The First Custom Animal... kinda

NmanMETA

The First Custom Animal... kinda

#1 Post by NmanMETA » 02 Jul 2022 06:31

I'm happy to report that for the first time since I began this "journey" of sorts last October, a span of time that has seemed to last WAY longer than I'd like to admit, we have successfully loaded the first ever custom animal into Hunting Unlimited 2010.

Now, when I use the term custom animal, I mean that I have successfully managed to load an animal in through the 19th animal slot, and give it a tag that works.

Let's list what I was doing wrong, and who pointed these things out to me:

Texturing paths- when editing the .tobj files, I made a critical yet very simple error; I used notepad to change the paths, which cannot actually be done in notepad. I instead went and downloaded a neat little application called tobjedit, and it worked (better, I think). I figured this out thanks to a response on one of my original posts here, by the user Adyusha, who kindly pointed me in the right direction. While I can't say this was a fix-all, as the .tga icon images still don't appear, it managed to load the "new animal" without crashing.

In this screenshot, we see a similar error to the one we got previously;
[ external image ]

I tried using the .tga format, it didn't work, and neither did the .dds format. I'm still stumped here, I used tobjedit, however I didn't try it straight up through a hex editor (yet), but I will and see if that worked.

So the animal did actually appear when setting up a user mission.
[ external image ]

[ external image ]

The images seen here are of the male coyote, why I chose Africa I don't know, but here he is from a pair of angles. I did change the .dds textures in Paint.NET, and I exported them with the exact options specified by Adyusha, but unfortunately they didn't show up, but each animation works just fine!

In fact...
[ external image ]

[ external image ]

One of my greatest fears is that it'd crash the second I tried to shoot one, but no, I blasted 'er with a 12 gauge pump and to my surprise, it fell like any other animal in the game, gave me the option to tag, was completely taggable, and even showed up in the trophy room. I cannot stress enough, aside from the texturing issues, EVERYTHING went according to plan here- in theory guys, we have a custom animal in Hunting Unlimited 2010. For the 1st time ever, or at least in a long time.

There is a video on YouTube from a familiar face, one Itamar Lourenco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPa4L2PvIgo&t=50s from YEARS ago showcasing what appears to be a polar bear, AND with a separate tag- so this might be the 2nd such mod, and lower quality at this point in time, but rest yourself assured, this will be the first publicly available mod of its sort, and hopefully not the last.

Anywho, coming back to the colorless coyote, there's still a few caveats. Firstly, and very weirdly, when trying to load two of these "coyotes" in a custom mission, it crashes. Every time, and mirroring that, the .def file for the home menu showcase results in a crash every time too, meaning there is still a 1/19 chance of the game not even getting to the main menu on startup. I can however load the female and pup variants of the species, if I only load that particular one, I can't load multiple "coyotes". I have not tried this with other animals yet.

The other thing is, I made explicitly sure to NOT save these trophies, and I recommend that you not do the same; if you do, whatever profile you're using will only be usable with that animal's mod active until you delete that trophy; I don't really care about this profile (hence it's called practicerun), but if you happen to have an all gold vanilla save that you've had for years (surely there's *one* of you out there), I advise you to either back it up, or don't save trophies of modded animals.

The weird thing about this is, when I load freehunt with coyotes active, as the ONLY animal on high population, they actually do spawn multiple, there are 4 males and one female that spawn, and it doesn't crash. And I'm at a bit of a loss as to why they can spawn naturally, like this, but when I do it in a custom mission, it crashes if I do more than one.

We can see the freehunt in these screenshots-
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
(This one uses the nifty little 'cheat animals' cheat which can be found on the cuttingroom floor page for HU2010)

As you can tell, this is still extremely rough and unfinished, I'm not sure if using scripts works on them in custom missions (things like play behavior scripts, attack hunter, flee, feed, etc.) but I did get a couple funny screenshots.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
In these two screenshots, I was comedically reminded that the hunter doesn't actually have collision with the animals in this game, only container/objects, trees, plants, water and the ground stinkin floor; the animals, pun intended, are a different breed 8-)

[ external image ]
*queues sick action shot

Oh but you thought this couldn't get any better? WRONG!
[ external image ]
WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS ABOMINATION!?

[ external image ]
Your nightmares just got scarrier. Okay, it's 2:30 AM and all of the "stupid alarms" in my head are ringing, all I can think of is that "I don't need sleep, I need answers" meme but let's be real, I could use the sleep. Have a good one guys!

-------Update-------
I realized I forgot to do the .mat files for the icons- I did them up in a hex editor, but... every instance in which the icons would appear, the game just crashes. Because it keeps crashing, I can't even look at the console to see what error it's feeding me, it has the .mat files, the .tga textures, and the .tobj paths edited correctly, I'm not sure what more I can do.
WE'RE *THIS* CLOSE!
Adyusha

Re: The First Custom Animal... kinda

#2 Post by Adyusha » 02 Jul 2022 14:48

Hello. Everything works for me. Made a white wolf. It has a separate folder with the model, materials and textures are also not tied to the copied model. Its texture can be repainted in any color and it will not affect the original animal. The icon in the free hunting menu is displayed.
[ external image ]
A little lighter than the original:
[ external image ]

If it helps you figure it out: WhiteWolf.rar
Adyusha

#3 Post by Adyusha » 02 Jul 2022 15:26

As you can tell, this is still extremely rough and unfinished, I'm not sure if using scripts works on them in custom missions (things like play behavior scripts, attack hunter, flee, feed, etc.) but I did get a couple funny screenshots.
All missions created in the editor are located in the missions folder. On the way:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Hunting Unlimited 2010\missions
They have the format name.def. It is enough to copy the mission to the base\challenge folder.
In the challenges.def (base\def).
Example:

def tier11 {
	name:"Tier 12: TEST"
        challenge00:"/challenge/ts_mission_1.def"
        challenge01:"/challenge/ts_mission_2.def"
	challenge02:"/challenge/ts_mission_3.def"

}
NmanMETA

#4 Post by NmanMETA » 02 Jul 2022 22:51

Adyusha wrote: 02 Jul 2022 15:26
All missions created in the editor are located in the missions folder. On the way:

C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Hunting Unlimited 2010\missions
They have the format name.def. It is enough to copy the mission to the base\challenge folder.
In the challenges.def (base\def).
Example:

def tier11 {
	name:"Tier 12: TEST"
        challenge00:"/challenge/ts_mission_1.def"
        challenge01:"/challenge/ts_mission_2.def"
	challenge02:"/challenge/ts_mission_3.def"

}
I figured I could do a 12th mission tier, it even says so (I forget in which file), but seeing that you did this successfully is encouraging.
WE'RE *THIS* CLOSE!
NmanMETA

#5 Post by NmanMETA » 02 Jul 2022 22:55

Quote removed - Don't quote images/code boxes - Rule 2.3

Well I understood that, in fact, that's exactly what I did, everything with the paths to the new model correctly, the coyote has its own folder with its "own" model (which is essentially just the wolf model).

The only liberties I recall taking were that I didn't change animal.mat, which deals with the automat folder; I was informed that the automat folder was mostly for pre-release testing and such, I'm not sure if that was just bad information or what, but I'll be dumping the next few hours into this; I seriously appreciate you!
WE'RE *THIS* CLOSE!

Return to “Hunting Unlimited Series”