SCS General Discussion Thread

SabR

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#19041 Post by SabR » 07 Aug 2022 16:33

Some newbie driver wrote: 06 Aug 2022 13:01 We can forget about seasons for a long long time with a 99,999999% confidence on that guess. The insane amount of mapping work they would require (and that it's going to grow every year) would be way better placed in get rid ASAP of all the old ugly mapped zones of the games, specially ETS2 as having more of those.

And consider that seasons mapping effort should be done in BOTH games approx at the same time; player base would not accept that only one of the games would receive such a change and having to indefinitely wait for it on the other.

So, granted, they are not coming for now, if ever.

Regards
This is horrifying but true
In ETS2, there's still plenty of old map left including GE & Scandinavia dlc to revisit.
O dear, seasons for both games could be as far as 5-7 yrs from now
Hope, we'd have some gameplay features in between these yrs to keep us occupied
JaDaKa

#19042 Post by JaDaKa » 07 Aug 2022 16:38

I hope an economy system overhaul will come sooner.

Regarding seasons what would exactly be needed? Edited textures for vegetation.. Lighting. And then it is the snow issue.

I know in Blender there was an addon created a year or so ago that automatically adds a snow layer on surfaces.
Not sure how much that could work (it did for farming sim as far as I know) but if it did, it would require all assets to be imported and have it applied of course.

That's the best case which I am not sure it can be applied on ETS. Time consuming but not impossible.

Is there anything else that should be taken under consideration for seasons? Physics, traction is just an edit of what we already have.
Underscore_101_

#19043 Post by Underscore_101_ » 07 Aug 2022 16:49

Physics and traction indeed, the ,... difficulty is that it makes a huge difference if it's fresh falling snow, or if it's snow that's turned to ice.

You can more or less plow through fresh snow with a heavy truck, you won't notice the difference, of course this depends a bit on how much snow has fallen, but "old" snow that's packed and turned to ice more or less, totally different physics.

So how are SCS going to implement that,... You can't go from all grip to no grip just because it started snowing, etc,..
We have some new rain physics that can be implemented somewhat for snow, but it's not the same.
JaDaKa

#19044 Post by JaDaKa » 07 Aug 2022 16:59

I don't think there is any issue regarding physics. Just an edit of the current parameters and a magnification of the rain effect already ingame.

Roads obviously will all be ploughed and clean with just snow on the sides.. I would imagine/expect just some frost texture on them.

I don't want it to become more complicated than that with chains etc.

It should mainly be about visuals and aesthetics.
Some newbie driver

#19045 Post by Some newbie driver » 07 Aug 2022 17:37

No issues regarding physics? Current physics don't consider lateral sliding, one of the biggest risks on sloppy surfaces like snowed one. Go figure.

Other seasons should include more dangerous weather that now it's almost non-existent. The lighting change improved rain, but there's still not really heavy episodes. Also included fog, but its not-so-hard one (cannot be worse either, because there's no fog lights mechanics still in the game). Hard wind gusts could add also an additional and interesting feature to the game (where windsocks are already depicted in lots of places). And all of this is the easy part; maybe complicated in some aspects, but in terms of amount of work, manageable.

The problem is the looks. First, there had to be a good documentation work on how it looks and changes everything depending on seasons. Then, the whole map (terrain and 3D assets) should be modified for them to be able to show different seasoned looks without having to redo its geometry. Then, all those looks should be made individually for all the 3D assets. Then, the map team should do the terrain and environmental changes for the different seasons and check everything fits.

At the start they could do a single new season (let's say, spring); and we would be able to manually change in options in which season we wanna drive all time. More seasons would be added with time. And only when we have all the seasons with their transient stages in the game (Pavel talked, time ago, of at least 1 of those between each season), then the change could be automatically done as time passed.

Due the lighting changes, they had to delay Iberia and other things for a couple of months because they had to put everybody checking the whole map. Every season or transient state could perfectly be as much work at that was or even more. So, in total, no less than 7 times the work the whole lighting change was. Probably a lot more.

Regards

EDIT: And I forget to mention that with other seasons, longer nights would come. So, it should be moment for the Moon to return back to the game, at least if they don't pretend to do it before.
oldmanclippy

#19046 Post by oldmanclippy » 07 Aug 2022 18:09

I'd rather wait to get a fully fleshed out seasons feature, than to get a superficial seasons feature sooner. There are tons of considerations, and probably even more than we can think of.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Trucker Nik

#19047 Post by Trucker Nik » 07 Aug 2022 18:58

Many more exciting features to come, in the future DX12, reworked traffic, improved game engine, seasons, buses, solid trucks, improved truck and trailer physics dirty trucks, truck washes in ATS and ETS2
xeviax

#19048 Post by xeviax » 07 Aug 2022 19:41

SabR wrote: 07 Aug 2022 16:33
Some newbie driver wrote: 06 Aug 2022 13:01 We can forget about seasons for a long long time with a 99,999999% confidence on that guess. The insane amount of mapping work they would require (and that it's going to grow every year) would be way better placed in get rid ASAP of all the old ugly mapped zones of the games, specially ETS2 as having more of those.

And consider that seasons mapping effort should be done in BOTH games approx at the same time; player base would not accept that only one of the games would receive such a change and having to indefinitely wait for it on the other.

So, granted, they are not coming for now, if ever.

Regards
This is horrifying but true
In ETS2, there's still plenty of old map left including GE & Scandinavia dlc to revisit.
O dear, seasons for both games could be as far as 5-7 yrs from now
Hope, we'd have some gameplay features in between these yrs to keep us occupied
In 5-7 years maps that are built today(or a few years back) will look old and ugly compared to the maps that are built then. So with this logic seasons will never come. :lol:
But when seasons come to both games we need a major improvement in physics. Also requiring chains for hauling some loads in winter would be nice too. Without proper physics, seasons will be only visually aesthetic.
SabR

#19049 Post by SabR » 08 Aug 2022 09:46

In 5-7 years maps that are built today(or a few years back) will look old and ugly compared to the maps that are built then. So with this logic seasons will never come. :lol:
@xeviax :lol: I said the same thing either here or to my discord friends when the idea of revisiting old map areas was first introduced to us by SCS. But realistically, I think revisiting old map areas is going to end with GE & Scandinavia DLC. I don't see it continuing to France, Italy DLC.
But when seasons come to both games we need a major improvement in physics. Also requiring chains for hauling some loads in winter would be nice too. Without proper physics, seasons will be only visually aesthetic.
I think pretty much every one talking about seasons agrees that physics has to be introduced/tweaked to match the weather changes. It can't be just cosmetic, which is why I agree with some newbie driver on this topic, seasons are far away.

R1G1D5 has a much better chance to arrive before seasons. ;)
Shiva

#19050 Post by Shiva » 08 Aug 2022 10:36

Some newbie driver wrote: 07 Aug 2022 17:37 No issues regarding physics? Current physics don't consider lateral sliding, one of the biggest risks on sloppy surfaces like snowed one. Go figure.
The sliding when truck stands still and it starts to slide off the road?

Seasons?
Some places on the map, it would be barely noticeable.
Others, green turns to yellowish, dry.
And others?
4 different seasons and the mix in it.

Snow? Ice?
snowslush?
black ice?
Roads so travelled that the snow and ice has been worn away?
Less travelled roads, where there is ice thick as 2inch/5cm or even more? + maybe even potholes in that ice?
Grip level? on snowy/icy road? that can range from almost as good grip as on asphalt, to a parked vehicle sliding off the road.

Some gravel roads do interact with the truck, somewhat similar to what a snowy/icy road would.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”