How realistic is it?

Viper28

Re: How realistic is it?

#61 Post by Viper28 » 05 Jul 2022 16:28

PBandJ wrote: 05 Jul 2022 15:36 Wow, thank you J.Ritter for actually making a post that makes sense. You not only talk about things you would like to see added that are found in other games, and at the same time state what you enjoy about SCS over these other games. You are way out of character for here lol. Usually it is say what other games have that they like and bash SCS for not having it. It is refreshing indeed! I think everyone on these forums will agree with your thoughts, and want other things to come to SCS games that are available in other games. You handled it in a very mature manner.....:) Hopefully things start showing up over future updates.....:)
Let's not forget the FULL scope of characterization that can and does take place at times on these forums; there are also several of those folks that get nasty because posters criticize SCS or suggest an aspect of gameplay is missing or could be improved. AND let's not forget, it's not like SCS is doing something that another company CAN'T do. No, and frankly a few of the folks that make it sound like what's going on here is just mind-bogglingly advanced and not able to be duplicated are full of bulogna. That's a lie. There's a world of difference between being at the cutting edge of innovation, and carving out a piece of a small market pie. I have no doubt that IF IT WERE IN THE INTERESTS of another developer e.g. Snowrunner, Giants ect, they could certainly implement a vast open-world simulator. But it isn't, the market is small, and SCS is already ESTABLISHED. Frankly, while the look of the game is good and their graphic design folks put some good work together, nothing about anything else is all that innovative IMO, and I'd say the most appealing and valuable aspect to their portfolio isn't that map but rather the truck licensing. Period.
Last edited by Viper28 on 05 Jul 2022 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
J. Ritter

#62 Post by J. Ritter » 05 Jul 2022 16:31

Thanks, @PBandJ! I do love both SCS franchises, and while I would like to see things that aren't there, it was just bugging me that nobody had mentioned the map size/OTR feel aspect. Hooking up trailers and loading cargo is great, but kind of a letdown if I only get to drive for a couple of miles before having to unload/break it all down again! I do think some of this stuff will come in the future. People forget that things like cables in the first place and ownable trailers weren't always a thing, until they were, and some of those features were a bit of a surprise when announced. You never know what kind of feature will come up in the next OB or even in a blog post.
PBandJ

#63 Post by PBandJ » 05 Jul 2022 16:52

@Viper28 That is exactly why I gave kudos to him for doing it in a mature manner, both sides could learn from it....:)
Optional Features

#64 Post by Optional Features » 05 Jul 2022 17:52

J. Ritter wrote: 05 Jul 2022 15:21 However, when comparing other games, nobody has mentioned where SCS excels in my opinion, and that is the coverage of vast distances, and feeling of being "over the road." Snowrunner and Farm Sim is limited to one map area. Sure, in Snowrunner, you can take a tunnel, and go to a different map area. But, in ATS and ETS2, it is seamless unless it's somewhere requiring a ferry. For instance, If I'm going from Sheridan WY, to Las Cruces, NM, I just get on Interstate 25 and go. Or in ETS2, I can go from Romania to Spain without having to ever stop for a load screen. Now that is a vast distance. And sure, the time it takes is scaled down dramatically, but using the first example, I truly feel like I took a nice long drive across 3 states, especially on updated maps and new DLCs. And yes, there is more to trucking than driving, but let's be honest, that is probably the biggest aspect of the job, especially for OTR trucking. And before anyone says "well you can do that in car," sure. But, I want to drive vast highways while looking down the hood of a big rig (or out the big windows if using a cabover mod, ha!) while trying to get my cargo to the destination on time, and intact. I can step outside and drive a car through pretty scenery. The SCS games gives me the opportunity to do so while enjoying the trucks I love so much.
Agreed! The map is by far the best feature of the game, and that cannot be denied. While there are areas that need improvement, overall quality is decent at worst even if areas get cut due to scaling.
Stuff like Farm Sim is great for sandbox play, and for simulating some of the tasks associated with operating the equipment. For trucking, it is pretty great for doing local delivery work, since you are limited to a 16x16 map at most if you are using mods. However, I hate how the trucks handle, and though SCS physics may not be great to some, I feel they are miles better than FS, especially when it comes to truck handling. The tractors are okay. Snowrunner has great off-road and mud physics, but once again, on paved surfaces, the trucks are way too sensitive and will skate terribly, unless using a specific gearbox.
The largest Farming Sim map is now 45km by 45 km. If it used SCS scaling, that would be like 600 miles square, or probably just Montana or Wyoming would fit although the likelihood of someone putting that much effort into a map that size is very low.

