Excluding Chain-types and Chassis configs from paintjob?

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
MacCekko

Excluding Chain-types and Chassis configs from paintjob?

#1 Post by MacCekko » 07 Aug 2022 20:26

Hello to everyone.

Short Question:
Within a paintjob-Mod, is there a way to avoid that an SCS trailer paintjob was applied to certain types of chassis, or chain configurations, or even single-wheeled tailers? Is there a way to somehow exclude certain type of configurations, while including some others?

In my "paintjob.sii" file (def/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs.box/paintjob/accessory), I have seen that body configurations can be included via the lines

Code: Select all

acc_list[]: "body.curtain_78"
	acc_list[]: "body.curtain_136"
	acc_list[]: "body.dry_van_136"
	acc_list[]: "body.reefer_136"
and so on, and I was wondering if one could instead exclude some trailer_chain_types, or (chassis?) configurations as well with some rule.

Longer Question:
I was working on a paint-job for default SCS owned trailers, then I managed to extend the paintjob adding it to Krone and Schwarzmüller trailers as well, and I was quite glad.
Then I've noticed that my paintjob, for all SCS (scs.box) trailers, was being indistinctively applied by ETS2 as well to ALL box trailers, which is something I would not want at all.
For instance and to explain myself better, I would like my paintjob to be applied ONLY to single CHAIN-TYPE, but not to all Double, B-Double and HCT trailers and especially NOT to single-wheel trailers. And I am stuck, since I absolutely ignore how to exclude some types of Chain-Type, and Chassis configurations from a paint job, preventing ETS2 to apply them.

I know 'something' about trucks' paintjobs, but almost nothing for trailers.
I have opened a few paintjobs' Mods for trailers, but I have gained no better knowledge from this.
I dont know if it's even possible at all, so after a lot of searching on the net and mainly here at SCS Forums, I gave up.
But then I realized I could ask for some advice in this very forum, so here I am.

Thank you very much.
MoBo Asus ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi • Intel Core i7-13700KF (13th Gen) @ 3.4 GHz • Asus ROG Strix Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24 Gb • 32 Gb RAM • Win 10 Pro 64-bit • Asus ROG STRIX XG32UQ 32" monitor @ 4K (3840x2160) & 160 Hz
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Excluding Chain-types and Chassis configs from paintjob?

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 07 Aug 2022 21:29

you cant exclude in the sense of excluding something, what you can do is use a plain color as the base of the paintjob (in the main .sii) and then only add the bodies of the trailer you want to have the skin on via acc_list[]: (in the accessory .sii)
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
MacCekko

#3 Post by MacCekko » 07 Aug 2022 21:51

Carl, thanks for your answer.

Yes, that I know. One can add trailers' bodies types in the acc_list[]: in the .sii file inside the accessory folder, as per your explanation. This is (and was) clear to me.
I was wondering if there was a method, a trick, some way to actually PREVENT the simulator ETS2 from adding "my" paintjob to a configuration of trailers that I did not want to.

If there is NO WAY whatsoever, I will simply accept the fact, and will eventually create paintjobs for B-Double (or single wheeled configurations for that matter) trailers even if they do not actually exist in reality. But this seems better to me rather than selecting a trailer that shows my paintjob ticked but without actually showing it (I can see and change only the colour set by me within the .sui file).
All I am asking is that there is no workaround: in that case I will continue my 'work' with my soul in peace, so to say. :)
MoBo Asus ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi • Intel Core i7-13700KF (13th Gen) @ 3.4 GHz • Asus ROG Strix Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24 Gb • 32 Gb RAM • Win 10 Pro 64-bit • Asus ROG STRIX XG32UQ 32" monitor @ 4K (3840x2160) & 160 Hz
MacCekko

#4 Post by MacCekko » 08 Aug 2022 00:50

@xXCARL1992Xx,

on second thought – and reading one more time your answer (after many!) – I think I understand what you told me. Going to try it now. Perhaps, while I cannot avoid having all box bodies skinned, I can have those I don't want… to be painted with, say, a generic grey.
Launching TextEdit right away… ;)
Thanks again!
m1keY

