Montana Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#1901 Post by flight50 » 01 Jul 2022 22:49

If its a basic regular town, not for me. I'd plan to make a trip to spend money on a vacation to YS or Yosemite. I won't be a tourist to a scenic city in ATS. Most people don't even know of the scenic cities in ATS but they know tourist national parks in ATS.
oldmanclippy

#1902 Post by oldmanclippy » 01 Jul 2022 22:53

flight50 wrote: 01 Jul 2022 22:42 We obviously have 2 different definitions for the words touristic and scenic. They are not interchangeable words for me. Scenic cities (non functioning) is not touristic for me. It's filler to take up space while touristic sites are the sites like YS, Yomite, Grand Canyon, RMNP, etc.

@oldmanclippy 18 Wheels is West of MWM in Cody.
I more so meant that I hadn't delivered to or from the company to see what the prefab is like up close.

Scenic cities in ATS are not touristy. They're there for realism, so that when I travel from Sheridan to Cody I don't get pulled out of immersion by wondering where the heck Greybull went. Also a game that was only about traveling between marked cities with nothing in between would feel like a theme park.

Touristy is Going-to-the-Sun. Montana would feel just as realistic without it, but not as touristy without it. Wyoming feels the same level of touristy with or without Greybull. But less theme-parky with it than without it.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Optional Features

#1903 Post by Optional Features » 01 Jul 2022 22:59

flight50 wrote: 01 Jul 2022 22:49 If its a basic regular town, not for me. I'd plan to make a trip to spend money on a vacation to YS or Yosemite. I won't be a tourist to a scenic city in ATS. Most people don't even know of the scenic cities in ATS but they know tourist national parks in ATS.
Most people have heard of these famous places for sure, but between that place and the airport, they are likely to stop along the way and maybe grab some food or gas. It might not be a destination, but it's still tourism. That's how many businesses in small towns make income: people passing through to eat, buy some merchandise, and carry on.

Take some of the small town downtowns we have in the game. Those fill space, yes, but they also contribute to the game world as scenery and something we cannot interact with to look at.

A grain elevator or warehouse in the same town, if functional, serves as a place to do business in game and in real life. If the warehouse or elevator is just scenery, it's part of what helps a small town keep its realistic vibe, but it doesn't participate in the game's industrial economy.

Maybe that isn't tourism for you, but I personally like grain elevators and have stopped on long drives to look more closely at them. But I didn't have a load of pallets to drop off.

The majority of the game world is places to look at, not places to interact with.
Tristman

#1904 Post by Tristman » 01 Jul 2022 23:13

seriousmods wrote: 01 Jul 2022 22:27 Let me ask a question to which I don't know the answer. In the state of Wyoming (and Colorado, too), what percentage of deliverable companies were prefabs not used anywhere else in the map?
Colorado, 15 out of 85 prefabs were brand new.
Wyoming, 14 out of 75 prefabs were brand new (including companies in Cody).

So around 18-19% was new.

Idaho had 13 out of 70 brand new, even though it didn’t introduce any new companies. The amount has been around the same for the last few years, so Montana and Texas will have to show an increase in the amount of new prefabs used in order to tell whether there is more focus on industry prefabs.

I am interested to know what this ETS1 prefab is that you keep mentioning..
Optional Features

#1905 Post by Optional Features » 01 Jul 2022 23:43

Tristman wrote: 01 Jul 2022 23:13 Colorado, 15 out of 85 prefabs were brand new.
Wyoming, 14 out of 75 prefabs were brand new (including companies in Cody).

So around 18-19% was new.

Idaho had 13 out of 70 brand new, even though it didn’t introduce any new companies. The amount has been around the same for the last few years, so Montana and Texas will have to show an increase in the amount of new prefabs used in order to tell whether there is more focus on industry prefabs.

I am interested to know what this ETS1 prefab is that you keep mentioning..
Excellent info: thanks!

I believe, maybe incorrectly, that this warehouse dates back to at least early ETS2 and possible ETS1 (I don't believe basic prefabs changed between games?) I believe the larger garages also are ETS sourced and the animated log loader at many a sawmill dates back to Extreme Trucker.

[ external image ]
fra_ba

#1906 Post by fra_ba » 02 Jul 2022 11:03

This one dates back to Scandinavia dlc but it has been used in France dlc too and even in Corsica update patch. Doubt it is early ETS2 prefab since base map depots don't have such quality textures. Another one is print factory in base map ATS which was used as meat processing plant in Scandinavia dlc.
Tristman

#1907 Post by Tristman » 02 Jul 2022 12:05

I think it might be the Drekkar Trans depot from the Scandinavia DLC, but with updated textures. I don't own ETS2, so I have to go by wiki images.
flight50

#1908 Post by flight50 » 02 Jul 2022 12:15

^That's even worse. ETS2 gets meat processing but SCS so far has refused to add it for ATS's industry for livestock. At one point, Pavel said he'll just go for it. Then he backed out for whatever reason. Maybe he wanted to save it for Texas to deepen the industry there but at this point, I wouldn't hold my breath. For a game that only presents depots with PEGI 3 in mind that doesn't have animations inside for facilities, I don't get it how one game is fine getting it, but the other isn't. The amount of people eyeballing this game because of that particular depot is less than 1% I bet. Anything dropped off or picked up doesn't show anything beyond a truck pulling in and out of the depot. Sometimes I think Pavel makes issues of things that are non factors honestly.

With a little more research himself, he can reassure himself. Same issue happened with cabin accessories until they researched enough and/or asked the right questions to their advisors that are North American truckers that do help them along the way. We know Montana's industry's but we don't know beyond that. Montana does address industries and company's but it'll remain to be seen what new cargoes comes. New cargoes can come in more force with non open deck cargo though. Def file cargo are the easiest to incorporate but we aren't really getting that across the board either. There is starting to be enough chatter on this forum about ATS ICCs though so I honestly think we are getting noticed. We just have to remain persistent positively.
Tristman

#1909 Post by Tristman » 02 Jul 2022 13:02

When did they ever speak so openly about not wanting to add a meat processing plant? I thought it was all just speculation from the forum.
flight50 wrote: 02 Jul 2022 12:15 Def file cargo are the easiest to incorporate but we aren't really getting that across the board either.
Actually I found lemonade and buttermilk in the game files. :D
I also found out only today that IBC containers are a cargo in the game.
flight50

#1910 Post by flight50 » 02 Jul 2022 14:41

Not wanting to add and worried about adding is too different things. I'm not saying Pavel said he won't, he just hasn't to date. Its not speculation though, its per what he said on a stream. I'd have to find the video in which he talked about the livestock industry though as it was a comment that someone asked on the stream and Pavel responded. I can't remember if it was before or after Colorado's release. Colorado's blog mentioned livestock/cattle but we didn't actually get it until Wyoming. But trying to find that video I'm thinking of when Pavel said he'll just have to take a chance is like finding a needle in the haystack. I don't remember the exact time frame it was said though.

Return to “General discussion about the game”