Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2741 Post by supersobes » 01 Jul 2022 01:07

Indeed. Havning natvander on the team made such a huge difference in the road signage in ATS. It is much more detailed and accurate than it was before. I've been playing ATS since 2016, and back then, I would have never imagined that the road signage in this game could be the way it is today. And in almost every update, there's always new signs being added to the map and asset list, and I assume most of this is because of the work he has been doing. Sure, there's some issues with some signs in ATS such as misspellings, broken/incorrect formatting, and wrong placement, but when reported properly in the bugs section, the issues usually get addressed rather promptly. Being a beta tester and seeing the innerworkings of how bug reporting works, I can attest that most road signage issues are dealt with in a matter of days and sometimes even hours of the report being entered into the system.
Ryley03d

#2742 Post by Ryley03d » 01 Jul 2022 01:16

Clearview font is present in some irl locations in Arizona. Texas just added it.
Calibuddy99

#2743 Post by Calibuddy99 » 01 Jul 2022 01:30

Clearview is an ugly letter font.
Nothing to say here anymore.
supersobes
Global moderator

#2744 Post by supersobes » 01 Jul 2022 01:50

FHWA Series Highway Gothic definitely looks nicer than Clearview, but seeing as Clearview is still a common sight on many roads in the states that did/do use it, I think it would be great for the authenticity of the game. Despite it being an ugly font and that it's technically deauthorized for use by US Federal Highway Administration, I'd like to see it in game for that bit of extra realism.

As ATS moves east, it will become more common. This map is slightly outdated as some of the blue states have stopped using it since this was drawn, but you get the idea.

[ external image ]
alclark

#2745 Post by alclark » 01 Jul 2022 02:10

Atsguy99 wrote: 30 Jun 2022 18:12 @alclark Why didn't they add that sign on US 50 in the rework?!
Heh, don't ask me, but I figure they probably didn't know about it or see it in their research. There is precedent for those types of signs in the game though...the US-20 sign in Newport, Oregon has the mileage to Boston.

[ external image ]

Real location: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6363482 ... 312!8i6656
And the counterpart in Boston: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3490947 ... 384!8i8192
rbsanford

#2746 Post by rbsanford » 01 Jul 2022 04:12

@alclark, that's neat, I don't remember that being in the game. When was it added?

As for why US 50's sign isn't in the game, yeah, it must have just been overlooked. I think US 6 and I-10 (or maybe I'm thinking of Route 66, which has its western terminus nearby) also have similar signs at their western termini, but I haven't been able to confirm on GMaps, so I might be mistaken. Case in point: unique road signs can be tough to find. This is where the public research department comes in: if anyone knows something kind of obscure that would be interesting in the game, be sure to bring it up before the devs release that area, so there's a better chance of it appearing in the game.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
oldmanclippy

#2747 Post by oldmanclippy » 01 Jul 2022 14:35

Yeah I don't remember seeing the Boston sign in Newport, maybe that's a recent addition? Very cool that it made it in, means that the general concept is on natvander's radar.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Sara

#2748 Post by Sara » 03 Jul 2022 12:19

@rbsanford I've seen the sign since 1.41 when they started adding in the mileage signs. It is though pretty cool seeing that sign on US-20.
beto1912

#2749 Post by beto1912 » 03 Jul 2022 13:39

US-6 in Bishop (Reforma mod) has the eastern terminus sign right after leaving the town to the west. It's really a nice add-on.
Calibuddy99

#2750 Post by Calibuddy99 » 04 Jul 2022 00:21

supersobes wrote: 01 Jul 2022 01:50 FHWA Series Highway Gothic definitely looks nicer than Clearview, but seeing as Clearview is still a common sight on many roads in the states that did/do use it, I think it would be great for the authenticity of the game. Despite it being an ugly font and that it's technically deauthorized for use by US Federal Highway Administration, I'd like to see it in game for that bit of extra realism.

As ATS moves east, it will become more common. This map is slightly outdated as some of the blue states have stopped using it since this was drawn, but you get the idea.

[ external image ]
Yeah, if it's for realism then it is a good idea. I would like to see that, that would be very cool.
Nothing to say here anymore.

Return to “General discussion about the game”