SCS General Discussion Thread

gaillard

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#17891 Post by gaillard » 02 Jul 2022 12:15

#metoo
Not an ex-trucker, but in the club of "I'll take another serving of the same, please". Any new flavor welcome.

Two hours of play every day I'm home (16:00-18:00), and don't intent to stop. Always offline. No other driver anymore. Me, my truck (a single one, no owned trailer), and the roads. Not using gadgets like windows, cables, multiple trailers, detours or unfair weather. Fine since they're optional. Yet I have all DLC's. Almost no Mod, no WoT.
I never noticed any difference in sound or lighting with the "big" changes. Was happy before, still am though.
Those who have no demands should be able to speak too.

Now, excuse-me, I have Austria unfinished. The 100%, you understand.
Polarlicht

#17892 Post by Polarlicht » 02 Jul 2022 13:32

Almost 2300h and enjoy it most of the time. Always need something new, though!
pigbrother

#17893 Post by pigbrother » 02 Jul 2022 14:52

Not very proud of myself but it is what it is. Haven't play in one month, tho, it's not a job. :lol:
Untitled-1.jpg
I have approximate knowledge of many things
rookie_one

#17894 Post by rookie_one » 02 Jul 2022 15:36

Same, although I restarted playing recently.

But I had to slack for a while, had too much stuff to take care of
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here
Shiva

#17895 Post by Shiva » 02 Jul 2022 16:11

I do <3 both games, but I can take breaks that last a week, to even close half a year.
There are other games where I have taken breaks of several years.

Multi pick up / multi drops, that I do wish for. As I still wish for Rigids + optional trailers.

I do like how SCS gets better at mapping, as do the map mod makers.
SCS is better at optimizing. Map mods can have quite interesting routes.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
SabR

#17896 Post by SabR » 02 Jul 2022 16:31

seriousmods wrote: 02 Jul 2022 09:20 @SabR How much development time does it take to make an attacher joint attach two or more things?

How much development time does it take to remove the F7 limitation for loaded trailers so that we can use the built in sliding axle system SCS created, then made non functional with restrictions?

How much development time does it take to take the walk camera outside the shop or give the dev console camera a fixed height?

Those are three feature requests, and none of those should theoretically take an amount of time longer than what's necessary to write the code.
You think coding is as easy as you wrote those 4-5 lines? Didn't people with software development background tell you in other topics that creating something from scratch is far easier than to dive in & correct/add to old code? Isn't that what SCS are doing? You think just removing a certain limitation would automatically enable other related stuff? :face_palm:
SCS has had plenty of time. Over 10 years with ETS2, 7 or so with ATS, and yet you think they need more time? 10 years from now, you'll be saying the same thing. More time! More time! More time!

How much more time to turn existing 3D models into cargo? How much more time to make trailers drop off at the right part of a delivery spot (lowboys in an open area, tankers at a fill port, hoppers at a grain pit)? How much more time to move the camera around inside the sleeper? How much more time to turn warehouses into drops rather than scenery?
10 years from now? Dude, I'm stopping 10 minutes from now (puts the timer on & types fast.. blazing fast) :lol:
No point in having a discussion with some one stubborn.

As I said in my previous post, neither ETS2 nor ATS were built with the mindset of having these features from the get go. Features are getting built, tested & released along the way. Hence we see so many patches for these two games while other games milk players for the same, your beloved FS22 being one example of it. Maybe, the pace at which we get gameplay features might pick up once SCS get their engines upgraded to what they want & then focus on gameplay features.

Don't know if you know this but dirt was tested on DX9 years ago & we still await it, why? Cause most likely its much easier to implement it with good results on DX11/DX12 api than on DX9. The upgrade to DX12 & prolly Vulkan opens up more possibilities for them, hence the move.

You can't wait for it then it's something you need to fix on your side not the other way around.
I think at a certain point maybe we have to realize things aren't coming unless we raise our standards and ask why they aren't here. There has been plenty of time to implement these things if they were coming. It doesn't appear they are coming, not if we continue to accept maps with mostly copied delivery prefabs and the concept of "more time" as a repetitive cycle.
(Dayum, 5 mins left... :P)
Just coz SCS doesn't share what's going on behind the scenes doesn't mean things aren't cooking. How many times do we have to share this with you?
You want to sing the song that "none" of our requested features would see the daylight, you go ahead & sing it to your heart's content, I'm just going to turn off the radio. My hopes are still intact that we'd get gameplay features, maybe not what I want specifically but the most desired by community, the community you so like to mock.

(Times Up, can't reply to the remainder part of your post) Sorry ;)
Last edited by SabR on 02 Jul 2022 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
SabR

#17897 Post by SabR » 02 Jul 2022 16:34

pigbrother wrote: 02 Jul 2022 14:52 Not very proud of myself but it is what it is. Haven't play in one month, tho, it's not a job. :lol:

Untitled-1.jpg
I envy you :D

2295 hours in ETS2 & 925 in ATS. I know, no cookies for me :|
I too take breaks from not only SCS games but my entire Steam library. Been away from ETS2 for far too long that my discord friends noticed :lol:. Too much time spent in America (ATS & GTA V Online) :P
oldmanclippy

#17898 Post by oldmanclippy » 02 Jul 2022 17:05

I fall somewhere in the middle between being satisfied and unsatisfied. SCS has the talent, passion, and skill to keep upping their game with map and truck design. But it's undeniable that industries, companies, and cargo have fallen behind in ATS compared to ETS2 ever since Oregon. Montana is finally addressing that, but for a long time the only thing we got was more maps and more trucks. More of the same can be good when the same is good, which it is. The foundation of ETS2 and ATS is rock solid and there's a reason why every other simulation game gets compared to ETS2 and ATS when people complain about those games. Go read steam reviews for any simulation game and you'll find people complaining that the quality is low compared to SCS games. But more of the same combined with more of the new is much better.

