How realistic is it?

VTXcnME

Re: How realistic is it?

#51 Post by VTXcnME » 22 Jun 2022 21:23

seriousmods wrote: 22 Jun 2022 20:25
HRTrucking wrote: 22 Jun 2022 19:57 GIANTS doing better?? Not sure didn't like the farm game. And wouldn't like to buy the whole game again each time, they're a bit like EA Sports.
In terms of player control over their gameplay experience, they are leading by a long shot.

Simple things players want in SCS games aren't even possible with most mods because SCS hasn't allowed it. Many people playing farming sim, maybe even more than 25%, aren't farming at all. They've made the game their own, and are enjoying it.

As for 100% simulation, everything you described would be expressed in scale. So an hour delay would be like 30 seconds in game.

No one wants to sit in virtual traffic for hours, but it would he cool to have a miniaturized version of real life challenges in the game. Same for weather: we don't want a two week snowstorm, but one that lasted a couple game sessions would be amazing.
I have a buddy that plays farm sim22.... doesn't do a lick of farming. He's quarrying the whole dang map with mods that allow him to run construction equipment and a ground texture mod that let him dig into the map.

He's almost made the game into something entirely different.
Optional Features

#52 Post by Optional Features » 22 Jun 2022 21:32

VTXcnME wrote: 22 Jun 2022 21:23 I have a buddy that plays farm sim22.... doesn't do a lick of farming. He's quarrying the whole dang map with mods that allow him to run construction equipment and a ground texture mod that let him dig into the map.

He's almost made the game into something entirely different.
Exactly! In my years playing, I've done mining, logging, construction, some limited trucking, and more. If someone released a train script, I would probably make a map centered around trains.

SCS has completely missed out on these opportunities, even within trucking itself. They have made the equivalent of a coloring book where half of the pages are fully covered in ink and the rest have tiny blank spots. GIANTS basically made a blank notebook and threw it out on the market.

No one can provide a logical explanation why stuff like this isn't possible (I didn't say supported, but possible). Heck, the truck dumper model in the last video was taken out of ATS!

GinXeng

#53 Post by GinXeng » 22 Jun 2022 23:15

There are some games in development that could become something much bigger then ATS/ETS2, or at least give them a run for their money.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8738 ... Simulator/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1327 ... Australia/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8491 ... Simulator/

And a few sandbox games as well with potential, I didn't include FarmSim in the list as that was already in the discussion.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1763 ... ruck_Game/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369 ... The_Wheel/
Optional Features

#54 Post by Optional Features » 22 Jun 2022 23:28

Truck World Australia and Truck and Logistics sim have promise to me. Alaskan Truck Sim was a flop. My Truck Game appears to have reached the end of its development already (with almost nothing to offer), and Motor Town just looks too kiddy.

I'd toss Construction Simulator in there as well. All vocational trucks, but they have a number of official brands that are shared with SCS (MAN, Mack, Kenworth, Scania, and Daf to name a few). Appears there is lowbed/stepdeck hauling in the game; trucks get dirty; the AI traffic and pedestrian system seems alive, and there is plenty to do other than drive.

Initial pics look good as well!

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
GinXeng

#55 Post by GinXeng » 23 Jun 2022 01:00

Construction Simulator looks really good, I didn't know about that one. As for Motor town, don't let the art style fool you, its a really good game. Not only can you drive all sorts of vehicles, when it comes to hauling in trucks, you have to get out and hook the truck and trailer and secure your load with straps if needed, and you can play with 10 players in a server and each play can do their own thing, from driving a bus to cruising in your own personal vehicle picking hitchikers and making money to upgrade your vehicles. As for Alaskan Truck Sim, how can you say it was a flop when it hasn't even been released yet, you cant only judge the game on a preview demo that is incomplete
Optional Features

#56 Post by Optional Features » 23 Jun 2022 03:18

GinXeng wrote: 23 Jun 2022 01:00 Construction Simulator looks really good, I didn't know about that one. As for Motor town, don't let the art style fool you, its a really good game. Not only can you drive all sorts of vehicles, when it comes to hauling in trucks, you have to get out and hook the truck and trailer and secure your load with straps if needed, and you can play with 10 players in a server and each play can do their own thing, from driving a bus to cruising in your own personal vehicle picking hitchikers and making money to upgrade your vehicles. As for Alaskan Truck Sim, how can you say it was a flop when it hasn't even been released yet, you cant only judge the game on a preview demo that is incomplete
Yeah, they just released that trailer earlier today.

Motor Town is probably a solid game, but I tend to play games for some level of photorealism. I can't imagine liking a screenshot taken in that game.