But the physics of FS are a reason I continue to play this game. Some members of the forum fail to realize that a player can both critique and enjoy a product, but that is possible for both. If FS had better speed steering including wheel centering at speed, I could enjoy driving in that game much more.

Instead, I either can do a task (like drive a dump or log truck) or drive the truck with no functionality (a dump or log truck mod in ATS). There is no perfect blend of both, and perhaps there never will be. Would be nice, though.
Viper28 wrote: 05 Jul 2022 16:28 Let's not forget the FULL scope of characterization that can and does take place at times on these forums; there are also several of those folks that get nasty because posters criticize SCS or suggest an aspect of gameplay is missing or could be improved. AND let's not forget, it's not like SCS is doing something that another company CAN'T do. No, and frankly a few of the folks that make it sound like what's going on here is just mind-bogglingly advanced and not able to be duplicated are full of bulogna. That's a lie. There's a world of difference between being at the cutting edge of innovation, and carving out a piece of a small market pie. I have no doubt that IF IT WERE IN THE INTERESTS of another developer e.g. Snowrunner, Giants ect, they could certainly implement a vast open-world simulator. But it isn't, the market is small, and SCS is already ESTABLISHED. Frankly, while the look of the game is good and their graphic design folks put some good work together, nothing about anything else is all that innovative IMO, and I'd say the most appealing and valuable aspect to their portfolio isn't that map but rather the truck licensing. Period.
Pretty much any comparison between SCS and another developer is met with some hostility of some kind. Comparisons with GTA immediately go to money and how much Rockstar spent (on things that have nothing to do with potholes, grimy building textures, or the ability to walk around).

And mention of FS seems to immediately go to graphics, and even when functionality is pointed out, the responders continue to harp on how bad the graphics are (which they could be worse).

MSFS is how bad the map looks on the ground. BeamNG is "it's a crash simulator." And on and on.

I need to take the time to compile all the responses into one document, but the main two common ones are "if you don't like it, don't play." Not really a good promotion strategy, especially for fans who often have a lot of money and time invested into the game. Another is "make your own game." Again, not a good concept especially if someone were to succeed and actually rival SCS. And a third is "be patient" because six or ten years of development means the game is still in its infancy lol.

I can tell, though, that some of the members of this community are convinced that this is the best that could be done, and any attempt to criticize beyond one or two posts is as though I or others were insulting their mother's cooking.
PBandJ

#65 Post by PBandJ » 05 Jul 2022 19:13

lol.....I rest my case after that
Jimg123

#66 Post by Jimg123 » 06 Jul 2022 13:08

Good information is timeless.

;)
MT269

#67 Post by MT269 » 15 Jul 2022 15:23

Out of curiosity, what engine does TWA ('Truck world Australia') use?

[quote=HRTrucking post_id=1708878 time=1656002593 user_id=197245]

And a waiting time shouldn't be scaled down to 30 seconds. But to 1 or 2 in game hours in a city in front of a dock, to keep the realism.

Just like a closed road for a couple of in game hours on a motorway, nothing to do but listen to the radio and look outside to see if traffic starts moving again.
[/quote]

Sometimes I will drive at the in-game speed limit with freight market jobs though. In the scenario above, I would simply exit the game, and have the world regenerate.
I'm far too impatient when playing this game to be 'guided' by slow in-game mechanics. 120 minutes down the drain for supposed immersiveness is a no-no for me.

What a pity that one can't doze off IRL for 30 seconds, and suddenly have grey clouds and rain replaced by a clear sky and no congestion. But this can be a good thing in a game like ATS.

And why is this thread focusing on other truck sims? I thought the title said it all.

Edit: Why is the quote not embedding?
rookie31st

#68 Post by rookie31st » 15 Jul 2022 16:42

MT269 wrote: 15 Jul 2022 15:23Out of curiosity, what engine does TWA ('Truck world Australia') use?
Appears to be Unreal Engine 4
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
MT269

#69 Post by MT269 » 16 Jul 2022 03:48

Well then, it's a no-brainer. Won't buy anything using UE4 or newer. I don't have the bandwidth.

Return to “General discussion about the game”