#5 Post by m1keY » 08 Aug 2022 02:52

suitable_for / conflicts_with but this will give you more headaches than simple not apply your skin to configurations not meant to have the skin (worst case, skin will NOT appear at all) 😆
LadenSwallow

#6 Post by LadenSwallow » 08 Aug 2022 07:16

I have worked with "suitable_for[]: xyz.chassis" several times, and it has indeed some limits.
It obviously works only for the first chassis in your trailer configurations. So if you want to allow "b_double" but exclude "hct", this cannot be done, since the first trailer is identical and the differences are in the second/third trailer. 8-)
MacCekko

#7 Post by MacCekko » 08 Aug 2022 15:59

First thing first, I apologize to the whole board for having posted in the wrong area.

@LadenSwallow, yep, I had tried that "formulae" but something went wrong. Most likely I did not get the correct format right, but I am going to try again in light of your advice.
Also, if a "suitable_for[]:" is expected to work for a given "chassis", why cannot we use the same method and princple, to apply the same trick to, say, "configurations"?
Considering both cases, if it's "somehow" working for…

suitable_for[]: "ch_1.scs.box.chassis"
…would it be working for…

suitable_for[]: "single_2.scs.box.configurations"
…?
I have tried some tweaking with "configurations" but the icon of my paintjob it's not even appearing. :(

@m1keY,
yes, I am definiteky foreseeing a solution in your suggestions. I have noticed that you are very knowledgeable about the "trailers" subject, in fact!
In the end, my possible exit from all of this chaos would be to simply apply the skin to ALL bodies, Chain-types and Configurations, and never mind if 'some' trailers are not reflecting reality. I guess it's all a matter of some kind of "limits" of the Sim itself, but I absolutely can live with it.

Thank you both, very much. I appreciate it.
MacCekko

#8 Post by MacCekko » 08 Aug 2022 17:10

Guys, friends,

I don't actually know how I did it, but IT SEEMS that I in fact did.

Here is the "suitable_for[]:" list that I have inserted in my .sii file, within the "paint_job" folder.

suitable_for[]: "ch_2.scs.box.chassis"
	suitable_for[]: "ch_2a.scs.box.chassis"

suitable_for[]: "ch_3.scs.box.chassis"
	suitable_for[]: "ch_3_st_ax_r.scs.box.chassis"
	suitable_for[]: "ch_3_st_wh_r.scs.box.chassis"
	suitable_for[]: "ch_3_st_wh23.scs.box.chassis"

suitable_for[]: "ch_4.scs.box.chassis"
On a side note, the same principle is not working for the Krone Profiliner (which is the only one that can be "double"): seems to me there is no way to avoid using the Double trailer configuration for this given type of Krone trailer. And not just that: I also get an error within the Sim so that should I choose the Double trailers to apply my skin on, I cannot reverse it back, since the icon disappears.
Too bad. Will probably disable the whole Krone trailers for the MOD, and so be it, unless I am going to design the correct skin for the Krone Double as well, although AFAIK, the whole Krone line might not be in use for the paintjob in reality. Perhaps I will do the same for Schwarzmüller trailers as well, although they are in fact working as expected. I have to think this over.

Anyway, pertaining SCS Box Trailers, this is exactly (EXACTLY!) what I was looking for. A single trailer, with 2/3/4 axles (not sure about the fourth axle, yet, so I will try to find out some more documentation), but no Double, no B-Double, no CHT and especially, no single axle trailer appearing at all!
Meaning that the icon of my Mod, is not even appearing on those different configurations/bodies/chassis/chain-types for which I did not want to. My goal seems to have been reached.

I did it (or so it seems so), but without your help I would not have accomplished that. So I thank you so much. As always, this forum proves to be an essential asset for knowledge.
Cheers to everybody.

Return to “Help requests”