SCS General Discussion Thread

angrybirdseller

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#17881 Post by angrybirdseller » 02 Jul 2022 06:39

I have been playing ETS2 and GTS along with ETS2 I have seen evolution and improvements made in both games.

ETS2 in Oct 2013 to 2022cthe difference in visuals and quality are night and day. Some requests been asked for years buy we understand its very difficult to implement it at times with out causing problems.

Been on fourm for years seen users go crazy when when ETS2 and ATS did way with 32bit for future updates to HDR implementation some did not like saturation on screen at certain times of day. SCS is going to br cautious at times implementating new features so it does not break the game for existing users.
SabR

#17882 Post by SabR » 02 Jul 2022 07:48

seriousmods wrote: 02 Jul 2022 04:44 Blackberry was the top phone until iPhone came along: then it basically became irrelevant. Horses were the primary form of transit until Henry Ford, then that all turned on its head.
Neither iPhones nor Ford's first car was released without considerable development time?
So why are you so impatient to give SCS the time to upgrade their game engine?

If a game came out that supported unlimited size satellite data mapping, mod script based features, and had equal or better graphics, I think SCS would struggle to compete.
Yes they would struggle, but you know it as well, the gaming companies which would risk such huge investments (time & money) would certainly not go the "Truck Sim" way.
They have grown comfortable with the current state of affairs....
How are you so certain about this that you go all across threads mentioning this?
Also, re: splitting trailers. If SCS got it right, we wouldn't be towing doubles to customers. We would have the ability to upgrade a yard to a terminal with a warehouse and haul goods between that terminal and another.

Triples and doubles would be built in the yard, hauled to the next terminal, then broken up. Other trucks theoretically would complete the deliveries using those trailers or reloading those cargoes into other trailers.

Yard tractors would also become part of the game.
Valid wish!
But time & again you fail to understand, ETS2 & ATS were "not" made with such strategies from ground up. ETS2, with its monotonous gameplay of driving from A to B got famous with the 80's & 90's kids :mrgreen: & SCS saw that as an opportunity to use the same gameplay base for the American markets. To bring new features like what you have mentioned would need a lot of arrangements that none of us on the outside know. These arrangements would need time & you seem to want them yesterday.

You compare these two with FS games, but FS was purpose build with these features, else their games wouldn't sell.
Tell me this, does FS22 has maps equivalent to what ATS has? Obviously not! Their requirements are fulfilled with an imaginary game world with farms & villages.

To sum it up, relax, SCS started pushing gameplay features in the last few updates, enjoy those & the more to come and when you see fit voice your wishes properly.
Lombra

#17883 Post by Lombra » 02 Jul 2022 08:54

seriousmods wrote: 02 Jul 2022 04:44 If a game came out that supported unlimited size satellite data mapping, mod script based features, and had equal or better graphics, I think SCS would struggle to compete.
Unless you also add "significant content/feature parity", I disagree.

Pretty big "if", don't you think?
Ludo Diabolo

#17884 Post by Ludo Diabolo » 02 Jul 2022 09:13

It is so simple and a request that has been made many times, but never realized.

There's not much to get the game back on track and boosted, many talk about Livrais from point A to point B have and ok ?

Well even that SCS did it wrong in my opinion, if for you it's enough to just take a truck, a trailer, some conch and deliver it anywhere on the map just to say drive, and see some scenery it's a bit frustrating, and you're satisfied with little in life ....

For example, do you find it amusing to have a fuel tank hung up and have to go and unload it on a station platform?

Or transporting livestock and unloading it in a Karfoor supermarket?

During the journey the cattle went from being cattle to being sausages by magic?

That's what I'm getting at, and that's where it hurts ;) I now only do reefer, whether it's ATS or ETS2, because it's the most respected and best adapted cargoes in the game, the rest can be sat on and it's a shame...
ETS2:promods + Middle-East Add-On + TGS / ATS:promods Canada

SORRY MY ENGLISH, I'M FRENCH.
Optional Features

#17885 Post by Optional Features » 02 Jul 2022 09:20

@SabR How much development time does it take to make an attacher joint attach two or more things?