The potential that these games have to be even better is what keeps people like seriousmods passionate about making the games better. You think they'd criticize the games so much if they didn't love them? You can love something and still want it to be better, especially when you know it can be better. SCS has proven that they have what it takes to take the games to the next level, but they haven't made that jump yet. And there's nothing publicly announced that would take them to the next level, so it's understandable that when some people say "just wait, be patient, there will be improvements", others get frustrated because the evidence is lacking. Yes, 2012 ETS2 to 2022 ETS2 and 2016 ATS to 2022 ATS are big improvements in terms of maps, visuals, and trucks. I can only speak to 2015 ETS2 since that's when I started, but by and large the gameplay is fundamentally the same in 2022. Game changing improvements have been few and far between. And that's OK if that's what SCS is going for, but if people are looking for the game changers then you can't blame them for getting frustrated when those game changers don't come.

I also think it's just as counterproductive to make excuses for why SCS "can't" do something, as it is for people to make unreasonable complaints. Almost any improvement *can* be made, it's just whether or not SCS is willing to put the time and resources towards making it happen. And part of that calculus is figuring out how many people would want that improvement, to the point where it would make them spend more money on DLCs in the future as a result of getting said improvement. In order for SCS to have that information, people have to be vocal about it. Why do these forums exist if not for feedback and discussion? It doesn't help SCS or the community for us to just sit around and exclusively talk about the things we like about the games. I could talk about that for hours and hours on end because there's so many things I like about the games, but that doesn't produce results. SCS was gonna leave out Yellowstone, so the community got vocal and SCS added it before release and finished it off with 1.45. ATS hasn't gotten many new industries, companies, or cargo since Oregon, so the community has steadily gotten more vocal about it and now SCS is adding more companies and industries with Montana. SCS reads and listens to feedback clearly, employees are on here all the time and they do care and want to make the game better. They can't do that if we don't tell them what we want. Yes, sometimes that can get annoying to hear the same complaints over and over again from some people, but at the end of the day those people are making those complaints because they care deeply about the games and want them to improve. Otherwise they wouldn't be here day in and day out talking about the games.

I sometimes butt heads with the more vocally negative people here and sometimes they get on my nerves, but at the end of the day I would still prefer them to be here making their voices heard and adding to the discussion.

Me, I want improvements that make the world feel more alive and real. Variable traffic, variable road conditions, inclement weather, LTL/multidrop, those would all be game changers. I couldn't care less about getting out of the truck and doing tedious inspections and preparations, or pushing buttons with the mouse/camera, etc. If it increases tedium, I don't want it. But some do, and those features could be optional so people like me wouldn't have to deal with them. But you've gotta be vocal about what you want so that SCS can try to read the temperature of the community and see what would make the most sense to add to the games next.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
SouthernMan

#17899 Post by SouthernMan » 02 Jul 2022 17:23

100% agreed! As you said, sometimes it gets tiring to see different people demanding the same thing from SCS, but if it's not them to do that, what will this game become? We can't stay here pretending that everything is beautiful, that everything is perfect. I have no problem seeing people harp on the same string, it shows that they love SCS games and want it to improve.

If the criticisms are for the growth of the game, no matter how crazy they are, I don't see any problem. But it seems that some people here are bothered by this... In other words, it looks like it doesn't want the game to improve. But this is my opinion.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
KrysEmlyn

#17900 Post by KrysEmlyn » 02 Jul 2022 17:36

As a player that normally stays to sidelines and quietly plays the game, I'd like to offer my feedback on some of the features that have been added to the game over the years.

Opening Windows:
I wasn't initially sold on this feature when it came out. Over time, I've found it useful when I play. Now I use it when backing trucks up instead of using Camera 5 and when stopping at tollbooths, border crossings, and inspection stations.
I also open the windows at roughly the same temperature ranges that I would in real life when driving. Also, it makes it easier to hear the ambient sounds that exist in the world when the windows are open.

Adaptive Cruise Control:
While this feature is still currently experimental, I'm finding it very useful as I don't need to hit the brakes as often when vehicles ahead of me slow down and I can keep pace with them as their speeds change.
SCS just needs to adjust its sensitivity in regards to oncoming traffic and traffic that is a certain distance ahead of you. The sudden speed changes by the ACC in these cases are not wanted.
The feature keeps the game more playable for me as a disabled player (yes, autism is considered a disability).

Detours:
I don't like being forced off my routes that I have set, but at the same time it allows me to go explore routes that I might not have considered previously.
I'm still working on not getting upset when my delivery is late (which is hard when you have rejection-sensitive dysphoria and actively try to avoid disappointing others, virtual or real).

GPS Voice Navigation:
This was a feature I originally had no intention of using as I don't use voice navigation in real life for the most part. I'm one of those people that can look over a map and plot a route and remember the turns without a GPS.
Unfortunately, this doesn't carry over to games very well for me and I will miss my turns without much notice as I'm enjoying the scenery. So, I drive with the voice navigation on all of the time in both ATS and ETS2.

I'm sure there are other features that I'm using that I'm forgetting, but these are the ones that stand out to me at the moment.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”