And for the other ATS, the issues that game has won't be fixed in a full release. The whole map needs to be partially or fully remade, and the trucks should be thrown away. They will fix the bugs and release it in all likelihood, and it'll be essentially a trucksim with features but nothing else (like the opposite of SCS ATS).
HRTrucking

#57 Post by HRTrucking » 23 Jun 2022 16:43

Motor Town looks fun to me.

The other stuff you can do in Farm Sim or Construction Simulator I have no real interest in. I have ATS to drive through to the US. Not to pick up garbage or go and qaurry something.

Mud and Snow runner I found the driving nice, but picking up logs and building things mweh not so.

And a waiting time shouldn't be scaled down to 30 seconds. But to 1 or 2 in game hours in a city in front of a dock, to keep the realism.

Just like a closed road for a couple of in game hours on a motorway, nothing to do but listen to the radio and look outside to see if traffic starts moving again.
Gootho717

#58 Post by Gootho717 » 04 Jul 2022 23:23

Max wrote: 10 Jun 2022 13:40 from straight comparisons it should be like 0.05. but its not that funny to play (much like IRL).
values 0.1 to 0.2 are more fun but still interesting (slow progression).
I set my g_income_factor to 0.50 and I am noticing that a lot of my drivers are returning empty more frequently than normal.

Would doing an economy reset (g_force_economy_reset 1) fix this?
[ external image ]
Gootho Transportation - My WoTr Profile
J. Ritter

#59 Post by J. Ritter » 05 Jul 2022 15:21

I wanted to throw my two cents in. I am an avid ATS player, and I also enjoy ETS2. I have also put a lot of time in the Farm Sim series and into Snowrunner. Those games can be a lot of fun. In Farm Sim right now, I am creating a multiplayer homestead with my girlfriend, and we are having a blast, haha. But I digress.

ATS and ETS2 could be more realistic when it comes to loading/strapping cargo, hooking up cables, etc, yes. I would love to see that one day, and who knows what the future holds.

However, when comparing other games, nobody has mentioned where SCS excels in my opinion, and that is the coverage of vast distances, and feeling of being "over the road." Snowrunner and Farm Sim is limited to one map area. Sure, in Snowrunner, you can take a tunnel, and go to a different map area. But, in ATS and ETS2, it is seamless unless it's somewhere requiring a ferry. For instance, If I'm going from Sheridan WY, to Las Cruces, NM, I just get on Interstate 25 and go. Or in ETS2, I can go from Romania to Spain without having to ever stop for a load screen. Now that is a vast distance. And sure, the time it takes is scaled down dramatically, but using the first example, I truly feel like I took a nice long drive across 3 states, especially on updated maps and new DLCs. And yes, there is more to trucking than driving, but let's be honest, that is probably the biggest aspect of the job, especially for OTR trucking. And before anyone says "well you can do that in car," sure. But, I want to drive vast highways while looking down the hood of a big rig (or out the big windows if using a cabover mod, ha!) while trying to get my cargo to the destination on time, and intact. I can step outside and drive a car through pretty scenery. The SCS games gives me the opportunity to do so while enjoying the trucks I love so much.

I think, too, something that helps me out in this department is that I am a roleplayer at heart. Does the game force me to take a 30 minute break? No, but I do usually stop halfway through my day at a truck stop or rest area. I usually use it to "stretch my legs" in real life by getting up, getting a snack, etc. I don't have fatigue on, but I don't drive more than 11 hours in a day. I determine my motivation. Why would my player character pick one load over another, for instance. Am I the head of a huge company? Am I a solo owner op? A company driver? I have different profiles geared toward these things as well.

Stuff like Farm Sim is great for sandbox play, and for simulating some of the tasks associated with operating the equipment. For trucking, it is pretty great for doing local delivery work, since you are limited to a 16x16 map at most if you are using mods. However, I hate how the trucks handle, and though SCS physics may not be great to some, I feel they are miles better than FS, especially when it comes to truck handling. The tractors are okay. Snowrunner has great off-road and mud physics, but once again, on paved surfaces, the trucks are way too sensitive and will skate terribly, unless using a specific gearbox.

So, for me I would love to see some of the features that other games have, but SCS games are the best at producing that "on the road" feeling, and that feeling gets better with each added state. More miles, more journeys.
PBandJ

#60 Post by PBandJ » 05 Jul 2022 15:36

Wow, thank you J.Ritter for actually making a post that makes sense. You not only talk about things you would like to see added that are found in other games, and at the same time state what you enjoy about SCS over these other games. You are way out of character for here lol. Usually it is say what other games have that they like and bash SCS for not having it. It is refreshing indeed! I think everyone on these forums will agree with your thoughts, and want other things to come to SCS games that are available in other games. You handled it in a very mature manner.....:) Hopefully things start showing up over future updates.....:)

Return to “General discussion about the game”