How much development time does it take to remove the F7 limitation for loaded trailers so that we can use the built in sliding axle system SCS created, then made non functional with restrictions?

How much development time does it take to take the walk camera outside the shop or give the dev console camera a fixed height?

Those are three feature requests, and none of those should theoretically take an amount of time longer than what's necessary to write the code.

SCS has had plenty of time. Over 10 years with ETS2, 7 or so with ATS, and yet you think they need more time? 10 years from now, you'll be saying the same thing. More time! More time! More time!

How much more time to turn existing 3D models into cargo? How much more time to make trailers drop off at the right part of a delivery spot (lowboys in an open area, tankers at a fill port, hoppers at a grain pit)? How much more time to move the camera around inside the sleeper? How much more time to turn warehouses into drops rather than scenery?

I think at a certain point maybe we have to realize things aren't coming unless we raise our standards and ask why they aren't here. There has been plenty of time to implement these things if they were coming. It doesn't appear they are coming, not if we continue to accept maps with mostly copied delivery prefabs and the concept of "more time" as a repetitive cycle.

I mention FS in these discussions because that is a game built by a similarly sized developer with similar resources and a modding community that is many times the size. And from that modding community we get features that the game developer looks at and realizes they want to include for themselves. From that community, we get maps that are based on true to life places, at scale, with satellite data terrain that we can interact with. From that community, we get mods we can enjoy for years and convert and use again and again.

And then I look at these games and see a much larger map, although at a much smaller scale, where I can do nothing but look at the pretty buildings and drop off invisible cargo at the same delivery prefab that someone who played original California would have dropped off at. I look at my truck garage where I can't see anything I own despite having a bay for every truck. I look at my driver roster of people I cannot see or interact with in any way. I look at my player character which looks nothing like my profile pic and hasn't blinked his eyes or turned his head in seven years. And I wonder: is there anything that can improve? Is there any possibility some of the things that make other games enjoyable, namely the freedom to make one's own decisions, could be implemented here? Is there any chance that I could do more than mindlessly drive on a perfectly smooth road in light traffic on a sunny day between a white box and a green box?

And then I talk to the SCS fanbase and the occasional dev and realize the answer is a resounding no. This is as good as it's going to get.

#bestcommunityever
Wolfi
Beta tester

#17886 Post by Wolfi » 02 Jul 2022 10:15

seriousmods wrote: 02 Jul 2022 09:20 And then I talk to the SCS fanbase and the occasional dev and realize the answer is a resounding no. This is as good as it's going to get.
And yet, even though as you claim you realize the game will never be what you want it to be, you're still here, clearly wasting your time, posting suggestions that will never see the light of day. Why?
Don't you have better things to do? Like I dunno, playing the games you praise for all the features you love, like Farm Sim?
I'm not trying to tell you to go away. I'm just trying to understand why are you wasting time on a game, that you clearly don't enjoy and that you KNOW will never change...
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Seerman

#17887 Post by Seerman » 02 Jul 2022 10:40

I'm sure no one here will mind that when loading / unloading trailers, the cutscene of these processes is shown.
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

#17888 Post by xyzan » 02 Jul 2022 10:50

I would not mind, as long as I can switch that option off in game menu :D

What I'm missing is some logistic - but it requires a multi drop. I would have to plan when, and what I'm loading, so I won't get overloaded, so I'm still having space in trailer to load, and I can get in time to the target. That, would be a game changer for me. And probably last must have feature I can think about now.
Trucker_71

#17889 Post by Trucker_71 » 02 Jul 2022 11:08

As a retired former driver on the road for many years, I'm enjoying the hell out of these games jusrt as they. Any improvements are a bonus! 🙂
PBandJ

#17890 Post by PBandJ » 02 Jul 2022 11:16

I am right there with you Trucker_71, over 2500 hours and still enjoying it. New improvements always welcome though....:)

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”