL (BSA)
  • Peterbilt 379X (Chief86)
Tristman

#334 Post by Tristman » 01 Jul 2022 17:41

Bedavd wrote: 01 Jul 2022 17:13 I reallllllllllllly like the MWM depot.
It's the height difference between the two levels, isn't it? :)
flight50

#335 Post by flight50 » 01 Jul 2022 18:24

Bedavd wrote: 01 Jul 2022 17:13 I reallllllllllllly like the MWM depot.
I tried to like it. I jumped in the beta late last night when I was already sleepy. I was coming from Salem on I-84 via US-26 to US-14 thru YS. I got to the tunnel just outside of Cody, feel asleep behind my wheel (literally), hit the tunnel entrance and overturned the truck. I was on WoT so I can't rest the truck, smh, lol. I lost the load and got reset to Riverton. I soooo wanted to see the the new Waste Management company. I'll try again tonight. I love the skin for it. I think its my favorite new company skin then the Sweet Beets one.

I think this new Waste Management should get in 1.46 public in at least one city in every state honestly. For 1.45, at least the surrounding states as the bare minimum we should get 18 Wheels and MWM. MWM and 18 Wheels garage are depots that should be wide spread. A few others like the gas and electric company should also be wide spread. Change the name and rebrand if necessary. We need the new industry widespread though. The company itself can change up.
gaillard

#336 Post by gaillard » 01 Jul 2022 18:35

Jens Lyn IV wrote: 01 Jul 2022 16:25 Some feedback after testing 1.45 for a few days:
  • Engine sounds are still pretty bad in general
    • All engines go completely silent when releasing the throttle
    • Many engine sound samples are poorly synced with one another; the result is the engine sounds like it's at two different RPM at the same time
    • The pitch of many engine sound samples isn't properly clamped to engine RPM, meaning any given change in RPM doesn't result in a matching change in sound pitch. Come on SCS, this is basic stuff!
    • Other sounds that should vary in pitch aren't, e.g. the tyre hum which fades in abrubtly above 40 MPH and then sounds almost the same at every speed instead of the pitch increasing linearly with forward speed
  • The now-not-so-new-anymore adaptive automatic transmission behaviour is still really weird
    • Except when losing speed climbing a hill, kickdown is almost always counterproductive, often immediately shifting back into an even higher gear than before applying full throttle.
    • None of the automatic transmission modes are appropriate for heavy haul and/or underpowered trucks, skipping way too many gears at higher speeds.
We are all avidly waiting for your mod that corrects all this, and more! I am, at least.
Jens Lyn IV

#337 Post by Jens Lyn IV » 01 Jul 2022 20:13

Kriechbaum's sound mods are legendary at this point and I'm happy to use them. It'd be a bit silly to use mods during the open beta, though - I want to make sure any bug reports I file are valid.

As for the transmission behaviour, it's not possible to change via mods anymore because the two configurable variables involved were deprecated. Specifically, it used to be possible to specify different power bands in low and high gears, but now a single variable is used for all gears instead.
Bedavd

#338 Post by Bedavd » 01 Jul 2022 21:39

@Tristman Lol you’ve got me

@flight50 I hope you can get there. Night driving in ATS specifically has been making me almost fall asleep behind the gamepad too lol. The depot is great!
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
eonellivlem

#339 Post by eonellivlem » 02 Jul 2022 12:14

On the subject of the gas station re-branding, what i find off is that nobody asked for this and it is in-fact a step back from the realism/immersion factor. This is something SCS are doing to cover themselves in-case of any legal action, which i fully understand. However, to add it on the list of things coming with this update is a bit disingenuous. Couldn't this of just come to the main branch as a patch.
What i'm trying to say is when things come in an update it means its good, beneficial to the game, this is the opposite, and adding it to the update list on the blog just looks like filler.
flight50

#340 Post by flight50 » 02 Jul 2022 12:27

^Depends on how you look at it. There are multiple angles to attach this. Means good/beneficial? The alternate is that someone from those companies did say something to SCS and they ignored it.....lawsuit. I'm sure SCS lawyers have told them about ATS companies awhile back and there is a priority list to address things. I'd expect Home Store, Wallbert and Charged to get changed up too. For Charged, the name is legit but the building just might have to change up. SCS might address both tough. So the benefit is that we can continue to get content without unnecessary delays. So people did ask for new companies and rebranding of prefabs into new companies. So we kinda did ask in theory. I like others, would have preferred the new plus the old but that is only to get more variety in. As long as more gets piled in sooner than later, this change won't be that bad.

We just need more gas stations to be deliverable if SCS is going back and revisiting these now. We should get just as many tanker jobs as any other trailer job that spawns in the game. This particular industry is getting a bit deeper to not do more delivers. Especially when Texas comes as its microsite list refineries, oil field services and oil sites. I'd assume we are looking at all new depots/prefabs to further deepen the oil/gas industry. Must we wait to Texas drops in order to get an economy reset for oil/gas? Is that when more gas station deliveries come in mind? We have no clue but it would be nice.

Return to “General discussion about the game”